HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Monster Magnet

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:33 am

Well this sucks...right after the new album comes out and the tour is supposed to begin.

Quote :


Guitarist Ed Mundell has left Monster Magnet for ‘personal reasons’. He’s been with the band for 10 years.

Commenting on this decision, Magnet mainman Dave Wyndorf says: “What can I say? Ed told me this two months ago and I gave him some time for him to perhaps reconsider but no go. It’s a bummer, yeah but we’ve been through this kind of thing before. Make no mistake, Monster Magnet goes on….Phil Caivano and Garrett Sweeny are handling dual guitar chores.”

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:40 am

Dave writes all the music, for the most part, so while Ed was great in the band, I don't foresee much of a change.

And this album is AWESOME, by the way. Every song is fantastic, even the bonus tracks.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Yea, I guess it's always been Dave's band. He's the only original member, isn't he? He's like the Dave Mustaine of stoner rock. Still stinks when you lose a key member after all those years. Oh well, like he said, MM carries on.

I haven't picked the new one up yet, but I intend to, hopefully sooner than later.

Does Ed still play in the Atomic B*tchwax? Maybe he's gonna focus on that band instead.

EDIT: Ok, so Ed's been out of Atomic B*tchwax since '02. D'oh! My bad.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3774
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:44 pm

I remember MM from '98 with that Space Lord video that was a parody of one of Puffy's video from that time. I thought it was funny back then, but the again, I was barely 18. Maybe I just didn't get them then. I liked the new video you posted Eyesore.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:54 pm

GrandNational wrote:
I remember MM from '98 with that Space Lord video that was a parody of one of Puffy's video from that time. I thought it was funny back then, but the again, I was barely 18. Maybe I just didn't get them then. I liked the new video you posted Eyesore.
Did they do a parody of another video? Haha. Not being a P. Diddy fan, I'd have no idea.

But yeah, man, they're a brilliant band. You should definitely check them out.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 pm



Not sure what specific Diddy video they're trying to parody here (if any), but they're using that fish-eye lens that was all the rage a few years ago, along with shiney suits, money and dancing girls. Nifty video, cool tune.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 16004
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 pm

This is on the wants list.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 am

BUMPING from the Dead Zone which noone will see...oh well.

I'm loving the new album. Sounds like they're going back to a little spacier/stoner sound from their earlier stuff, as opposed to the last few that were more 70's rock oriented. Good either way though.

I lucked out on ebay and got the super-duper deluxe box set with bonus tracks and a flash drive for a steal. Neat-o!!

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
BUMPING from the Dead Zone which noone will see...oh well.

I'm loving the new album. Sounds like they're going back to a little spacier/stoner sound from their earlier stuff, as opposed to the last few that were more 70's rock oriented. Good either way though.

I lucked out on ebay and got the super-duper deluxe box set with bonus tracks and a flash drive for a steal. Neat-o!!
Yeah, it's a fantastic album. The bonus track, "Fuzz Pig," has such an old school flavor to it, like something from Spine of God.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
BUMPING from the Dead Zone which noone will see...oh well.

I'm loving the new album. Sounds like they're going back to a little spacier/stoner sound from their earlier stuff, as opposed to the last few that were more 70's rock oriented. Good either way though.

I lucked out on ebay and got the super-duper deluxe box set with bonus tracks and a flash drive for a steal. Neat-o!!
Yeah, it's a fantastic album. The bonus track, "Fuzz Pig," has such an old school flavor to it, like something from Spine of God.

Yea, I'm finally caught up with their entire discography (except for the rare MM ep) and some of their early stuff is waaaayyy out there. Very spacey. Good at the right times, but not something to listen to while driving.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
BUMPING from the Dead Zone which noone will see...oh well.

I'm loving the new album. Sounds like they're going back to a little spacier/stoner sound from their earlier stuff, as opposed to the last few that were more 70's rock oriented. Good either way though.

I lucked out on ebay and got the super-duper deluxe box set with bonus tracks and a flash drive for a steal. Neat-o!!
Yeah, it's a fantastic album. The bonus track, "Fuzz Pig," has such an old school flavor to it, like something from Spine of God.

Yea, I'm finally caught up with their entire discography (except for the rare MM ep) and some of their early stuff is waaaayyy out there. Very spacey. Good at the right times, but not something to listen to while driving.
Yeah, the stoner aspect of the first few was in full effect. Haha. Superjudge is where they really came into their own, in my opinion.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm

So Monster Magnet just released a second limited-to-500 10" EP on their own label, Studio 13. It was a tour exclusive, but they're now selling the leftovers.

They released the first one last year, which I totally missed. Bummer! That EP has two tracks, a re-recorded, stripped down version of "Superjudge," described as "as heavy and psychedelic as the original, all spaced out with spidery Eastern guitar melodies, minimal drumming, and some SERIOUSLY fuzzed out bass buzz." The second track is supposedly a similarly re-recorded version of "She Digs That Hole," from Mastermind.

Anyway, here's the new one:



This one has re-recorded versions of “King Of Mars,” “All Friends and Kingdom Come,” and “Dopes To Infinity.” Wyndorf describes them as "Lo-fi, decidedly deranged and extremely psychedelic."

You can order it here: https://www.aquariusrecords.org

I just ordered my copy. The order form looks like one from the early 90s, and they charge an additional $2 for Paypal use (I guess they don't Paypal raping them on fees, haha). Anyway, it costs $8.98 plus shipping. I doubt these will last long, so snag a copy now if you want one.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1223
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:25 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:


Not sure what specific Diddy video they're trying to parody here (if any), but they're using that fish-eye lens that was all the rage a few years ago, along with shiney suits, money and dancing girls. Nifty video, cool tune.

I like the dancers. Reminds me of the WCW Nitro Girls. happy
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 22761
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:


Not sure what specific Diddy video they're trying to parody here (if any), but they're using that fish-eye lens that was all the rage a few years ago, along with shiney suits, money and dancing girls. Nifty video, cool tune.

Actually, it was a parody of Ma$e - Feel So Good. Puff Daddy (or P. Diddy, or whatever name he goes by these days) does appear in the video, though.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 am

Eyesore wrote:
So Monster Magnet just released a second limited-to-500 10" EP on their own label, Studio 13. It was a tour exclusive, but they're now selling the leftovers.

They released the first one last year, which I totally missed. Bummer! That EP has two tracks, a re-recorded, stripped down version of "Superjudge," described as "as heavy and psychedelic as the original, all spaced out with spidery Eastern guitar melodies, minimal drumming, and some SERIOUSLY fuzzed out bass buzz." The second track is supposedly a similarly re-recorded version of "She Digs That Hole," from Mastermind.

Anyway, here's the new one:



This one has re-recorded versions of “King Of Mars,” “All Friends and Kingdom Come,” and “Dopes To Infinity.” Wyndorf describes them as "Lo-fi, decidedly deranged and extremely psychedelic."

You can order it here: https://www.aquariusrecords.org

I just ordered my copy. The order form looks like one from the early 90s, and they charge an additional $2 for Paypal use (I guess they don't Paypal raping them on fees, haha). Anyway, it costs $8.98 plus shipping. I doubt these will last long, so snag a copy now if you want one.

I couldn't find it on that link, so maybe they're sold-out already? Altough it could be "operator error". That website is a b*tch to navigate. Not that I was gonna get it anyway. I'm too cheap to spend $9 bucks on 3 songs.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:11 pm

So here are the re-recorded versions of "Superjudge" and "She Digs That Hole."





Great stuff!

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:25 am

New album coming in October! And they're touring the US with Zodiac!



MONSTER MAGNET are back!  The band has confirmed an October 15th North American release date for their new album entitled Last Patrol via Napalm Records.  Today MONSTER MAGNET has unveiled the artwork and tracklisting for Last Patrol.  Dave Wyndorf and Phil Caivano produced Last Patrol, while Evil Joe Barresit mixed the album with additional production duties handled by Matt Hyde.  The artwork was created by Johun Sumrow with consultation coming from Chris Ryall and designs by Ryan Clark for Invisible Creatures Inc.  The album will be available as a Limited Edition CD, standard CD, 2LP and digital format.

In support of Last Patrol, MONSTER MAGNET will be embarking on a full-blown North American Tour!  Although the band has toured Europe relentlessly over the past decade, this is MONSTER MAGNET’s first full North American tour in over 10 years!  The band is eager to hit the road in the states for the first time in what seems like forever.  Prepare to hear MONSTER MAGNET classics and new cuts from Last Patrol for the first time live! Support will come from Prosthetic Records artist Zodiac.  The tour is scheduled to kick off November 14th in Grand Rapids, MI and will run through December 14th in New York, NY.

Frontman and MONSTER MAGNET mastermind Dave Wyndorf checked in with his thoughts about Last Patrol:

“Last Patrol is a return to our roots in terms of vibe and recording style. It’s full-on psychedelic space-rock with a 60’s garage feel, recorded almost exclusively with vintage guitars, amps and effects in our hometown of Red Bank, NJ. The songs are a kind of Space-Noir, tales of cosmic revenge, peaking libidos, alienation and epic strangeness. It’s a weird trip through the back alleys of a dark, retro-future, which not by coincidence very much resembles my own life. (laughs) The lyrics aren’t fantasy really, rather a recounting of my musings on, observations of and general emotional reaction to my life and environment during a 1 week writing period in February of 2013. But I tend to use the vernacular and imagery of science fiction and surrealism to express myself and that’s where these lyrics get trippy. There's also our cover version of Donovan’s “Three Kingfishers” which I thought fit the mood of the album.”

“Last Patrol was produced by Phil Caivano and myself with an effort to bring a home grown feel to the whole affair. We had been doing smaller projects out of Phil's “Studio 13” recording space and I really felt comfortable there so it was the natural choice on where to record the next full-scale Monster Magnet album. Phil and I grew up together and have a shared love of some very particular vintage music and styles. And everybody in the band played their asses off on this one.”

Today the first song from Last Patrol is receiving its exclusive premiere courtesy of The Obelisk.  
Check out the song entitled “The Duke” HERE.



Last Patrol Tracklisting:

   I Live Behind the Clouds
   Last Patrol
   Three King Fishers
   Paradise
   Hallelujah
   Mindless Ones
   The Duke
   End of Time
   Stay Tuned



MONSTER MAGNET North American Tour:
11/14: Grand Rapids, MI @ Intersection
11/15: Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews
11/16: Chicago, IL @ Bottom Lounge
11/17: Minneapolis, MN @ Mill City Nights
11/19: Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater
11/20: Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
11/22: Seattle, WA @ Neumos
11/23: Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theater
11/24: Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
11/26: San Francisco, CA @ The Independent
11/27: Los Angeles, CA @ House of Blues
11/29: Tempe, AZ @ Club Red
11/30: Albuquerque, NM @ Launch Pad
12/2: Austin, TX @ Red 7
12/3: Houston, TX @ Fitzgeralds
12/4: Dallas, TX @ Trees
12/6: Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
12/7: Charlotte, NC @ Amos Southend
12/8: Baltimore, MD @ Baltimore Sound Stage
12/10: Toronto, ON @ Lee’s Palace
12/12: Boston, MA @ Sinclair
12/13: West Chester, PA @ The Note
12/14: New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom

headbanger headbanger headbanger 

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 16004
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:49 am

I dug the new song. It sounds like it could have easily fit on Dopes To Infinity.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 pm

nevermore wrote:
I dug the new song. It sounds like it could have easily fit on Dopes To Infinity.
It's pretty mellow, which seems to have fan a bit annoyed, but it's solid.

The last album was kinda mellow, too. I wonder if this is a result of a sober Dave?

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:53 am

Bitchin cover. Looking forward to new MM. The last one was a bit more on the mellow side and dosen't get picked from the shelf as often as some others, but it's still good MM. Just gotta be in the right frame of mind (and not behind the wheel of my car) for their more spacey stuff.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:35 pm

New tune:


_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Sweet!

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24625
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:03 am

Dang. Wish I was closer...

Quote :
MONSTER MAGNET will perform live at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, New Jersey on Monday, October 14 at 7 p.m. Those wishing to attend this special, intimate gig must pre-order MONSTER MAGNET's new album, "Last Patrol", at VVinyl.com, thereby entitling them to an entry wristband for the event.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:25 pm



headbanger 

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11609
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Just posted this on Facebook; figured I'd re-post it here.

Quote :
Just spun the new Monster Magnet, James, and it's excellent. Like the last few albums, it's a bit on the mellower side, but I think that's what we get with a sober Dave. Fine by me, really, because the songs are great.

And I really love Dave's lyrics. Literary psychedelia.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Monster Magnet   

Back to top Go down
 
Monster Magnet
Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Tony Royster the master monster drummer
» My Favorite Monster (English)
» New DTS 5.1 & CD George Benson 'Songs and Stories'
» Op and End Anime yg Enak Didenger..
» MAMI - Monster Hunter

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: