HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Manowar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2042
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Fri Sep 07 2012, 17:51

exact33 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
I enjoy all of Manowar's output. I can see why some people don't get into them, but I just think they are fun. Like Thor. Just fun.

And, in my opinion, with Manowar, if you like one, there's no reason to not like all. They are all pretty similar. Equal parts metal anthems and crappy ballads. Manowar are not good with ballads, so I don't know why they insist on doing them.

But yeah, whatever albums you have heard and like...they aren't too dissimilar to the rest of the catalog. So here's another vote for Louder and Triumph, and I'll add "everything else".

totally disagree. Their latter day output is a far cry from the albums up to and including Kings of Metal. They are so over-symphonic-ized its not even funny.

I made a Manowar mix CD sometime around when Warriors of the World came out, and it had songs from most of the releases from Battle Hymns through Warriors. Aside from the uneven sound (Fighting the World, for example, being in extreme need of remastering), to me it sounds like it could just be one album.

Even their newest effort, which is being lambasted on the internet...I really see no reason why someone who liked their work in 1985 would dislike their work in 2012. That's just me though.

The only criticism I have of Lord of Steel is, why the hell did it take 30 years for them to come up with the song title "Manowarriors".
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 20272
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Fri Sep 07 2012, 18:20

I think Manowar had pretty solid releases up to Warriors Of The World. That album had some pretty good tunes on it but also some very weak ones-an uneven affair. I haven't even bothered with Gods Of War just on the virtue of the bad reviews I've read of it mostly on here.


I haven't heard anything of the new one. If sounds like their earlier stuff then I'll dig it.


Last edited by 007 on Fri Sep 07 2012, 18:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2042
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Fri Sep 07 2012, 18:26

007 wrote:
I think Manowar had pretty solid releases up to Warriors Of The World. That album had some pretty good tunes on it but also some very weak ones-an uneven affair. I haven't even bothered with Gods Of War just on the virute of the bad reviews I've read of it mostly on here.


I haven't heard anything of the new one. If sounds like their earlier stuff then I'll dig it.

I agree that WotW was uneven as hell. The songs I loved, I really loved. Then others I hated. But that's how it is with most Manowar releases, I feel. The songs are about 50% to 80% good. And those good songs, I love and blast loudly. And make it worth it for me to have the albums. But skip buttons are a must for me with Manowar. There are just many way drawn out "ballads" and talking and bad instrumental and so on.

But I've just accepted that as part of a Manowar release.

I like the new one. But most people appear to hate it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30924
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Fri Sep 07 2012, 18:30

Warriors of the World was about 50% good stuff and 50% filler.

Gods of War should've been called Gods of Snore.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 20272
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Fri Sep 07 2012, 18:40

Fat Freddy wrote:


Gods of War should've been called Gods of Snore.





Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22387
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Sat Sep 08 2012, 00:37

ZombieHavoc wrote:
exact33 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
I enjoy all of Manowar's output. I can see why some people don't get into them, but I just think they are fun. Like Thor. Just fun.

And, in my opinion, with Manowar, if you like one, there's no reason to not like all. They are all pretty similar. Equal parts metal anthems and crappy ballads. Manowar are not good with ballads, so I don't know why they insist on doing them.

But yeah, whatever albums you have heard and like...they aren't too dissimilar to the rest of the catalog. So here's another vote for Louder and Triumph, and I'll add "everything else".

totally disagree. Their latter day output is a far cry from the albums up to and including Kings of Metal. They are so over-symphonic-ized its not even funny.

I made a Manowar mix CD sometime around when Warriors of the World came out, and it had songs from most of the releases from Battle Hymns through Warriors. Aside from the uneven sound (Fighting the World, for example, being in extreme need of remastering), to me it sounds like it could just be one album.

Even their newest effort, which is being lambasted on the internet...I really see no reason why someone who liked their work in 1985 would dislike their work in 2012. That's just me though.

The only criticism I have of Lord of Steel is, why the hell did it take 30 years for them to come up with the song title "Manowarriors".

I am not hearing it. Its mostly over-orchestrated music that hardly resembles metal anymore to my ears.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2042
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Sat Sep 08 2012, 00:40

exact33 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
exact33 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
I enjoy all of Manowar's output. I can see why some people don't get into them, but I just think they are fun. Like Thor. Just fun.

And, in my opinion, with Manowar, if you like one, there's no reason to not like all. They are all pretty similar. Equal parts metal anthems and crappy ballads. Manowar are not good with ballads, so I don't know why they insist on doing them.

But yeah, whatever albums you have heard and like...they aren't too dissimilar to the rest of the catalog. So here's another vote for Louder and Triumph, and I'll add "everything else".

totally disagree. Their latter day output is a far cry from the albums up to and including Kings of Metal. They are so over-symphonic-ized its not even funny.

I made a Manowar mix CD sometime around when Warriors of the World came out, and it had songs from most of the releases from Battle Hymns through Warriors. Aside from the uneven sound (Fighting the World, for example, being in extreme need of remastering), to me it sounds like it could just be one album.

Even their newest effort, which is being lambasted on the internet...I really see no reason why someone who liked their work in 1985 would dislike their work in 2012. That's just me though.

The only criticism I have of Lord of Steel is, why the hell did it take 30 years for them to come up with the song title "Manowarriors".

I am not hearing it. Its mostly over-orchestrated music that hardly resembles metal anymore to my ears.

It's cool--at least you have a good 5 or 6 or so albums worth of Manowar material that you do like...assuming you like all of them up to KoM.

If some dude who never heard Manowar asked me where to start, I would still definitely tell him to start with the 80s stuff.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 110
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Wed Oct 24 2012, 03:41

So, Manowar released the "Hammer Edition" of The Lord of Steel and now they have released the "finished" version of that same album.

People complained about the fuzzy bass on the Hammer Edition but I didn't mind it much. The only fault in that album was that there were only two good songs, The Lord of Steel and El Gringo. The rest did absolutely nothing to me. Also it was disappointing that Donnie Hamzik, who I always took as the best drummer of Manowar, did nothing spectacular in that album. His drumming sounded like Scott Columbus.

This FINAL version of the album hints that the Hammer Edition was basically a demo, but now as I listened to the final versions of the songs on Youtube, I have to say that the Hammer Edition sounds WAY better. The final version is really REALLY muddy compared to the Hammer Edition. The Final version sounds much more like a demo to me.


At least the new version has one new track, The Kingdom of Steel, which I like very much. It possibly drags a bit but in my opinion it could be in some of their 80's albums. It's their best ballad since Master of the Wind.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Wed Oct 24 2012, 05:40

Yea it was really stupid of them to do that. I picked up the Hammer Edition because I thought that was the official release. Kind of like they did with the last Alice Cooper album. I think the whole thing about the Hammer Edition being just a demo was a bunch of bull. They released that people didn't like it so they went back and remixed it and added a new track to try and make everyone happy.

The album is a huge disapointment. Yea Donnie is back with the band but what the hell for? To try and get like a semi reunion thing going on? maybe if they left Scott in the band he would probably still be alive and the album would have sounded like they actually had a drummer playing instead of someone who just phoned it in. Also he doesn't even fit in with the band. He doesn't have black hair or a mustache and I doubt he could pull off the loin cloth look anymore.

I don't know. I actually enjoy every Manowar release up until this one. I thought Gods Of War was pretty good and I almost would have preferred another album like that to continue the theme they had going. Whatever though, I will pick up this new album because I love Manowar but I'm just annoyed that we waited how long for such a bad album?

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1546
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Wed Oct 24 2012, 06:02

I bet they decided to re-release it after the "Hammer Edition" got such a negative response. Unfortunately for them, the problem was not only the production, but also the songwriting...

I laughed my aerse off at the triggered drums and bizarre bass, but what really ruined it for me was the fact there is hardly a guitar riff to be found on the entire album... Havent heard the "final" version, but unless gives it to me, it is not on my agenda to buy it anytime soon...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 110
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Wed Oct 24 2012, 06:05

Yeah, I agree that the Hammer Edition was originally supposed to be the final version. Or at least I recall up until its release no-one mentioned anything about the future retail version being a remix.


What comes to Donnie, he's obviously been hitting the gym quite a lot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/battlehymns2011/7183269967/
Unless that picture has been photoshopped really hard, he could wear a bikini and pull it of flawlessly.
It's just a sad thing that the drumming on the album doesn't sound like Donnie at all.
It was so cool to see that Manowar show where all three Manowar drummers were playing on stage at the same time. Donnie, Rhino and Scott. Looking at that it was clear who the best drummer really was. Scott was a motionless robot, Rhino was good but Donnie was the most enthusiastic of them all and put up a great show.

I haven't been interested in Manowar after Louder than Hell. I got excited when I heard El Gringo, but was quickly disappointed when I heard the rest of the album.
I really like the extra track on the retail version though. I just might buy the whole album because of that. I'd like to hear that with the Hammer Edition mix though...

Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Wed Oct 24 2012, 06:18

stormspell wrote:
I bet they decided to re-release it after the "Hammer Edition" got such a negative response. Unfortunately for them, the problem was not only the production, but also the songwriting...

I laughed my aerse off at the triggered drums and bizarre bass, but what really ruined it for me was the fact there is hardly a guitar riff to be found on the entire album... Havent heard the "final" version, but unless gives it to me, it is not on my agenda to buy it anytime soon...

exactly it sounds all programmed from the bass, drums just everything.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5210
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Wed Oct 24 2012, 08:11

Donnie is a great metal drummer. Glad he is back in the band.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1635
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:05

I don't know. I really like it, the "Hammer" version, that is. It's got a raw sound to it and the "retail" version has a definite compressed sound. As for the triggered drums, really? Columbus was the king of triggered drums. It's what the band likes for some reason. It's Manowar. They're not going to make the next great metal record. EVER. But they always deliver cheese on a grand scale and when I'm in the mood to veg out to cheesy smurf poo, Manowar fits the bill. Those that don't like this album, will NEVER like a Manowar album. Maybe some people just set their sights too high.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2206
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Wed Oct 24 2012, 20:14

I plan on getting their latest album!
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2042
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Thu Oct 25 2012, 01:24

What did Hammer do with Alice Cooper's last album? I missed that somehow.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Thu Oct 25 2012, 05:00

ZombieHavoc wrote:
What did Hammer do with Alice Cooper's last album? I missed that somehow.

It wasn't Hammer it was another magazine. The album just came with a magazine.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Thu Oct 25 2012, 05:06

SpectreFate wrote:
Those that don't like this album, will NEVER like a Manowar album. Maybe some people just set their sights too high.

Thats not true at all. I love all the Manowar albums except for this new one. It has a few good songs but theres nothing that lives up to their previous albums. Everyone hated Gods Of War but I thought it was cool and that was different than the typical Manowar album. This new one just doesn't have anthems and thats what Manowar is good at doing, making metal anthems. Maybe it will eventually grow on me but with Manowar I usually will click with a song right away. The only one that did anything for me right away was El Gringo and its not even that great of a song.


_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5210
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Thu Oct 25 2012, 05:52

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Battle Hymns" is one of the best metal albums ever recorded. Great songs, great vocals, great guitars, great drums, original style.

Even though people talk about MANOWAR a lot, I still don't feel this album gets all the recognition it deserves.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
avatar

Number of posts : 15743
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Thu Oct 25 2012, 06:22

Temple of Blood wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Battle Hymns" is one of the best metal albums ever recorded. Great songs, great vocals, great guitars, great drums, original style.

Even though people talk about MANOWAR a lot, I still don't feel this album gets all the recognition it deserves.

Well it does from me. Fantastic metal album for sure! headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Approval Guy
Metal novice
Metal novice
avatar

Number of posts : 74
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Thu Oct 25 2012, 14:05

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Those that don't like this album, will NEVER like a Manowar album. Maybe some people just set their sights too high.

Thats not true at all. I love all the Manowar albums except for this new one. It has a few good songs but theres nothing that lives up to their previous albums. Everyone hated Gods Of War but I thought it was cool and that was different than the typical Manowar album. This new one just doesn't have anthems and thats what Manowar is good at doing, making metal anthems. Maybe it will eventually grow on me but with Manowar I usually will click with a song right away. The only one that did anything for me right away was El Gringo and its not even that great of a song.


Totally agree. What really stands out to me in this album is the piss poor songwriting. The band sound like they're another band trying to imitate Manowar and doing a poor job at it. The whole thing just reeks of a phoned in album made to keep the fans quiet and pay the bills. At least with the so-so Gods of War you got the feel that the band were genuinely invested in the project. This one starts off uninspired and just keeps going downhill.

I think this reflects how the hardcore Manowar fans will just eat up anything. There is a kind of hardcore fan that sees the band in an almost religious light. On the band's main fourm they actually refer to the band as "The Kings" or "The Gods" at all times. These are they same kind of fan that proclaimed that Lord of Steel was their best album yet upon first hearing that awful "demo" (Yeah right, Joey) mix. When these are the nutcases you're catering for, why even try?
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1635
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Thu Oct 25 2012, 17:56

Approval Guy wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Those that don't like this album, will NEVER like a Manowar album. Maybe some people just set their sights too high.

Thats not true at all. I love all the Manowar albums except for this new one. It has a few good songs but theres nothing that lives up to their previous albums. Everyone hated Gods Of War but I thought it was cool and that was different than the typical Manowar album. This new one just doesn't have anthems and thats what Manowar is good at doing, making metal anthems. Maybe it will eventually grow on me but with Manowar I usually will click with a song right away. The only one that did anything for me right away was El Gringo and its not even that great of a song.


Totally agree. What really stands out to me in this album is the piss poor songwriting. The band sound like they're another band trying to imitate Manowar and doing a poor job at it. The whole thing just reeks of a phoned in album made to keep the fans quiet and pay the bills. At least with the so-so Gods of War you got the feel that the band were genuinely invested in the project. This one starts off uninspired and just keeps going downhill.

I think this reflects how the hardcore Manowar fans will just eat up anything. There is a kind of hardcore fan that sees the band in an almost religious light. On the band's main fourm they actually refer to the band as "The Kings" or "The Gods" at all times. These are they same kind of fan that proclaimed that Lord of Steel was their best album yet upon first hearing that awful "demo" (Yeah right, Joey) mix. When these are the nutcases you're catering for, why even try?



To clarify what I was saying...I was saying that this album isn't going to win over anyone who is on the fence about Manowar. I worded my response poorly.

I just don't know what people were expecting with this album. It's on par with everything they have made since the early 80's. Just good enough to get by so they can have an excuse to tour again.
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 20272
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Thu Oct 25 2012, 18:47

I'd like to give this one a listen to. I missed the boat on Gods Of War but with all the abysmal reviews I've read,I'm not sure I want to hear it. I'd have to find that one in the used bins somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Fri Oct 26 2012, 00:28

SpectreFate wrote:
Approval Guy wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Those that don't like this album, will NEVER like a Manowar album. Maybe some people just set their sights too high.

Thats not true at all. I love all the Manowar albums except for this new one. It has a few good songs but theres nothing that lives up to their previous albums. Everyone hated Gods Of War but I thought it was cool and that was different than the typical Manowar album. This new one just doesn't have anthems and thats what Manowar is good at doing, making metal anthems. Maybe it will eventually grow on me but with Manowar I usually will click with a song right away. The only one that did anything for me right away was El Gringo and its not even that great of a song.


Totally agree. What really stands out to me in this album is the piss poor songwriting. The band sound like they're another band trying to imitate Manowar and doing a poor job at it. The whole thing just reeks of a phoned in album made to keep the fans quiet and pay the bills. At least with the so-so Gods of War you got the feel that the band were genuinely invested in the project. This one starts off uninspired and just keeps going downhill.

I think this reflects how the hardcore Manowar fans will just eat up anything. There is a kind of hardcore fan that sees the band in an almost religious light. On the band's main fourm they actually refer to the band as "The Kings" or "The Gods" at all times. These are they same kind of fan that proclaimed that Lord of Steel was their best album yet upon first hearing that awful "demo" (Yeah right, Joey) mix. When these are the nutcases you're catering for, why even try?



To clarify what I was saying...I was saying that this album isn't going to win over anyone who is on the fence about Manowar. I worded my response poorly.

I just don't know what people were expecting with this album. It's on par with everything they have made since the early 80's. Just good enough to get by so they can have an excuse to tour again.

Yea but why just make a half ass sounding album to just tour? I guess it makes sense. They know their fans or going to buy whatever they release because its been so long since the last album anyway, but if I was them especially at this time in their career I wouldn't release anything unless it sounds like it was worth the wait. This was definitely not worth the wait.

What are you Joey's Mother disguised as Spec? lol! Razz

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1635
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Manowar    Fri Oct 26 2012, 01:06

I know you're a fan like I am Wayne, it's just that if you look back at their discography they haven't made a really good album in forever. In my opinion, their last great one was Louder Than Hell in '96. They have done some good tunes since then, but not an entirely solid album. I don't think they ever will again. My hopes were as low as they could be, so I suppose that's why I'm not at all disappointed in the album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Manowar    

Back to top Go down
 
Manowar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: