HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 The Beatles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6264
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Also, I don't want them all...just certain ones for framing. I'd never actually play them anyway.

I framed my dad's original vinyl copies of Meet the Beatles, Introducing the Beatles and Hendrix's Are You Experienced. They hang behind the bar in the basement.

Nice!!

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
avatar

Number of posts : 9581
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Some of the older Beatles stuff (vinyls) were originaly recorded in Mono and should stay that way (IMHDO)

_________________
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:16 pm

James B. wrote:
Some of the older Beatles stuff (vinyls) were originaly recorded in Mono and should stay that way (IMHDO)

Which is why they released both a Stereo and a Mono box set of their remastered recordings a few years ago.

I think the later stuff like The White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be work best in stereo, but the earlier albums and singles seem more immediate in mono.

You could probably say the exact same thing about The Rolling Stones earlier albums.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate


Number of posts : 367
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm

My missus is 19 years older than me and she saw the Beatles in Hyde Park in the 60's. How is that for cool? She saw the Stones as well in the same park.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate


Number of posts : 367
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Same post keeps sending for some reason. I was trying to reply to James: saying, the Beatles could record in a phone box and I'd still listen to it. Awesome band.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:10 am

Chrome Locust wrote:
My missus is 19 years older than me and she saw the Beatles in Hyde Park in the 60's. How is that for cool? She saw the Stones as well in the same park.

King Crimson played there in 1969, would love to time travel back to that gig.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23503
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:08 am

Anyone have any good Beatles book recommendations?

Not biography tell-alls about what a d*ck John was or how everyone ignored Ringo. I'm looking for stories about behind-the-scenes in the recording studio, that kind of stuff. I'm facinated with their work ethic and recording process and how the songs came together.

Any opinions are welcome.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6264
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 pm


_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:17 am

They're...good. Look, I'm not gonna lie; I have tried with rigid enthusiasm to get into the Beatles, and it's been a tough road. My respect for them is massive, truly. I see them for what they are, in my eyes they are valid and I really have no criticism to offer. And I love the movies. It's just that very few songs have really stayed with me, and most of their remaining catalog feels bland. George Harrison is a remarkable man and his solo album is incredible, happens to be my most wanted LP on vinyl at the moment. But I have so much difficulty finding the magnetism that others have found to songs other than Hey Jude and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Am I a bad person? Absolutely! Vile! Actually, I don't know what that makes me, but for a fan of all things rock n roll, I do feel some guilt and shame now and then. Just being honest.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 am

I had the 45 single of Hey Jude/Revolution when I was like 4 years old, so I've been hearing The Beatles for most of my life. However, I don't think I *truly* appreciated them until I was in my late 30s and had many, many years of hearing their influence on just about everyone that came after. At some point the true magnitude of what they accomplished and what they inspired really struck me and it all just clicked into place. My appreciation continues to grow year by year and no matter how many times I hear their songs it always seems like I discover new elements the more I listen.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23503
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:02 am

S.D. wrote:
I had the 45 single of Hey Jude/Revolution when I was like 4 years old, so I've been hearing The Beatles for most of my life. However, I don't think I *truly* appreciated them until I was in my late 30s and had many, many years of hearing their influence on just about everyone that came after. At some point the true magnitude of what they accomplished and what they inspired really struck me and it all just clicked into place. My appreciation continues to grow year by year and no matter how many times I hear their songs it always seems like I discover new elements the more I listen.

Well put. My thoughts exactly. Except for the hearing 'Hey Jude' when I was 4.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1635
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 am

Quote :
They're...good. Look, I'm not gonna lie; I have tried with rigid enthusiasm to get into the Beatles, and it's been a tough road. My respect for them is massive, truly. I see them for what they are, in my eyes they are valid and I really have no criticism to offer.


This is exactly how I am with The Rolling Stones. Something about them makes me a little sick to my stomach. I wonder if I was molested to aliens as a youth and the Stones were playing in the background......
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
They're...good. Look, I'm not gonna lie; I have tried with rigid enthusiasm to get into the Beatles, and it's been a tough road. My respect for them is massive, truly. I see them for what they are, in my eyes they are valid and I really have no criticism to offer.


This is exactly how I am with The Rolling Stones. Something about them makes me a little sick to my stomach. I wonder if I was molested to aliens as a youth and the Stones were playing in the background......

Stones took me a while to get into. I always thought they were too damn sloppy. It wasn't until about five years ago that I started enjoying sloppy music (thank you, Neil Young). Then the Stones rocked my world.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 pm

I've found over the years that people have the tendency to mistake "feel" for "sloppy".
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6312
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
I've found over the years that people have the tendency to mistake "feel" for "sloppy".


Let's compromise with loose. Wink

I absolutely love The Stones up to about 1973, out of all of the 'Hyde Park' shows in the 60's, theirs is where my time machine's headed.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Human beings should play "loose", especially rhythm sections. When players start turning into human metronomes I lose interest quickly. One of the primary reasons I dislike so many modern drummers, no feel, no swing.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6312
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
Human beings should play "loose", especially rhythm sections. When players start turning into human metronomes I lose interest quickly. One of the primary reasons I dislike so many modern drummers, no feel, no swing.

Agreed, that's why I think that Gar's drumming for Megadeth was so great and unlike anyone else in that scene.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Human beings should play "loose", especially rhythm sections. When players start turning into human metronomes I lose interest quickly. One of the primary reasons I dislike so many modern drummers, no feel, no swing.

Agreed, that's why I think that Gar's drumming for Megadeth was so great and unlike anyone else in that scene.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:58 am

Loose and feel make sense, I was just speaking loosely. Aha! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 20384
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3829
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:49 am

Required Fields wrote:

LMAO Laughing very hard lol!

Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Wurthless
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4876
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:34 pm

hahah that is pretty funny.

Anyone that doesn't like the Beatles immediately gets added to my "do not trust" list, lol. I have dug into their stuff a ton more than I had previously, and I'd like to think I have a much better appreciation for their importance and just how f*cking great they really were. I used to be a fan of pretty much just Help and Revolver, and within the past few months I have had the pleasure of digging into Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper's and the like and have just had my mind blown at what I was missing out on. They have so many songs that I feel like are somehow etched in the collective unconscious of Western civilization, like when I heard "I'm Looking Through You" it felt like I had heard it a million times before and it hit me so hard. I actually learned it on guitar because I felt so moved by it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 24799
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:13 pm

I guess you can put me on the list then (if I wasn't there already LOL).

I just do not like the Beatles.  I appreciate their impact on music but I just don't like their sound.  I much prefer McCartney and Wings to anything the "Bea-uls" ever did.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4876
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:31 am

nah, Toho, we've got enough in common for me to trust you, haha. You like Sad Wings of Destiny and (if I'm remembering correctly) Steely Dan, and I'm sure there's other overlap in our tastes too.

It's weird from my perspective to imagine someone not liking the general sound of the Beatles, but I acknowledge for sure that that's a valid opinion. No artist is actually for everyone, even though the music industry tries to condition people to believe otherwise.

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1338
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 am

Love them. It's a family listening experience. When my wife and i got back into vinyl we picked up some Beatles records. We play them at the dinner table and it is something the whole family enjoys. My 15 year old daughter really loves the "Love" album and since picking that up on vinyl we seem to play that one and Rubber Soul the most. I plan on picking up "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" when it comes on on vinyl in November.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Beatles   

Back to top Go down
 
The Beatles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Beatles in DTS via bootleg discs
» Video of Ted doing a Beatles tune
» The Beatles

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: