HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Megaupload shut down

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6379
Age : 46

PostSubject: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31235
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Just imagine all the "blogspot" owners who must be scrambling to re-up dead MegaUpload links right now.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24048
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

So I take it the SOPA / PIPA bill passed, despite Wikipedia and others going black for the day?

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 913
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 pm

I read that most the backers of the bill had pulled out surprised
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24048
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Maybe not...the link within the link has more details...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html

Looks like the SOPA/ PIPA thing is still only being considered, but this Megaupload prosecution has been in the works for some time. They certainly picked a jolly good time to actually go through with it.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:29 pm

It sounds like most of the politicians that were backing the SOPA/PIPA bills have caved under the enormous onslaught of social media protests. Piracy needs to be fought, but censoring is never an option and shouldn't even be considered in a nation supposedly built on freedom.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 823
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:48 pm

If this has just happened, then the case has been in the works for a while. Not even with SOPA or PIPA passed will websites just "suddenly" close down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22507
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
It sounds like most of the politicians that were backing the SOPA/PIPA bills have caved under the enormous onslaught of social media protests. Piracy needs to be fought, but censoring is never an option and shouldn't even be considered in a nation supposedly built on freedom.

I agree but i do think file sharing sites run rampant with illegal material. They claim they dont have the resources to monitor content but to me thats not an excuse. I think if the sites maintained proper controls, they would catch thieves and prevent things like this from happening.

_________________
The_King_Game_of_Thrones
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:35 pm

exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
It sounds like most of the politicians that were backing the SOPA/PIPA bills have caved under the enormous onslaught of social media protests. Piracy needs to be fought, but censoring is never an option and shouldn't even be considered in a nation supposedly built on freedom.

I agree but i do think file sharing sites run rampant with illegal material. They claim they dont have the resources to monitor content but to me thats not an excuse. I think if the sites maintained proper controls, they would catch thieves and prevent things like this from happening.

How many employees would that require? Most of these "companies" are just a server farm somewhere. I wouldn't even venture a guess as to how many people it would take to monitor millions of files uploaded worldwide looking for copyright infringement.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22507
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
It sounds like most of the politicians that were backing the SOPA/PIPA bills have caved under the enormous onslaught of social media protests. Piracy needs to be fought, but censoring is never an option and shouldn't even be considered in a nation supposedly built on freedom.

I agree but i do think file sharing sites run rampant with illegal material. They claim they dont have the resources to monitor content but to me thats not an excuse. I think if the sites maintained proper controls, they would catch thieves and prevent things like this from happening.

How many employees would that require? Most of these "companies" are just a server farm somewhere. I wouldn't even venture a guess as to how many people it would take to monitor millions of files uploaded worldwide looking for copyright infringement.


I dont think that absolves them from due diligence. Simply saying 'I cannot do it' doesnt remove the liability for harboring illegal material on one's network. My company has a ton of users but they still go to great lengths to ensure people dont place pirated software/material on their various networks and environments. Whole departments of people exist to prevent the company from liability of unlicensed material.

_________________
The_King_Game_of_Thrones
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31235
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:08 pm

S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22507
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

then it really should come as no surprise they were taken down for harboring illegal material. If you are in business and dont take any precautions other than to say 'we are too big to fail' then they open themselves up for the consequences.

_________________
The_King_Game_of_Thrones
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1223
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31235
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:42 pm

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

then it really should come as no surprise they were taken down for harboring illegal material. If you are in business and dont take any precautions other than to say 'we are too big to fail' then they open themselves up for the consequences.

Of course, there's also the possibility that they simply didn't give a f*ck.
Very Happy

These sites (MegaUpLoad, RapidShare, Pirate Bay, etc.) usually take a "We didn't do it, our users did it, nobody saw it, you can't prove anything" tack when they get busted. Very Happy

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
avatar

Number of posts : 6410
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 pm

GODDAMMITTT.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11189
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 pm

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

then it really should come as no surprise they were taken down for harboring illegal material. If you are in business and dont take any precautions other than to say 'we are too big to fail' then they open themselves up for the consequences.
If you stole thousands of dollars from someone, deposited in your bank, should your bank be shut down for receiving stolen property?

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24048
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 am

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

then it really should come as no surprise they were taken down for harboring illegal material. If you are in business and dont take any precautions other than to say 'we are too big to fail' then they open themselves up for the consequences.
If you stole thousands of dollars from someone, deposited in your bank, should your bank be shut down for receiving stolen property?

Not if just one person was doing it. But let's say one bank is holding accounts to a coupla million "questionable" customers that the govt. has been monitoring. At some point, the owner of that bank is gonna have to answer some questions. Claiming ignorace will only get oyou so far, especially if your profiting off of the illegal content.

Swiss banks were brought to task after the war because they were holding German accounts. The "Hey, we didn't know it was Hitler's slush fund, we're just a bank" didn't fly.

It's all about the numbers. If Megaupload were hosting one or 2 illegal sites, noone would care. But were talking thousands, if not millions.

I think King has a point. Companies have to take some sort of responsibilites toward this stuff. True, it's too big and complicated to police it now. Pandora's box has been opened. But just shrugging their shoulders and saying "Well, I didn't know that was happening, I was too busy counting stacks of money" ain't gonna cut it.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19533
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:45 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

then it really should come as no surprise they were taken down for harboring illegal material. If you are in business and dont take any precautions other than to say 'we are too big to fail' then they open themselves up for the consequences.
If you stole thousands of dollars from someone, deposited in your bank, should your bank be shut down for receiving stolen property?

Not if just one person was doing it. But let's say one bank is holding accounts to a coupla million "questionable" customers that the govt. has been monitoring. At some point, the owner of that bank is gonna have to answer some questions. Claiming ignorace will only get oyou so far, especially if your profiting off of the illegal content.

Swiss banks were brought to task after the war because they were holding German accounts. The "Hey, we didn't know it was Hitler's slush fund, we're just a bank" didn't fly.

It's all about the numbers. If Megaupload were hosting one or 2 illegal sites, noone would care. But were talking thousands, if not millions.

I think King has a point. Companies have to take some sort of responsibilites toward this stuff. True, it's too big and complicated to police it now. Pandora's box has been opened. But just shrugging their shoulders and saying "Well, I didn't know that was happening, I was too busy counting stacks of money" ain't gonna cut it.


Excellent postings and I agree 100%
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22507
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

then it really should come as no surprise they were taken down for harboring illegal material. If you are in business and dont take any precautions other than to say 'we are too big to fail' then they open themselves up for the consequences.
If you stole thousands of dollars from someone, deposited in your bank, should your bank be shut down for receiving stolen property?

not shut down but yes, banks cannot just turn the blind eye. Banks do have a duty to question source of funds under the Bank Secrecy Act of 1970, SAR, and other statutes. Sums in excess of $10,000 in a single transaction are subject to report to the Fed for verification to ensure the bank is not harboring stolen funds or is being targeted for money laundering.

_________________
The_King_Game_of_Thrones
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
avatar

Number of posts : 9682
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:21 pm

I wonder if these companies could pay a license fee kinda/sorta like a club or bar pays to BMI/ASAP to have cover bands play at their establishment ?

The logic of it's toooooooooooooo big to monitor is like saying, "we can't police our border with the resources we have.....so let's just let everyone in."

_________________
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 15217
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 pm

For once, I love hackers!
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate


Number of posts : 328
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:41 am

You cannot stop the internet.

Megalupload has been targeted for a while, it's just coming on the heels of the SOPA outrage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Andy618
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22507
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 am

Andy wrote:
You cannot stop the internet.

Megalupload has been targeted for a while, it's just coming on the heels of the SOPA outrage.

I agree you cannot stop the internet but that doesnt mean its a license to steal.

_________________
The_King_Game_of_Thrones
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Lari
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3417
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:30 am

I think it's just sick this guy was making millions out of it all, while the people who actually help make the records are struggling. I forget his name, the fat guy in New Zealand?
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1223
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 pm

This guys says everyone who used mega, the government has their IP addresses, every single person even if they used proxy's to hide their IP's, and will charge $150,000 for EACH song, each copyright infringement, and if they don't pay, they will be jailed.


MegaUpload Dangerous Secrets affect YOU, Mike Mozart JeepersMedia ACTA / PIPA / SOPA



See More Evidence of how CNET / CBS caused the Phenomenon of Piracy with the Help of So-Branded Partners such as AOL and the MSN Network
http://onecandleinthedark.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   

Back to top Go down
 
Megaupload shut down
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Classic Album: The Brave - Battle Cries
» Undead 77's Punk Playlist (700Mb!)
» "Mutant Wave" Playlist
» Billy Cobham Web Site Shut Down
» DJ Shadow and Quannum live on Breezeblock

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: