HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Rock of Ages

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6173
Age : 37

PostSubject: Rock of Ages   Thu May 02, 2013 11:49 am

I noticed no one has talked about Rock of Ages. I was on a business trip and it was the only thing on the hotel TV. I really don't have the time to go into detail at the moment, but I will say it won the top spot in my Most Hated list (previously held by Armageddon). Those who have seen it, what did you think? Those who have not, you have been spared a cruel ordeal.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1635
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 02, 2013 11:56 am

corplhicks wrote:
I noticed no one has talked about Rock of Ages. I was on a business trip and it was the only thing on the hotel TV. I really don't have the time to go into detail at the moment, but I will say it won the top spot in my Most Hated list (previously held by Armageddon). Those who have seen it, what did you think? Those who have not, you have been spared a cruel ordeal.


Julianne Hough was super hot in it.

Other than that I knew what I was going to see. I spent the whole movie looking for mistakes in what was referenced and what year the movie was taking place. (the same thing I did in Hot Tub Time Machine) It was enjoyable enough over a few beers.


Last edited by SpectreFate on Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23843
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 am

Quote :
I noticed no one has talked about Rock of Ages.

There is a reason for that, ya know.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30931
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Quote :
Julianne Hough was super hot in it.

That right there would be the only reason I would ever bother to watch that movie.

Quote :
I noticed no one has talked about Rock of Ages.

...there is an old thread about this movie in the archives...blow the dust off and have some fun

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t17986-tom-cruise-singing-def-leppard?highlight=cruise


_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6532
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Six weeks of intensive hypnotherapy to make me forget that I had ever seen this movie down the drain!!

Thanks a bunch corplhicks!!!! angry
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 02, 2013 3:44 pm

I have zero interest in reliving that era, so I'm surely not going to watch a musical featuring karaoke versions of songs I'm so sick of I never want to hear again in my life.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
avatar

Number of posts : 7860
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 02, 2013 4:23 pm

I guess Im one of the few who enjoyed this movie.I dont know what it is or why but I really liked it.Actually bought the DVD and have watched it a few times.I guess part of it is nostalgia from back in the day, and i know its a bit cheesy but its hard to beat a movie from the scene back in the day. And who can pass up Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand? Hilarious!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 21153
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm

I haven't seen it and have no plans to.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30931
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Mon May 13, 2013 9:20 am

I was returning some DVDs to the library over the weekend and saw "Rock of Ages" on their "New Arrivals" shelf... I almost picked it up out of morbid curiosity.

Notice I said "almost."

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19443
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 am

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I enjoyed every cheese, silly ass moment of this film
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23843
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 am

There is a small part of me that wants to watch this just so I could rip it apart like my own retarded version of MST3K. But I don't know that I could take the Glee-style musical portions.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19443
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Tue May 14, 2013 11:14 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
There is a small part of me that wants to watch this just so I could rip it apart like my own retarded version of MST3K. But I don't know that I could take the Glee-style musical portions.


I never watched Glee, but I imagine its like Glee with a bigger budget and bigger stars massacring of the pop/hair metal songs of our youth.

Its in turns a homage and a parody. I am sure its lot more fun for people who weren't around like those snotty teens and twenty somethings who hang out at Hot Topic by their pre packaged rebellion. I enjoyed it maybe for the same reason every one tears it apart, because it was stupid silly fun. All style, no substance
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 637
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Wed May 15, 2013 11:33 am

manny wrote:
I enjoyed it maybe for the same reason every one tears it apart, because it was stupid silly fun. All style, no substance

I enjoyed it too, and for those same reasons. I didn't expect it to be a masterpiece in any shape or form, and while I wouldn't rush out to go and see it again, there are plenty of movies that when given the choice, I'd prefer to watch Rock of Ages over them.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
avatar

Number of posts : 7860
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 am

manny wrote:
Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I enjoyed every cheese, silly ass moment of this film

Thank You! I was beginning to think I was the only one. Haha
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6532
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 pm

I wanted to like it. I like some musicals, am a big Russel Brand fan, and much as Idont like the music, I thought that it would have some nostalgia for me as those songs were a big part of my teens, trawling around rock pubs/clubs.

But the film is a dog! A big smelly drooling wet dog that's just farted!
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 16, 2013 5:46 pm

I also like musicals...but not ones featuring 80s hair band music. (I also hate anything Andrew Lloyd Weber does).

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 16, 2013 7:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
I also like musicals...but not ones featuring 80s hair band music. (I also hate anything Andrew Lloyd Weber does).


The best thing he did was Jesus Christ Superstar!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master


Number of posts : 707
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 16, 2013 10:25 pm

I've never seen a tom cruise film in my life (unless tropic thunder counts, ok, i also saw Losin It on cable a long time ago), and this film doesnt look like its going to break my record.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6173
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Thu May 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Hadley wrote:
I've never seen a tom cruise film in my life (unless tropic thunder counts, ok, i also saw Losin It on cable a long time ago), and this film doesnt look like its going to break my record.

Impressive.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6532
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am

Hadley wrote:
I've never seen a tom cruise film in my life (unless tropic thunder counts, ok, i also saw Losin It on cable a long time ago), and this film doesnt look like its going to break my record.

If you have never seen a Tom Cruise film then you should, Born on The Fourth of July, Interview With The Vampire, The Last Samurai, and Eyes Wide Shut are all excellent films, no matter what you think of Crazy Tom as a man.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
avatar

Number of posts : 15758
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 pm

S.D. wrote:
I also like musicals...but not ones featuring 80s hair band music. (I also hate anything Andrew Lloyd Weber does).


I personally LOVE "80s hair band music" but would rather hear the real thing than a bunch of crappy Glee-like covers. I also personally HATE musicals. However, I did like Tenacious D & The Pick Of Destiny (musicals that make fun of musicals I can actually enjoy).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6173
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Tue May 21, 2013 3:08 pm

It was a terrible movie, really. It was only the second time I've really gotten angry while watching a movie (first was Armageddon). Anachronistic errors all over, piss poor comedic timing, trite dialogue, and overall playing it too safe with the subject matter. Plus most of the music were AOR standards rather than hard rock or metal (my most hated rock band is Foreigner, so that didn't help things). I also didn't buy the boy band deal, which is a sort of thing that has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. Setting the movie in 1987 was a big mistake because it defeats the plausibility of rock 'dying' as one character insists, and Sunset Strip clubs shutting down due to bankruptcy was not happening at that point.

Worst of all, though--and this is the one thing that made me almost shut it off if it weren't for my diehard philosophy that one should never view any movie part-way--I found their conceptualization of the PMRC characters. Having a bunch of women in wartime church clothes screaming and jumping about like caricatures while Catherine Zeta Jones goes OTT with her own writhing makes Tipper Gore seem pretty awesome in comparison. And what the hell Bryan Cranston??? Not only are you unfunny and annoying, but you've possibly tainted my personal viewing of the remaining season of Breaking Bad!

The epitome of all this is when the PMRC is lined up outside a concert at the 'climax (quickest climax in cinematic history, too; there's absolutely zero tension or build)' singing "We're Not Going to Take it." Try to make sense of that. I could go on.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1635
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm

corplhicks wrote:
It was a terrible movie, really. It was only the second time I've really gotten angry while watching a movie (first was Armageddon). Anachronistic errors all over, piss poor comedic timing, trite dialogue, and overall playing it too safe with the subject matter. Plus most of the music were AOR standards rather than hard rock or metal (my most hated rock band is Foreigner, so that didn't help things). I also didn't buy the boy band deal, which is a sort of thing that has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. Setting the movie in 1987 was a big mistake because it defeats the plausibility of rock 'dying' as one character insists, and Sunset Strip clubs shutting down due to bankruptcy was not happening at that point.

Worst of all, though--and this is the one thing that made me almost shut it off if it weren't for my diehard philosophy that one should never view any movie part-way--I found their conceptualization of the PMRC characters. Having a bunch of women in wartime church clothes screaming and jumping about like caricatures while Catherine Zeta Jones goes OTT with her own writhing makes Tipper Gore seem pretty awesome in comparison. And what the hell Bryan Cranston??? Not only are you unfunny and annoying, but you've possibly tainted my personal viewing of the remaining season of Breaking Bad!

The epitome of all this is when the PMRC is lined up outside a concert at the 'climax (quickest climax in cinematic history, too; there's absolutely zero tension or build)' singing "We're Not Going to Take it." Try to make sense of that. I could go on.


Remember, this was a Broadway play first so the OTT performances are left over from that.

Just curious, what were you expecting.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6173
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Tue May 21, 2013 3:30 pm

I've been told from many sources that the musical itself is nowhere near the level of hyperactivity and tastelessness that carried over to the adaptation. What I did expect was an appropriate homage to the rock and metal of the 1980's, nothing more. Instead it was a poorly executed and erroneous slice of camp and bad taste. What seals this for me is that the filmmakers put this package together in absolute sincerity and earnest. Had John Waters directed it, I would've understood the intentions and gone with it, but this movie was made with the intention of catharsis, no matter how goofy they had to be to get there. Good Broadway does not do this. It's either satire or its not, and Rock of Ages couldn't make up its mind.

EDIT: forgot to say about the OTT performances; I don't mind OTT when it's done with some level of artistic method such as choreography. This was nothing but jumping about aimlessly. I guess the one scene that stuck out for me to say this is the Hit Me With Your Best Shot sequence in the church. After seeing Zeta in the wonderful Chicago, this was a shock. There was choreography, but it was amateur night. All they could do was wiggle and writhe around like a bunch of preschoolers, all to end with Zeta pole dancing a doorway endlessly while making funny faces.

A good example of where tongue-in-cheek works is Hairspray. Not this movie.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1635
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   Tue May 21, 2013 3:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I've been told from many sources that the musical itself is nowhere near the level of hyperactivity and tastelessness that carried over to the adaptation. What I did expect was an appropriate homage to the rock and metal of the 1980's, nothing more. Instead it was a poorly executed and erroneous slice of camp and bad taste. What seals this for me is that the filmmakers put this package together in absolute sincerity and earnest. Had John Waters directed it, I would've understood the intentions and gone with it, but this movie was made with the intention of catharsis, no matter how goofy they had to be to get there. Good Broadway does not do this. It's either satire or its not, and Rock of Ages couldn't make up its mind.

EDIT: forgot to say about the OTT performances; I don't mind OTT when it's done with some level of artistic method such as choreography. This was nothing but jumping about aimlessly. I guess the one scene that stuck out for me to say this is the Hit Me With Your Best Shot sequence in the church. After seeing Zeta in the wonderful Chicago, this was a shock. There was choreography, but it was amateur night. All they could do was wiggle and writhe around like a bunch of preschoolers, all to end with Zeta pole dancing a doorway endlessly while making funny faces.

A good example of where tongue-in-cheek works is Hairspray. Not this movie.


Fair enough. Don't have a stroke. It's just a bad movie. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Rock of Ages   

Back to top Go down
 
Rock of Ages
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Rock of Ages - Rock Worship Hits 2010
» New Ashes Remain!!
» Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"
» HERO's Challenge - Christian Rock & Metal Collage #2
» An interview with Rob Rock.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: