View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 11154

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Not sure if this is complete interview; there may be some more parts coming. But these three parts are great. Really love this guy's honesty.

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/devin-townsend-interview-part-1
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/devin-townsend-interview-part-2
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/devin-townsend-interview-part-3

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 am

Devin's upcoming project sounds like it'll be pretty badass!

Quote :
Townsend also spoke about the next project he is working on which will take up much of the remainder of the year. He said: "I'm writing a symphony, and I'm gonna record it in Belgium, in Surround Sound, with a visual counterpart. And it's gonna be a hybrid. It's gonna have a lot of instruments that are not typical for orchestral stuff. And it's gonna be a combination of everything. 'Cause typically in the past, I would do STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, or I'd do 'Ki', or 'Ghost', or something. But I wanna put it together. I wanna have something that goes between the extremes of beautiful — like really, really sublime and beautiful — to just total chaos, like hellish apocalypse. And I'd like to have a point to it that isn't a story. I'd like to have it to do with human things, emotions that I currently struggle with, 'cause I don't find myself emotionally very intelligent. So the things that happened in my life that forced me to learn it are also inspiring — loss or sadness or happiness or embarrassment, or any of these things. And so my plan is to make something that is massive in scope, but is not bombast totally."

He continued: "The bottom line is music, for me, is an exhaust port for life, and if I have a chaotic year, then I'm gonna write a chaotic record, and that's what happened with 'Ziltoid', with 'Z2'. So asking the people close to me to lay off the work will allow me, in my mind, to not write something that's chaos, but have something where the chaos is something that I can manage and control and turn into dynamic, as opposed to just an onslaught."

headbanger

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 6561

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:14 pm

New album up for pre order. I bagged me the picture disc with signed certificate.

Hopefully it will be heavy. According to reports it's heavy and huge! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 4969

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:03 am

put me down for interested in this release
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 7269

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:40 am

I'm in.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 13843

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:39 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

New album up for pre order. I bagged me the picture disc with signed certificate.

Hopefully it will be heavy. According to reports it's heavy and huge! Very Happy

I'll pre-order soon. I'm excited to get to see him live in Sept.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:44 am

Can't wait for this one.

I've got that book on pre-order, too. Hope the music that comes with it is cool.

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1589

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:59 am

This reminds me that I should try to get in on the pre-orders for the book...

Any word yet as to the style Devin was going for on the new album? I'm not expecting a huge divergence from Sky Blue or Epicloud, but with DT, you never know...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:06 pm

No shitting out another Epicloud here! I really like this (although I really liked Sky Blue too) This actually sound like he's trying to do something fresh.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:36 am

Boris2008 wrote:
No shitting out another Epicloud here! I really like this (although I really liked Sky Blue too) This actually sound like he's trying to do something fresh.

Very Happy

It's got a bit of that djent thing going on with the main riff. I dig it. Though I have no complaints about any of his albums, it's definitely good to hear some new flavors with DTP.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:05 am

So the new Devin Townsend Project album, Transcendence, is pretty goddamn amazing. I don't know how this guy does it. Even the bonus disc of demos is fantastic. Of course most of Devin's demos sound better than other bands' studio tracks, so it's basically a double album.

Should have the Japanese edition soon. It has three additional bonus tracks.

And speaking of Devin...

Such a shame he never recorded that power/heavy metal album he said he wanted to record long ago. =(

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 5077

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:14 pm

That accept cover is simply awesome.

I am not familiar with devin nor do i own any of his albums. As a matter of fact i have no clue where to start and i don't know if any of his albums meets the classic heavy metal sound that i like.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Gilbert wrote:

I am not familiar with devin nor do i own any of his albums. As a matter of fact i have no clue where to start and i don't know if any of his albums meets the classic heavy metal sound that i like.

Devin's music is hard to describe. It is not, however, anything near classic heavy metal. His stuff is all over the place, but not there. His Strapping Young Lad project is closer to industrial/death metal (except The New Black, which is more like his solo stuff), but a fairly unique sound. The bulk of the rest of his stuff under the variation of Devin Townsend monikers are best described as "progressive," but even that's not accurate. He really has a sound all his own and most of his albums have a pretty unique sound unto themselves.

Best thing to do, if you're curious, is just jump on YouTube and give things a listen.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Devin's music is hard to describe. It is not, however, anything near classic heavy metal. His stuff is all over the place, but not there. His Strapping Young Lad project is closer to industrial/death metal (except The New Black, which is more like his solo stuff), but a fairly unique sound. The bulk of the rest of his stuff under the variation of Devin Townsend monikers are best described as "progressive," but even that's not accurate. He really has a sound all his own and most of his albums have a pretty unique sound unto themselves.

Best thing to do, if you're curious, is just jump on YouTube and give things a listen.

That's what i am doing right now. Not bad. Devin does have lots of talent.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

That's what i am doing right now. Not bad. Devin does have lots of talent.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:34 pm

I agree with Eyesore that the new album is amazing. He seems to have purposefully gone in a more grown up direction (no farting aliens on this one) and the result has real weight.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Gilbert wrote:

Devin does do a mean Judas Priest cover or two

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 4969

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:34 pm

I always really liked his version of Rush's Natural Science.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:56 pm

He does a great Sinatra, too.

Okay, not really. Sinatra sucks even when Devin does it, but it's at least better than the original. Haha. Great vocal performance, though. Dude is a beast in that department and he doesn't even know it.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat

Number of posts : 9134

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 am

Boris2008 wrote:
No shitting out another Epicloud here!

Old post, I know... but you didn't like Epicloud? Aside from Addicted, It's my favorite album by him.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 13843

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:48 pm

mc666 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
No shitting out another Epicloud here!

Old post, I know... but you didn't like Epicloud? Aside from Addicted, It's my favorite album by him.

Epicloud is a great album!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   

Back to top Go down

Devin Townsend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9