HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 NLTM April '11 Update

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 19452
Age : 50

PostSubject: NLTM April '11 Update   Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:38 pm


_________________
ULTIMATUM - TOO METAL FOR WIKIPEDIA!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31135
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Yay! I got my photo credit on those Crimson Glory pictures!! Very Happy

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Ult, on your Pantera - Reinventing The Steel Review, the last paragraph is cut off.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2869
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:28 pm

I found a pretty funny mistake that I copied below:


"Hole in the Sky" is the first Night Ranger album in nearly a decade. However, it's not 1983 any longer and "Hole In the Sky" is not "Midnight Madness Pt 2". "Hole in the Sky"

Next to the picture of the album cover you put the right name of the album, but in this sentence Scott, I think you might have had Black Sabbath on the brain... lol!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 21357
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Checking out the updates now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 19452
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
I found a pretty funny mistake that I copied below:


"Hole in the Sky" is the first Night Ranger album in nearly a decade. However, it's not 1983 any longer and "Hole In the Sky" is not "Midnight Madness Pt 2". "Hole in the Sky"

Next to the picture of the album cover you put the right name of the album, but in this sentence Scott, I think you might have had Black Sabbath on the brain... lol!

chewie wrote:
Ult, on your Pantera - Reinventing The Steel Review, the last paragraph is cut off.

Thanks. Will fix those errors.

_________________
ULTIMATUM - TOO METAL FOR WIKIPEDIA!
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
avatar

Number of posts : 350
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:57 am

In the top line of the Extol-Undeceived review, you have "heavier (if that be possible) will still retaining..." and you meant while still retaining. Also in the 2nd sentence you forgot to capitalize the first word, "Inferno." In the 4th line, "tile song"-->"title song"

In the Halford review, 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence, "lighter far"-->"lighter fare"

In the Pantera-Reinventing the Steel review, 2nd paragraph, you should remove the word "a" at the end of line 1. 3rd paragraph 2nd line, "loosing"-->"losing"

Helstar review, 1st paragraph 4th line, "falling"-->"fall," "legends"-->"legend." 2nd paragraph 1st line "Angles"-->"Angels." End of the 2nd line is cut off, and the 3rd line starts a new sentence.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 19452
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:10 am

thanks Tur-Thalion

_________________
ULTIMATUM - TOO METAL FOR WIKIPEDIA!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:52 am

You really shouldn't put those reviews up while your watching the Flyers in the Shootout round lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19510
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 am

Read your Pantera review and I like the band but this statement was right on IMO:


l Much of this is due to the sterile vocal approach of Philip Anselmo who rants, raves and screams like a drunk, lunatic father loosing his mind
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23999
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 am

manny wrote:
Read your Pantera review and I like the band but this statement was right on IMO:


l Much of this is due to the sterile vocal approach of Philip Anselmo who rants, raves and screams like a drunk, lunatic father loosing his mind

That's my biggest gripe with Pantera. As much as I really do like them, after the first 2 albums, Phil's lyrics and shouting really distracts from the great music. I can't help but wonder how much better those albums would be and howmuch more spintime they'd get from me with someone a little more competent behind the mic. It got a little better on Reinventing the Steel.

And it's not like Phil can't still sing. He shows off a little more vocal varity on the Down albums, which are very different than Pantera, but I like them just as much.

By the way, the end paragragh on the Reinventing...review is cut-off.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:44 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Read your Pantera review and I like the band but this statement was right on IMO:


l Much of this is due to the sterile vocal approach of Philip Anselmo who rants, raves and screams like a drunk, lunatic father loosing his mind

That's my biggest gripe with Pantera. As much as I really do like them, after the first 2 albums, Phil's lyrics and shouting really distracts from the great music. I can't help but wonder how much better those albums would be and howmuch more spintime they'd get from me with someone a little more competent behind the mic. It got a little better on Reinventing the Steel.

And it's not like Phil can't still sing. He shows off a little more vocal varity on the Down albums, which are very different than Pantera, but I like them just as much.

By the way, the end paragragh on the Reinventing...review is cut-off.

Especially when you've heard him sing on the Power Metal album. So you know he CAN sing.
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 21127
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:57 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Read your Pantera review and I like the band but this statement was right on IMO:


l Much of this is due to the sterile vocal approach of Philip Anselmo who rants, raves and screams like a drunk, lunatic father loosing his mind

That's my biggest gripe with Pantera. As much as I really do like them, after the first 2 albums, Phil's lyrics and shouting really distracts from the great music. I can't help but wonder how much better those albums would be and howmuch more spintime they'd get from me with someone a little more competent behind the mic. It got a little better on Reinventing the Steel.

And it's not like Phil can't still sing. He shows off a little more vocal varity on the Down albums, which are very different than Pantera, but I like them just as much.

By the way, the end paragragh on the Reinventing...review is cut-off.


Yep that's where they lost me too. I've never heard any pre-Cowboys material,but Cowboys is phenomenal. Vulgar Display of Power was a slight downturn but I still enjoyed it enough to get Far Beyond Driven. That was pretty bad so I held out hope for Great Southern Trendkill. Ouch that was painful. The vocals were really bad .I got rid of Trendkill and Driven and pretended Reinventing the Steel didn't even exist.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23999
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Quote :
Especially when you've heard him sing on the Power Metal album. So you know he CAN sing.

Sure. Maybe not the high notes like he used to, but the guy can (or could) sing if he chose.

And I'd like to add that I recently got to hear all of the pre-Cowboys from Hell albums in their entirety and I want to say thank God they changed their sound (or ripped it off from Exhorder, depending on your opinion Razz ).

While they were fine for the time, they have not aged well at all. The lyrics (pre-Phil and with him) are so cheesy-over-the-top and full of awful 80's hair band cliches. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But had they continued in that direction, Pantera would have been a little more than a footnote in a whatever-happenend-to-80's-hairband discussions. Which, again depending on your opinion of the band, could be a good thing or bad thing.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 13862
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Quote :
Unfortunately Pantera, much like Metallica, have become the poster child for bands the the "troo underground metal fans" love to hate. Apparently selling over a three hundred copies of an album

with mistakes and all.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.metal-metropolis.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
avatar

Number of posts : 9138
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm

007 wrote:
Vulgar Display of Power was a slight downturn but I still enjoyed it enough to get Far Beyond Driven. That was pretty bad so I held out hope for Great Southern Trendkill. Ouch that was painful. The vocals were really bad .I got rid of Trendkill and Driven and pretended Reinventing the Steel didn't even exist.
Far Beyond Driven & The Great Southern Trendkill had their best songs imo. Strength Beyond Strength, 25 Years, Slaughtered, Use My Third Arm, The Great Southern Trendkill, War Nerve, Drag The Waters, Suicide Note (parts 1 & 2), Floods, & Sandblasted Skin were the best songs they ever recorded imo.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23999
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Quote :
No, I mean, I have several [BulletBoys] CDs WAITING to be reviewed. They are not on the site yet.


Didn't make the cut again this month, huh Ult? Very Happy

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1862
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:16 pm

mc666 wrote:
007 wrote:
Vulgar Display of Power was a slight downturn but I still enjoyed it enough to get Far Beyond Driven. That was pretty bad so I held out hope for Great Southern Trendkill. Ouch that was painful. The vocals were really bad .I got rid of Trendkill and Driven and pretended Reinventing the Steel didn't even exist.
Far Beyond Driven & The Great Southern Trendkill had their best songs imo. Strength Beyond Strength, 25 Years, Slaughtered, Use My Third Arm, The Great Southern Trendkill, War Nerve, Drag The Waters, Suicide Note (parts 1 & 2), Floods, & Sandblasted Skin were the best songs they ever recorded imo.


I understand where Mr. Bond is coming from, but I tend to agree with mc on this one. GST is underrated. I rarely see Pantera fans list this as their favorite, but it usually flip-flops with CFH with me. While Phil's vocals kind of get out there on FBD (Ult's description made me laugh Laughing ) I don't think they are that bad to ruin the music on GST.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 19452
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:21 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
No, I mean, I have several [BulletBoys] CDs WAITING to be reviewed. They are not on the site yet.


Didn't make the cut again this month, huh Ult? Very Happy

I just need to give them more spins. I hate reviewing music I am not familiar with enough to give an honest opinion of. I have several BulletBoys CDs to review too, thanks to Vexer6.

_________________
ULTIMATUM - TOO METAL FOR WIKIPEDIA!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23999
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 am

The first 2 are the best in my opinion. They go downhill rapidly after that.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 683
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Love the updated review on Extol's Undeceived album Ult headbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 19452
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

shamgar75 wrote:
Love the updated review on Extol's Undeceived album Ult headbanger

Thanks.

_________________
ULTIMATUM - TOO METAL FOR WIKIPEDIA!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5086
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 am

Loved the HELSTAR review!

Pure speed!

I need to invest in this band.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7325
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:16 pm

shamgar75 wrote:
Love the updated review on Extol's Undeceived album Ult headbanger

Agreed. Been jamming that one for a few days.


Ult, on your Journey-S/T tracklisting you are missing 7. 'Mystery Mountain' and a correction on 'The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love)' from Captured, Stevie "Keys" Roseman plays keyboards on that particular song.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 19452
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks akeldama

_________________
ULTIMATUM - TOO METAL FOR WIKIPEDIA!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: NLTM April '11 Update   

Back to top Go down
 
NLTM April '11 Update
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Petra update
» Tourniquet Update!!
» technical update
» {20100909 Update} Regulament
» Christian Liljegren update

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Conversation Piece-
Jump to: