HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Prog Rock Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 883
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:


absolutely 100%, those sessions from 'In A Silent Way' and 'Bitches Brew' ignited a massive firestorm of creativity, both the new and established alumni who were involved put out amazing records in the decade to come. Anyone here into prog who hasn't checked out those records and also the output of Tony Williams Lifetime, Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, Weather Report, Herbie's Mwandishi band, et al, definitely needs to do so asap, that whole world and what lead up to it is a revolution in itself.

Of course we also can't forget the names who were doing crazy stuff and didn't blow up in the same way.........
here here. agree completely.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11043
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Lasercd.com is having a great $3 sale on Progrock Records releases. Lots of excellent albums on that list.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Such a great Saga tune! Those early albums had GREAT covers as well!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:18 pm

That Saga is gorgeous stuff. I'm gonna look into that.

Chewie, I've been curious for a long time now; what is the artwork in your avatar from? I dig it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11043
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:41 pm

I've been meaning to dig into the Saga discography for a while now.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:09 pm

corplhicks wrote:
That Saga is gorgeous stuff. I'm gonna look into that.

Chewie, I've been curious for a long time now; what is the artwork in your avatar from? I dig it.

Its the inside sleeve from an easy listening album.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:36 pm

chewie wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
That Saga is gorgeous stuff. I'm gonna look into that.

Chewie, I've been curious for a long time now; what is the artwork in your avatar from? I dig it.
Its the inside sleeve from an easy listening album.

And like that I'm scouring the internet for this record.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:49 am

corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
That Saga is gorgeous stuff. I'm gonna look into that.

Chewie, I've been curious for a long time now; what is the artwork in your avatar from? I dig it.
Its the inside sleeve from an easy listening album.

And like that I'm scouring the internet for this record.
I found it at Dimple Books/Records on Arden for about $1. All the Stereo Action albums have really cool inner sleeve artwork. Here's a couple of others I have:



Sorry about the hijack!
I'll put it back on track with another early Saga tune.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:02 am

lol Not you're fault bud; I'm the one who was curious. But thanks for the info; I'm gonna seek these out.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22292
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:19 pm

new on InsideOut - Knifeworld - The Unraveling:


_________________
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22292
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:11 pm


_________________
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11043
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:43 am

exact33 wrote:

Diggin' on that!  headbanger 

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11043
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:50 am

Have you heard these guys, Alex?





Took this album with me on my two-week vacation and was reminded of how awesome it is. Easily one of the best albums Sensory has released.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22292
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:21 am

Eyesore wrote:
Have you heard these guys, Alex?





Took this album with me on my two-week vacation and was reminded of how awesome it is. Easily one of the best albums Sensory has released.

i have not but i like that. I will have to get it on my next order from ken.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 632
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:30 am



While it's impossible to really tell anything from that clip, with new Threshold, Flying Colors and now Enchant - September's looking like a pretty good month prog-wise.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 145
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:57 pm

I tried hard to "like" bands like Yes and Genesis , but I donīt know ... whatīs "wrong" ... canīt get into Yes ... neither Genesis ... I donīt know, I think I should give them another chance ... someone told me that "Camel" is "typically" prog rock ... then I checked it ... COULD NOT GET INTO IT ... so boring mellow self indulgent stuff that almost made me fall asleep ... Iīm starting to think that Prog Rock is not for me (altough I do like some of what is called Prog Metal ) ...
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 120
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 145
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:52 pm

I was listening to some King Crimson (gotta check out some more) and some ELP (Tarkus) ... "listeneable" stuff , but it doesnīt get my blood "pumping" ... Its OK , but I must confess I prefer my Metal much more than this ...
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 120
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:59 pm

It's not for everybody, if you like it check out more, if you don't like it then stick to what you do like.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6473
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:31 pm

Headbanger Man wrote:
I was listening to some King Crimson (gotta check out some more) and some ELP (Tarkus) ... "listeneable" stuff , but it doesnīt get my blood "pumping" ... Its OK , but I must confess I prefer my Metal much more than this ...

Prog rock isn't metal, if that's what you are looking for you are barking up the wrong tree.
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 120
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Headbanger Man wrote:
I was listening to some King Crimson (gotta check out some more) and some ELP (Tarkus) ... "listeneable" stuff , but it doesnīt get my blood "pumping" ... Its OK , but I must confess I prefer my Metal much more than this ...

Prog rock isn't metal, if that's what you are looking for you are barking up the wrong tree.

Not just the wrong tree, he's in the wrong forest.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 632
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:22 am

Headbanger Man wrote:
I tried hard to "like" bands like Yes and Genesis , but I donīt know ... whatīs "wrong" ... canīt get into Yes ... neither Genesis ... I donīt know, I think I should give them another chance ... someone told me that "Camel" is "typically" prog rock ... then I checked it ... COULD NOT GET INTO IT ... so boring mellow self indulgent stuff that almost made me fall asleep ... Iīm starting to think that Prog Rock is not for me (altough I do like some of what is called Prog Metal ) ...

I'm not sure what you mean by "typically prog rock". If you're referring to a band that is representative of the genre in general then there's no such band as the term "progressive rock" covers a wide range of styles from gentle acoustic stuff to extreme metal.

It is true that Camel are on the mellow side, which sounds like it's not the sort of thing you're into. How do you feel about Rush? They might be more to your tastes, especially their earlier albums.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 145
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:14 am

Rush is cool, altough I m no "expert" about ther material ...




Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 am

Headbanger Man wrote:
I tried hard to "like" bands like Yes and Genesis , but I donīt know ... whatīs "wrong" ... canīt get into Yes ... neither Genesis ... I donīt know, I think I should give them another chance ... someone told me that "Camel" is "typically" prog rock ... then I checked it ... COULD NOT GET INTO IT ... so boring mellow self indulgent stuff that almost made me fall asleep ... Iīm starting to think that Prog Rock is not for me (altough I do like some of what is called Prog Metal ) ...

The real beef with getting into prog is that liking an album by a band is no guarantee that you'll like everything they put out. It's like being a Lou Reed fan in that way.

If your main point of reference coming in is metal and harsher metal at that, you'll do much better seeking out more "accessible" and "heavy" prog. I'd strongly recommend Thrak or The Power to Believe by King Crimson. If that doesn't do it for you, might be fairer to say that what they do just isn't your bag.

Genesis and Yes... Eh, they're acquired tastes. And, in both cases, even among the fanbase, there are debates about "when they stopped sounding like themselves."

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Btw, that Agusa track is AMAZING!  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Prog Rock Thread   

Back to top Go down
 
Prog Rock Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» 7th Overture - Christian progressive rock
» Sneak Preview of "PARALLELS" performed by Supernal Endgame
» Mid-East Prog Rock
» Favorite Progressive Rock "Suites"/Long Tracks
» Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: