HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Queens Of The Stone Age

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:37 am

I know how this thread is going to go.....


Anyone else love QOTSA? Not my favorite of the ex-Kyuss bands, but still very talented guys. I haven't heard much after 2005, but their first four albums are seriously kick ass in my opinion.

Who's with me?

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:45 am

I love all of their stuff. I think Era Vulgaris was also a great album, it just took a little longer to sink in. Each of their albums has a very specific vibe to it and they are all basically "project" albums with all the guest appearances. Criss Goss' continued participation with the band is another bonus.

I would also classify the "Them Crooked Vultures" album as basically a new QOTSA record.

I was living in Seattle when QOTSA had their CD release party for the debut album at the OK hotel. I got so drunk that I ended up passing out in the back seat of Josh Homme's car for awhile.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24439
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:01 pm

I first heard of them when we got a free promo copy of Rated R sent to work as a new release. I vaugly remember listening to it, thinking it was very weird and not to my liking.

Fast forward a few years and I hear about these guys again with Songs for the Deaf. Still didn't know much about them, but hearing Dave Grohl on drums piqued my interest. Picked up a copy and enjoyed it very much for awhile. Then it got shelved and I forgot about it. When their next album came out, I passed. I got caught-up in the new wave of "garage rock" bands that were getting all the press at the time (White Stripes, Strokes, et al) and was more interested in metal & thrash.

A few weeks ago, I gave Songs for the Deaf a fresh spin, deciding if it was gonna be a keeper or thrown into the pile for trade. I still like it and now I'm beginning to re-think my opinion of these guys. While I'm in no immediate rush to do so, I might invest in their music again.

Where should one begin? At the beginning seems like a logical place, right?

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Yeah, but their first album is OOP, so resellers are trying to pay for their children's college funds with the proceeds from their eBay auction of the CD.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24439
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Yeah, but their first album is OOP, so resellers are trying to pay for their children's college funds with the proceeds from their eBay auction of the CD.



^^Is that one their debut?^^ I know I've seen it in the used bins over the years. You don't forget a cover like that. I'll have to keep my eyes out for it next time I go dumpster diving.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Yeah, that's the debut. Any one of the first three are their best, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11470
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 pm

detuned wrote:
I would also classify the "Them Crooked Vultures" album as basically a new QOTSA record.
A bad one.

Really dig the Queens, though. Not a favorite, but they get it done.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 pm

I really like that album, it's experimental in a way that appeals to me.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11470
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 pm

detuned wrote:
I really like that album, it's experimental in a way that appeals to me.
I was seriously disappointed with it. I'll give it more tries, of course, but considering the personnel, I expected much better.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24439
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
detuned wrote:
I really like that album, it's experimental in a way that appeals to me.
I was seriously disappointed with it. I'll give it more tries, of course, but considering the personnel, I expected much better.

Let me know if you want to part with it.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 15315
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm not a huge QOTSA fan. I think they're ok. I love Kyuss. But I prefer Unida, Slo-Burn and Hermano over QOTSA.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
avatar

Number of posts : 4958
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Love Queens. One of the first bands I got into big time. Songs For The Deaf and Era Vulgaris are my favorites by them.
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist


Number of posts : 410
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:11 pm

I have the first thing they ever did-the Kyuss/QOTSA split on Man's ruin. Is that worth anything?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 27307
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I gave this band a shot with "Songs For The Deaf" only because former Screaming Trees vocalist Mark Lanegan was on vox.

Their music just isn't my thing.

_________________
"From what I’m gleaning, the problem in America isn’t guns, it’s stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
avatar

Number of posts : 4958
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:06 pm

The promo things for Era Vulgaris are awesome;


Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:09 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
I have the first thing they ever did-the Kyuss/QOTSA split on Man's ruin. Is that worth anything?

Yes
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24439
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:54 am

Bump for a question...

The other day, my used copy of Era Vulgaris arrived in the mail. Inside, there was a promo card with a code to download an "exclusive track" from Circuit City. The promo expired on 07.12.07 and Circuit City is no more.

Does anyone know what the track was and/or where I can get it?

EDIT: Nevermind. It's just a remixed version of the track 'I'm Designer' from the album. Bah!

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24439
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 am

Dave's back behind the kit for the next QOTSA album...

Quote :
Dave Grohl has returned to the drumkit for Queens of the Stone Age, Josh Homme has confirmed.

The Foo Fighters mainman is currently working on the band’s sixth album, after previous incumbent Joey Castillo’s departure. He replaced Grohl in 2002 following the recording of QOTSA’s breakthrough release Songs for the Deaf.

Now Homme, who collaborated with Grohl and Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones in Them Crooked Vultures, says things have come full circle.

He tells the BBC: “We parted ways with our drummer, Joey, who I love dearly. Dave is playing drums on this record as well, in the studio.

“He and I have this wonderful musical relationship we don’t have with other people and it started with Songs for the Deaf. Here it is three records later, and the feeling is the same.

“It was more about the search for something classic. If we’re going to do this I’d really like to put everything I have into it and make it a record somebody can really fall in love with.

“It’s a very cool and comfortable position. That kind of energy is everywhere. You almost have to wipe it off at the end of the day.”

It’s not yet known if Grohl will tour with QOTSA, although he recently confirmed the Foo Fighters were on hiatus. Homme’s band are scheduled to make their first-ever appearance at the UK’s Download festival next year. The album is expected to be released before the event in June.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1635
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dave's back behind the kit for the next QOTSA album...

Quote :
Dave Grohl has returned to the drumkit for Queens of the Stone Age, Josh Homme has confirmed.

The Foo Fighters mainman is currently working on the band’s sixth album, after previous incumbent Joey Castillo’s departure. He replaced Grohl in 2002 following the recording of QOTSA’s breakthrough release Songs for the Deaf.

Now Homme, who collaborated with Grohl and Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones in Them Crooked Vultures, says things have come full circle.

He tells the BBC: “We parted ways with our drummer, Joey, who I love dearly. Dave is playing drums on this record as well, in the studio.

“He and I have this wonderful musical relationship we don’t have with other people and it started with Songs for the Deaf. Here it is three records later, and the feeling is the same.

“It was more about the search for something classic. If we’re going to do this I’d really like to put everything I have into it and make it a record somebody can really fall in love with.

“It’s a very cool and comfortable position. That kind of energy is everywhere. You almost have to wipe it off at the end of the day.”

It’s not yet known if Grohl will tour with QOTSA, although he recently confirmed the Foo Fighters were on hiatus. Homme’s band are scheduled to make their first-ever appearance at the UK’s Download festival next year. The album is expected to be released before the event in June.



Works for me! Songs For The Deaf is a monster record. I'm excited to see what Homme/Grohl comes up with next.

I think the Foos have hit a wall. Where do they go now? They have nothing left to prove. I think that's probably on the guys' minds as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24439
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Songs for the Deaf was my intro to the band and my initial interest was because of Dave's involvement, so I'm cool with him back in the fold.

And yea, the Foos are gonna have their work cut out for them trying to top that last album. They've finally got rid of the alternative/grunge/former drummer tag and have proven they can sell-out arenas, play small clubs, play acoustic, whatever.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm not surprised to see Dave back at all. He was ready to disband Foo Fighters and join QOTSA full-time back when he did Songs For The Deaf. Josh talked him out of that because he informed Dave that Queens would never be "his" band and Josh knew that Dave's passion was to be the leader of a group, not just "the drummer".

I'm looking forward to hearing new material from these guys.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24439
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 pm


_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4114
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:47 am

S.D. wrote:
I'm not surprised to see Dave back at all. He was ready to disband Foo Fighters and join QOTSA full-time back when he did Songs For The Deaf. Josh talked him out of that because he informed Dave that Queens would never be "his" band and Josh knew that Dave's passion was to be the leader of a group, not just "the drummer".

I'm looking forward to hearing new material from these guys.

Im not surprised either, One thing I like about Dave Grohl is that he spreads himself out there, I heard the Foos were talking of a hiatus again, theyve earned it despite the fact that Grohl had awhile back posted on the Foos official website that the next album was being written. I wonder how long this will last? I dont think its a bad thing dont get me wrong, Im sure at some point we'll also see another Them Crooked Vultures album. Im gonna have to check out Songs for the Deaf
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:18 am

Addy wrote:
Im gonna have to check out Songs for the Deaf

Most definitely, it's a stunning record. I played that album constantly when it first came out, Grohl really brings it on drums.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4114
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 am

Not to mention I like the sound of the singer (cant remember his name) too but yeah Dave's one of my favorite drummers
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Queens Of The Stone Age   

Back to top Go down
 
Queens Of The Stone Age
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Addies: Cue Club, Queens NY. 1995
» Silverhawk v Stonelove v Black Stone: 1990
» Stone love vs Body Guard vs Innercity 94
» City Rock v Stone Love: Spanish Town, JA 1991
» Inner City vs Stone Love 1993

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: