HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31135
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:22 am

New song sounds a'ight, I guess.

They were givin' away tickets to the VH show at Madison Square Garden on our local rock radio station (WDHA-FM) this morning... I figured, what the hell, and called in... but I wasn't caller #5. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
avatar

Number of posts : 11805
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 am

The new song is a little on the bland side... Eddie and Alex sound great. Unfortunately, DLR's vocals are kinda weak and the chorus is awkward.


Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23999
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 am

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31135
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I just listened to it again and yeah, it's a little... underwhelming. I would've expected their big comeback single to be bigger and badder sounding.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
avatar

Number of posts : 11805
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I don't know what the rest of this album is gonna sound like, but to be honest... I like those two newer songs they did back on that "Best of" album from the late 90's better. "Me Wise Magic" had more of that VH sound to it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19507
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 am

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I don't know what the rest of this album is gonna sound like, but to be honest... I like those two newer songs they did back on that "Best of" album from the late 90's better. "Me Wise Magic" had more of that VH sound to it.


I 100% agree with you, as far as those two songs go, but keep in mind at that time both Van Halen and David Lee Roth were still actively recording and touring, unlike this album where neither of those guys had stepped foot inside of a studio in eons.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
avatar

Number of posts : 450
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 am

New song blows
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6369
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 am

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I don't know what the rest of this album is gonna sound like, but to be honest... I like those two newer songs they did back on that "Best of" album from the late 90's better. "Me Wise Magic" had more of that VH sound to it.


I 100% agree with you, as far as those two songs go, but keep in mind at that time both Van Halen and David Lee Roth were still actively recording and touring, unlike this album where neither of those guys had stepped foot inside of a studio in eons.

DLR maybe...but EVH, by all accounts, is either sleeping, taking a dump, or writing/demo'ing in his studio...haha!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
avatar

Number of posts : 11805
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 am

This song is a reminder of how important Mike Anthony's vocals were to the VH sound. He could've made this song a lot better.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23999
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I just listened to it again and yeah, it's a little... underwhelming. I would've expected their big comeback single to be bigger and badder sounding.

I think that's it. It needed to be more bombastic for the first comeback single. Something with Eddie really lighting up the fretboard, showing these young punks hows it's done.

And maybe I'm being too hyper-critical, but for a band that's not known for full-sleeves of ink, singing a song about tattoos is a little odd to me.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23999
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I don't know what the rest of this album is gonna sound like, but to be honest... I like those two newer songs they did back on that "Best of" album from the late 90's better. "Me Wise Magic" had more of that VH sound to it.


I 100% agree with you, as far as those two songs go, but keep in mind at that time both Van Halen and David Lee Roth were still actively recording and touring, unlike this album where neither of those guys had stepped foot inside of a studio in eons.

DLR maybe...but EVH, by all accounts, is either sleeping, taking a dump, or writing/demo'ing in his studio...haha!

He was writing a soundtrack to a porno film the last time I heard any reports.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
avatar

Number of posts : 11805
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I just listened to it again and yeah, it's a little... underwhelming. I would've expected their big comeback single to be bigger and badder sounding.

I think that's it. It needed to be more bombastic for the first comeback single. Something with Eddie really lighting up the fretboard, showing these young punks hows it's done.

And maybe I'm being too hyper-critical, but for a band that's not known for full-sleeves of ink, singing a song about tattoos is a little odd to me.

It's Dave's lyrics. Maybe he has a fetish for ink on chicks...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6369
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 am

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I just listened to it again and yeah, it's a little... underwhelming. I would've expected their big comeback single to be bigger and badder sounding.

I think that's it. It needed to be more bombastic for the first comeback single. Something with Eddie really lighting up the fretboard, showing these young punks hows it's done.

And maybe I'm being too hyper-critical, but for a band that's not known for full-sleeves of ink, singing a song about tattoos is a little odd to me.

It's Dave's lyrics. Maybe he has a fetish for ink on chicks...

It's a song about something else...the tattoo is a reference for how fast something happens..."in the time it took to get that new tattoo"....

Anyway, after only one listen I'll say it's "not bad"...I'll buy the album for sure. The 3 new songs on Best Of Both Worlds had more balls on first listen, IMO. But it certainly feels like Van Halen, IMO. Anthony's backing vocals would have been nice to hear, but their absence doesn't harm the song, IMO.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19507
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 am

Troublezone wrote:
This song is a reminder of how important Mike Anthony's vocals were to the VH sound. He could've made this song a lot better.


Kind of weird you mention this, I love the song but without Michael Anthony's vocals it sounds more like a David Lee Roth solo cut then a full fledged Van Halen song.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6369
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:03 am

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
This song is a reminder of how important Mike Anthony's vocals were to the VH sound. He could've made this song a lot better.


Kind of weird you mention this, I love the song but without Michael Anthony's vocals it sounds more like a David Lee Roth solo cut then a full fledged Van Halen song.

I don't think it would have made the actual song better....but they would be nice to hear.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19507
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
This song is a reminder of how important Mike Anthony's vocals were to the VH sound. He could've made this song a lot better.


Kind of weird you mention this, I love the song but without Michael Anthony's vocals it sounds more like a David Lee Roth solo cut then a full fledged Van Halen song.

I don't think it would have made the actual song better....but they would be nice to hear.


Your probably right, just when it come to this line up Anthony's vocals were, at least to my ears such big part of their sound, I still expecting to hear him come in right behind DLR.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6369
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:09 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
This song is a reminder of how important Mike Anthony's vocals were to the VH sound. He could've made this song a lot better.


Kind of weird you mention this, I love the song but without Michael Anthony's vocals it sounds more like a David Lee Roth solo cut then a full fledged Van Halen song.

I don't think it would have made the actual song better....but they would be nice to hear.


Your probably right, just when it come to this line up Anthony's vocals were, at least to my ears such big part of their sound, I still expecting to hear him come in right behind DLR.

I do agree...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5210
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:54 am

This new song is not very good. The music is OK I guess but the vocal melody/lyrics are just not catchy enough.

I liked "Without You" more than this. And people hated that album (for good reason).
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3282
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 am

I like it. Sounds like VH to me. Hoping the album has some faster, heavier stuff though and if it does, I would've picked one of those songs as the first single.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23999
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:21 am

It's not a bad song, but it's not a good lead-off single, especially for a comeback. Unless of course they think it's one of the best songs off the new album. In which case, we're screwed. Razz

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6369
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 am

It is a little laid back for a lead off single, IMO...but it's not bad.

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:58 am

Sleep

Wake me up when they release a song that actually sounds complete. This one sounds like they had to hold it together with duct tape it's such a clumsy arrangement. Really bad chorus weakening an already mediocre groove...this doesn't work.



Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5210
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:02 pm

S.D. wrote:
Sleep

Wake me up when they release a song that actually sounds complete. This one sounds like they had to hold it together with duct tape it's such a clumsy arrangement. Really bad chorus weakening an already mediocre groove...this doesn't work.

It gives credence to what Hagar has been saying all along.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6369
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Sleep

Wake me up when they release a song that actually sounds complete. This one sounds like they had to hold it together with duct tape it's such a clumsy arrangement. Really bad chorus weakening an already mediocre groove...this doesn't work.

It gives credence to what Hagar has been saying all along.

It's definitely not as hooky as the Hagar years...and the chorus could certainly be stronger. The solo was good (obviously) and I found myself singing bits of it after it was over.

Like I said..."not bad"...but it didn't wow me, either.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 13867
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the new tune too. I need to give it a few more spins. Lemme get some coffee and try it again.

I don't know what the rest of this album is gonna sound like, but to be honest... I like those two newer songs they did back on that "Best of" album from the late 90's better. "Me Wise Magic" had more of that VH sound to it.

I have to agree. The new song is ok at best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   

Back to top Go down
 
Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 28Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Chickenfoot III vs VH-A Different Kind Of Truth
» A Funky Kind Of Thing
» Van Halen & Boomer
» Quotes on humor and truth
» Getting Caught in an alleged Lie!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: