HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 60's psych/garage

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2060
Age : 40

PostSubject: 60's psych/garage   Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Who digs the hell out of this stuff?

From the fuzz to the sitar, from '65 to '69 (okay, '70). The Beatles copycats, the Stones imitators, The Who rip-offs, the guys who tried to be Dylan...I love them all.

Obviously the Nuggets sets are essential. I also have a few Back from the Graves, some Teenage Shutdowns, some of the Arf Arf comps.

Probably my favorite album to come out of it all is Fire's Magic Shoemaker.

Anyone have any particular favorite bands, reocrds or singles?
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:16 pm

I do like the Count Five. Pretty good wanna be Yardbirds stuff.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
avatar

Number of posts : 9772
Age : 53

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 pm

I am a Canned Heat and Savoy Brown fanatic and early Fleetwood Mac is bad @$$. Taste is pretty good too. IMHO

_________________
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1268
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:39 pm

I love the mid to late 60's hippy stuff and the english blues bands as well. sunny :flower: I love the mono and the fake stereo!afro :geek: :joker: I dig the protest bands, too angry


soory, I guess it's just a "fun with emoticons" kinda day for me.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:39 am

13th Floor Elevators to be sure.

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn I think is one of the definitive psychedelic albums.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3361
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 am

!3th Floor Elevators are one of my favorites of any genre. Years back when I was much more close-minded musically I happen to read an article about Roky Erickson. I don't know why exactly but it made me have to track down some of their music. Which in the early 90's wasn't easy. Fell in love with it instantly (Easter Everywhere being my introduction).

Also a big fan of Iron Butterfly and Moby Grape.


Quote :
Savoy Brown fanatic

I've recently joined those ranks too. Great stuff.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2060
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 am

jstate wrote:
!3th Floor Elevators are one of my favorites of any genre. Years back when I was much more close-minded musically I happen to read an article about Roky Erickson. I don't know why exactly but it made me have to track down some of their music. Which in the early 90's wasn't easy. Fell in love with it instantly (Easter Everywhere being my introduction).

Also a big fan of Iron Butterfly and Moby Grape.


Quote :
Savoy Brown fanatic

I've recently joined those ranks too. Great stuff.

Roky is one of my favorite musicians ever. His post-13th stuff is so great, with Evil One (or Five Symbols, as the CD I have calls it), is one of my favorite albums ever. His recent album is really good too.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:58 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Probably my favorite album to come out of it all is Fire's Magic Shoemaker.

I don't know how I missed this, but(in case you didn't know) Dave Lambert of Fire joined The Strawbs in 1973. I still haven't gotten a hold of that Fire album............ I need to remedy that.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2060
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:02 am

chewie wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Probably my favorite album to come out of it all is Fire's Magic Shoemaker.

I don't know how I missed this, but(in case you didn't know) Dave Lambert of Fire joined The Strawbs in 1973. I still haven't gotten a hold of that Fire album............ I need to remedy that.

I didn't know that about the Strawbs...I will have to pick up some of their work together.

And yeah, that Fire album is a definite must-have.
Back to top Go down
shed-rock
Metal novice
Metal novice
avatar

Number of posts : 9
Age : 54

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:18 am

I like the San Francisco bands like Jefferson Airplane, Quick Silver Messenger Service and Blue Cheer....
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 am

I thought that he was talking more about little known bands.......... I'm a big Jefferson Airplane fan! From Takes Off to Volunteers, they do no wrong.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2060
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 am

chewie wrote:
I thought that he was talking more about little known bands.......... I'm a big Jefferson Airplane fan! From Takes Off to Volunteers, they do no wrong.

I was really talking about any of it. From the groups that put out 3 decades or more worth of LPs, to the bands that pressed 100 copies of a coverless 45 and then vanished.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 pm

The first 3 Grateful Dead albums are killer, much better than the more popular albums that followed.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1484
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 pm

I really dig alot of this style of music... here are a few of my favorites..


Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2793
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:55 am

On the heavy side

Art (pre Spooky Tooth)
Fuse (teenage Rick Nielson!)
The SRC
Writing on the Wall

and Andromeda

I don't think any of that bleeds over to the 70's.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2060
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:20 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
On the heavy side

Art (pre Spooky Tooth)
Fuse (teenage Rick Nielson!)

I'm not familiar with Art or Fuse. Can you tell me some album names so I can look them up on Amazon? Typing in 'Art' and 'Fuse' give waaaay too many choices of random stuff.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:16 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:
On the heavy side

Art (pre Spooky Tooth)
Fuse (teenage Rick Nielson!)

I'm not familiar with Art or Fuse. Can you tell me some album names so I can look them up on Amazon? Typing in 'Art' and 'Fuse' give waaaay too many choices of random stuff.


Here's Fuse:

http://www.amazon.com/Fuse/dp/B00005NZJW


.... and here is a late 60s band called Touch:

http://www.amazon.com/Touch/dp/B006GE6BNO/ref=pd_sim_m_3

Very good stuff!!!! Also, an album that influenced Kerry Livgren of Kansas. Seventy Five is a killer tune!


Just found out something interesting about Touch. The leader if that band was the guy who wrote the Louie Louie keyboard riff in 1963 when 15 when he was in the Kingsmen.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2793
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Art's album was called "Supernatural Fairy Tales" 1967
Fuse was s/t (add Rick Nielson to the google to find it)

a couple more loud ones

Arcadium- Breath Awhile (69)
Morgen- s/t (I can't find a date, but it sounds very 60's)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 60's psych/garage   

Back to top Go down
 
60's psych/garage
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» UK Garage mix (Pure Oldskool - Ice Cream)
» DJ Rugrat Old Skool Garage Set Vol. 1
» DJ GIB - Old skool UK Garage mix
» UK Garage mix (Pure Oldskool - Ice Cream )'95-'98
» DJ GIB - Vocal UK Garage mix

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: