0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm

So... what's your favorite Mercyful Fate album? Honestly, this is almost impossible for me, but I guess I like the original EP the best. Early MF is the perfect synthesis between Maiden and Priest as far as I'm concerned, and I just dig the rawer vibe on the EP. In terms of pure, traditional heavy metal, Nuns Have No Fun is pretty much the pinnacle.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 12801

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Mon May 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Picked Melissa, but could have easily picked Don't Break The Oath - both are AWESOME albums and part of the soundtrack of my high school years!
Back to top Go down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Mon May 03, 2010 9:34 pm

I went with Melissa. I bought that album as in impulse purchase because of the cover, a wise decision in hindsight.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss

Number of posts : 19530

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Mon May 03, 2010 10:19 pm

I went with 'Melissa' an album that still sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's

Number of posts : 31214

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Tue May 04, 2010 8:15 am

DON'T BREAK THE OATH! Nothin sez "metal" like a big ole flamin' Satan on your album cover. Laughing

Tho truthfully, anything with the MF name on it was golden up to and including INTO THE UNKNOWN.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 2064

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Tue May 04, 2010 10:25 am

I went with Don't Break The Oath - Pure brilliance!
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 7550

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm

Wow, really tough for me since I like everything except Dead Again. To me that album was a huge flop. They broke up the duo of Denner and Sherman and lost the magic they had together. Don't get me wrong, Mike Wead is a great guitar player and he has done some great things with King Diamond but he just didn't fit well with Mercyful Fate.

I picked In The Shadows. This is probably one of the best come back albums by any band. Its almost like they never broke up. I believe this was my first Mercyful Fate album. I bought it as soon as it came out. I loved the song Egypt. I remember Headbangers Ball would play it every once in a while.

If I didn't pick In The Shadows, it would have been Into The Unknown. Once again another great album and I really liked the production.

Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 5012

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Tue May 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Went with Melissa
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 14000

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Tue May 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Don't Break The Oath!!
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 am

I might be in the minority here, but I've never been a big fan of the reunion discs. Everything they did during their original tenure is of course impeccable. The first riff on The Oath might be the best riff ever conceived... but then again, the same could be said for A Corpse Without a Soul... and Evil... and Doomed By the Living Dead... and... and...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's

Number of posts : 31214

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
They broke up the duo of Denner and Sherman and lost the magic they had together. Don't get me wrong, Mike Wead is a great guitar player and he has done some great things with King Diamond but he just didn't fit well with Mercyful Fate.

Word up homey.

Without the Shermann/Denner guitar team, MF might as well have been King Diamond's solo band...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 am

Only the original line up is truly MF imo. Sherman, Denner, Ruzz, Hansen and The King.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Wed May 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Only the original line up is truly MF imo. Sherman, Denner, Ruzz, Hansen and The King.

True, but what are bands to do when a few original members don't have interest in it anymore and want to move onto something else? Are those bands just suppose to quit? Sherman, Denner, and King are Mercyful Fate. Hansen was a great bass player but he seemed like he was kind of all over the place being in the band being out of the band etc. Then Kim Ruzz was an ok drummer, but nothing blew me away with his playing he wasn't an original member either. I think Snowy Shaw is one of the better ones but Bjorn is equally as good.

Scurvy Skalliwag

Number of posts : 9680

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Wed May 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Melissa and Don't Break The Oath are my favorites, went with the latter as my choice...

Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:

True, but what are bands to do when a few original members don't have interest in it anymore and want to move onto something else? Are those bands just suppose to quit? Sherman, Denner, and King are Mercyful Fate. Hansen was a great bass player but he seemed like he was kind of all over the place being in the band being out of the band etc. Then Kim Ruzz was an ok drummer, but nothing blew me away with his playing he wasn't an original member either. I think Snowy Shaw is one of the better ones but Bjorn is equally as good.

Nah, I just think that was the best line up for MF. I applaud them for going on, but I'd rather put on Melissa, Nuns Have No Fun or Don't Break the Oath than the newer stuff. Still, if it makes 'em happy to do MF with new musicians, go for it.
Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Thu May 13, 2010 7:36 am

Don't Break The Oath wins!!! This is THE ultimate black metal abum! Evil as can be... Mercyful Fate's finest moment!

But sadly just like King Diamond I saw them several times... King rocks on records but blows live.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15192

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Sat May 15, 2010 3:24 am

Don't Break the Oath
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   Sat May 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Doomdance wrote:
Don't Break The Oath wins!!! This is THE ultimate black metal abum! Evil as can be... Mercyful Fate's finest moment!

But sadly just like King Diamond I saw them several times... King rocks on records but blows live.

Wow... I didn't see you say this earlier, but really? You think he sucks live? Of course he can't hit some of those notes all the time because theres just so much over dubbing in the studio albums but I think he does a great job.

PostSubject: Re: Best Mercyful Fate recording?   

Back to top Go down

Best Mercyful Fate recording?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1