HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
58%
 58% [ 23 ]
Deep Purple
42%
 42% [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 40
 

AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 788
Age : 31

PostSubject: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Id vote for Led Zeppelin because their music is better but on the other hand Deep Purple has better musicians than LZ like Ian Gillain is way better than Robert Plant when it comes to singing and Ritchie Blackmore is way better than Jimmy Page on guitar. But I find Deep Purple's music really really boring except for Highway star and Smoke on the water, I also saw them live back in 2004 and everyone in the audience was constantly asking them to play smoke on the water.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19572
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:37 pm

I choose Deep Purple because Deep Purple to me are one of the greatest bands of all time, they featured three excellent guitarist (Richie Blackmore, Tommy Bolin, Steve Morse, and if you want to count Joe Satrini who played with Deep Purple for the rest of 1993-94 tour), four expectional vocalist ( Ian Gillan, David Coverdale, Glen Hughes, and Joe Lynn Turner), one of rock's greatest ivory players (Jon Lord) and one hell of drummer in Ian Paice.

Love 'em both, and both of them, along with Black Sabbath created the template for what would the music that would become known as heavy metal, but I am a huge Deep Purple fan, moreso then I am a Led Zeppelin fan.

Deep Purple music boring? That statement is 100% bullsh!t but you have a right to your opinion even if you are wrong.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3774
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Led Zeppelin for the opposite side of Manny's coin in my own view and perspective: Only 1 vocalist who had more charisma than all DP vocalists combined. Only 1 guitar player who took heavy higher than all DP guitarists combined. Only 1 genius of a bass player who had more musical ability than all DP bassists combined. And only 1 drummer who revolutionized the instrument like no drummer before had and laid that heavy beat down to show why the cannons he was exploding is the key to real heaviness.

Also, the fact that the first three DP albums were pop oriented rock and the fact that they followed Zeppelin to be heavier makes LZ head above shoulders than DP.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
avatar

Number of posts : 9151
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:17 pm

i like Zeppelin better

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 109
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Very simple: Led Zeppelin

Why? Zeppelin had Bonham.
Why part II? Zeppelin never released one weak album, and Deep Purple released some terrible stuff.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19572
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:29 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Led Zeppelin for the opposite side of Manny's coin in my own view and perspective: Only 1 vocalist who had more charisma than all DP vocalists combined. Only 1 guitar player who took heavy higher than all DP guitarists combined. Only 1 genius of a bass player who had more musical ability than all DP bassists combined. And only 1 drummer who revolutionized the instrument like no drummer before had and laid that heavy beat down to show why the cannons he was exploding is the key to real heaviness.

Also, the fact that the first three DP albums were pop oriented rock and the fact that they followed Zeppelin to be heavier makes LZ head above shoulders than DP.


I love Led Zep but I disagree with really only a couple of things, Blackmore helped metal guitar evolve away from its blues roots by incorporating classical and jazz into his playing, IMO Ian Gillan and David Coverdale are just as charismatic as Plant is, and IMO Blackmore is a way better guitartist. Of course IMO Blackmore and Page's style are almost impossible to compare.

I can't disagree with your statement regarding Bonham and Jones, incredible rhythm section, also Blackmore took creative reins of the band after hearing Zeppelin's first two albums leading Purple into a heavier direction. So Zeppelin helped inspire Deep Purple in a strange way, but I stand by my choice of Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 26510
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:55 pm

I voted LZ because I find their music to be more diverse and therefore more interesting.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24147
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Led Zeppelin.

Been a fan since high school and they broke up pretty much at their peak of both popularity and creativity. We never got to see them in their "suck" phase.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1268
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:00 pm

If I put aside the fact that LZ is in another stratosphere as far as being way overplayed, I'll still give the nod to Zeppelin for having a wider catalog of music that is more memorable. Their songs are more complete and seem to have more direction, alot of DP's songs seem to eventually turn into jam sessions (live they both turn 8 munite tracks into 23 minute tracks) but Zeppelin seemed to have a greater vision as far as studio albums go.

I love Deep Purple, they had a small chunk of time where they were simply phenominal and even 20-30 years later they still brought the goods on album and in concert. Zeppelin can't say that (from no fault of their own that Bonham died).

Led Zeppelin's first 4 albums > Deep Puple's first 4 albums

Deep Purple's next 4 albums > Zepppelin's next 4 albums ( album's five to eight)

Live: slight edge to LZ

Overall: Led Zeppelin better than Deep Purple, but not by a whole lot.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3361
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:21 pm

I went with Deep Purple but I'll admit for the most part LZ has flown under my radar. I've liked everything I've ever heard but just haven't ever checked out enough of their stuff. Someday I should really do that.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3774
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:26 pm

manny wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Led Zeppelin for the opposite side of Manny's coin in my own view and perspective: Only 1 vocalist who had more charisma than all DP vocalists combined. Only 1 guitar player who took heavy higher than all DP guitarists combined. Only 1 genius of a bass player who had more musical ability than all DP bassists combined. And only 1 drummer who revolutionized the instrument like no drummer before had and laid that heavy beat down to show why the cannons he was exploding is the key to real heaviness.

Also, the fact that the first three DP albums were pop oriented rock and the fact that they followed Zeppelin to be heavier makes LZ head above shoulders than DP.


I love Led Zep but I disagree with really only a couple of things, Blackmore helped metal guitar evolve away from its blues roots by incorporating classical and jazz into his playing, IMO Ian Gillan and David Coverdale are just as charismatic as Plant is, and IMO Blackmore is a way better guitartist. Of course IMO Blackmore and Page's style are almost impossible to compare.

I can't disagree with your statement regarding Bonham and Jones, incredible rhythm section, also Blackmore took creative reins of the band after hearing Zeppelin's first two albums leading Purple into a heavier direction. So Zeppelin helped inspire Deep Purple in a strange way, but I stand by my choice of Deep Purple.

I agree that Blackmore and Page are impossible to compare, and technically Blackmore was a better musican, but I still enjoy Page's riffs and his incorporation of the heavier side blues on the first 3 albums.

Don't get me wrong Manny, I do love Gillan's voice and presence, Plant gets the extra nod for his lyrics and mystical vibe, plus I personally like his vocals slightly better than Gillan or Coverdale.

What it all boils down for me in giving the edge to Zep is their vision of the band from the start, their stability as 4 musicians carving their own destiny, and a more heavier sound overall. DP's has gone through too many changes, members, and incarnations (which is not necessarily a bad thing, since I love all eras of Black Sabbath), so it's just my own opinion on this poll.

I would have rather liked to see Led Zep vs. the Who instead, or Deep Purple vs. Black Sabbath, as they have more in common with each other band wise.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2546
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Zeppelin, no question. I was raised on them, they're responsible for most my tastes. To this day, I can never get over how great Plant's voice was in their heyday.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 21637
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I voted for Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4191
Age : 58

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Purple by a mile, Zep ended when Bonham died rather than go on. Sure DP had some crappy music but at least they went forward with new music. I love Zep but you can only stand so much of the same s hit.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Hate Forest
Metal novice
Metal novice
avatar

Number of posts : 36
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Led Zeppelin, my favourite band.

Jimmy Page is my god.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1773
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Deep Purple to me. There are legends of rock, and one of the best rock bands in history, I wouldn't say the best, since there is thin lizzy
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
avatar

Number of posts : 6432
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Deep purple
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22559
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Deep Purple

_________________
The_King_Game_of_Thrones
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Yet more bands that really shouldn't be compared with each other. Both inarguable classic bands, each with VERY different sounds.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19572
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:40 pm

detuned wrote:
Yet more bands that really shouldn't be compared with each other. Both inarguable classic bands, each with VERY different sounds.


That is true but Jesus detuned just agree with me and vote Deep Purple!!!!!
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:43 pm

manny wrote:
detuned wrote:
Yet more bands that really shouldn't be compared with each other. Both inarguable classic bands, each with VERY different sounds.


That is true but Jesus detuned just agree with me and vote Deep Purple!!!!!

NO! lol!

I consider Zep, Purple & Sabbath a 3-way tie for 1st place.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 19451
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Love 'em both. Voted for Deep Purple. "Machine Head" is one of the greatest heavy metal albums to come out of the 70's IMO.

_________________
ULTIMATUM - TOO METAL FOR WIKIPEDIA!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 12801
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Went with Deep Purple - NEVER been a Led Zep fan!!!!! Sure, they helped the hard music scene in the 70's, but never really liked them. They did help move hard and heavy music forward, which is a good thing!

Personally, I feel they are one of the most over-rated bands in history. Give me Sabbath, 70's Purple, 70's Scorps, 70's Priest, 70's KISS or 70's UFO over Zep any day of the week!!!!!! Bonham could play the hell out of the drums, John Paul Jones - good, solid bass player. Jimmy Page - overrated, Robert Plant - Overrated. Better guitarist? Richie Blackmore - easy one. Same with vocalist - Ian over Plant.

Just for fun - in the history of Atlantic Record's best selling albums of all time, I would take AC/DC's Back In Black over Led Zep 4 any day of the week!!! NO MORE STAIRWAY!!!!!!

Remember, that is my opinion and I don't you are an idiot if you disagree with me.

Short version - Deep Purple over Zep.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
avatar

Number of posts : 9696
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Zeppelin for me


I grew up diggin on both bands alot

Purple went way too many places in too short of time with quite a varied, yet talented bunch of musicians. Zeppelin went places as well, but IMHO they still kept that identity and Zeppelin mystique.


_________________
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Page is easily one of the best rhythm guitarists of all-time, especially his acoustic playing. Plus he brought in lots of alternate tunings, eastern scales and other jazz-based elements and mixed that into the rock vocabulary. His solos could be erratic, but when he was on, he was otherworldly.

Blackmore is also an amazing guitarist who was working similar experimental angles (though he leaned more towards classical). Exciting, vibrant player with an incredible tone. But he was also erratic as hell in performance, like Jeff Beck, he has legendary nights and nights where he just coasts on patterns.

Love both guys for different reasons, but I don't think Page is overrated, he painted with one of the broadest palettes in the history of rock guitar.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin   

Back to top Go down
 
Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» 1988.08.16 - Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, USA
» Deep Purple plagiarism?
» Deep Roots 1-6 Complete (Repost Higher Quality )
» Deep Funk comps from rare 45s and LPs
» Check out Boomer's Snare in this video

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Fun and Games-
Jump to: