HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Ben Affleck is the new Batman.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:42 am

I actually was one of the few who was fine with Heath playing the Joker. There was really no one else in mind and I already knew him to be a really good actor who just happened to be in some meh films. The coolest thing about his turn as Joker? The fact that he was so good at doing it that I forgot it was Heath beneath the makeup. Now that's effective.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6372
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:00 am

I personally just don't want another Batman movie, no matter who is playing the role. I don't really want another comic book movie.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't really want another comic book movie.
I think many of us are getting burned out on the glut of CGI-powered, spandex clad crusader films, but since Iron Man 3 made over a billion dollars this summer and Man Of Steel managed $650 million, I wouldn't count on them going away anytime soon.

It's going to take a few of these films flopping back to back to halt the endless parade.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4201
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:22 pm

I want comic book movies. I want a ton of comic book movies. But I want them to floor me the way the actual comic books do, (which cost about 98.5% less to make) - not patronize my time, money, and intelligence with mass produced, formulaic crap. I think about 2 have succeeded.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2800
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
I don't really want another comic book movie.
I think many of us are getting burned out on the glut of CGI-powered, spandex clad crusader films, but since Iron Man 3 made over a billion dollars this summer and Man Of Steel managed $650 million, I wouldn't count on them going away anytime soon.  

It's going to take a few of these films flopping back to back to halt the endless parade.  
Being a comic fan boy, I don't mind it, if they're done right. For instance, I loved the Batman Trilogy, I loved The Avengers, I loved Captain-America, I loved the Iron Man trilogy, I loved the first two X-Men, and X-Men First Class, I loved the first two Spider-Man movies, and I really enjoyed the re-boot.

The only movies I didn't care for, were the two Fantastic Four movies, The-Hulk movies, and I thought the Thor movie as well as The Green Lantern movie could have been much better. The newest Thor movie looks promising, as it looks darker and less campy. I think the Hulk franchise has the chance to rebound, with what I believe to be a wonderful selection of Mark Ruffalo as David Banner.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4201
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:32 pm

A few things I'd like to see (but will never happen)


Moon Knight with Snyder/Nolan at the helm and rated R...

Dr. Strange with Del Toro at the helm....

A serious adaptation of 'Annihilation' with James Cameron involved......

Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:52 pm

I come at comic book films from a different angle, I've never read comic books in my life so I judge these films solely as "films" and don't get caught up in the fanboy aspect.

I think several of these films have been very entertaining, I don't expect anything resembling art so I go in with low expectations and just let myself be carried away by the product on display. If the film has good dialogue and some actual character development amid all the cliches then I consider myself lucky.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Dr. Strange with Del Toro...hmmm. That would work. Hell, he did alright with Hellboy.

Anyway, came here to say that, as a comic book reader, I don't care for comic book movies. They simply don't translate well. Here's my top reasons to support this theory:

1. Comic books rely on internal monologues, especially DC characters.
2. Comic book artists, at least since the silver age, rely on hyper-realistic, exaggerated visuals that are difficult to capture in cinematic form.
3. Comic books have a moderate-to-high level of camp--okay, Dark Horse doesn't apply--which is part of the charm and provides assist to the myriad of metaphors throughout. Put these in a script, and it comes out as groan-inducing, which is why a lot of scripts prefer to counter-act this with a high dose of irony and violence. It's also why Frank Miller is a big Hollywood name by now.
4. CG looks like shit, especially in comparison to the hand-drawn artwork of a comic book (see #1).

Now, there are exceptions. Sin City, obviously, is the best adaptation yet (and strangely enough, forgotten). It virtually looks like a comic book, feels like a comic book, and moves like you'd think a comic book should. Of course, Miller is avant-garde and there are no superheroes involved. Watchmen was a very detached experience, but in keeping with Moore's dialogue and the original aesthetic of the novel had that a similar visual experience (one of the few films that did well with the CG). And Joss Whedon's Avenger movie, while actually based on the Ultimates, handled character interaction well.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22212
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
In the interest of giving this whole thing some perspective...

In 1989, fanboys cried foul when they announced Michael Keaton was going to be Batman, too. Of course, we didn't have the Internet then, but in comic book stores nationwide, geeks were gathering and screaming "The guy from BEETLEJUICE? What the F*CK?" ... believe me, I was there.

Then the movie came out and we all had to admit that dammit, he was pretty good. Laughing very hard
my favorite line when they announced Keaton was 'Will bat-fans also care he was Mr. Mom?"

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1137
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
I think several of these films have been very entertaining, I don't expect anything resembling art so I go in with low expectations and just let myself be carried away by the product on display.  If the film has good dialogue and some actual character development amid all the cliches then I consider myself lucky.  
This is my POV as well. I have not seen the any of the Hulk movies and I thought that Superman was total crap. I am comparing them to the Christopher Reeve series though, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

On the subject of Dare Devil, I don't think that Ben Affleck played a bad character. I think he was saddled with a weak plot, lame script, and horrible characters to work with. Collin Farrel played a HORRIBLE Bullseye and Jennifer Garner was an ATROCIOUS Elektra. Kingpin was an ok character at best, but none of those bad casting spots are the fault of Ben Affleck. Collin Farrel is genuinely a good actor, and he made SWAT a great movie, but his Bullseye character was an abomination.

On the subject of past Batmans, my favorite is still Christian Bale, but my favorite Joker by far has been the Jack Nicholson remix. His acting style and portrayal of the Joker was absolutely perfect of that Batman remix and Heath Ledger's portrayal of the character was bizarre. Jack Nicholson brought the crazy but was still corny enough to make the movie a little less dark. I think he added a little of the Cesar Romero nuttiness. I have been told that both Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson both read The Killing Joke in order to study the character of the Joker, as they are similar in many ways, Jack just did it better. Michael Keaton as well played a great Batman.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:18 pm

jettafiend wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I think several of these films have been very entertaining, I don't expect anything resembling art so I go in with low expectations and just let myself be carried away by the product on display.  If the film has good dialogue and some actual character development amid all the cliches then I consider myself lucky.  
This is my POV as well. I have not seen the any of the Hulk movies and I thought that Superman was total crap. I am comparing them to the Christopher Reeve series though, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

On the subject of Dare Devil, I don't think that Ben Affleck played a bad character. I think he was saddled with a weak plot, lame script, and horrible characters to work with. Collin Farrel played a HORRIBLE Bullseye and Jennifer Garner was an ATROCIOUS Elektra. Kingpin was an ok character at best, but none of those bad casting spots are the fault of Ben Affleck. Collin Farrel is genuinely a good actor, and he made SWAT a great movie, but his Bullseye character was an abomination.

On the subject of past Batmans, my favorite is still Christian Bale, but my favorite Joker by far has been the Jack Nicholson remix. His acting style and portrayal of the Joker was absolutely perfect of that Batman remix and Heath Ledger's portrayal of the character was bizarre. Jack Nicholson brought the crazy but was still corny enough to make the movie a little less dark. I think he added a little of the Cesar Romero nuttiness. I have been told that both Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson both read The Killing Joke in order to study the character of the Joker, as they are similar in many ways, Jack just did it better. Michael Keaton as well played a great Batman.
Dead-on, jetta. Nicholson was the classic Joker, pulled right from the page.
Back to top Go down
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
avatar

Number of posts : 255
Age : 61

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:20 pm

I wonder how Ben feels about all this
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:24 pm

This whole thing has been blown out to ridiculous proportions.

I like what Joss Whedon had to say about it on Twitter:

"Affleck'll crush it. He's got the chops, he's got the chin -- just needs the material. Affleck & Cavill toe to toe -- I'm in."
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah, I suppose he does have the chin. Haven't thought about that.
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 18259
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:50 pm

corplhicks wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I think several of these films have been very entertaining, I don't expect anything resembling art so I go in with low expectations and just let myself be carried away by the product on display.  If the film has good dialogue and some actual character development amid all the cliches then I consider myself lucky.  
This is my POV as well. I have not seen the any of the Hulk movies and I thought that Superman was total crap. I am comparing them to the Christopher Reeve series though, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

On the subject of Dare Devil, I don't think that Ben Affleck played a bad character. I think he was saddled with a weak plot, lame script, and horrible characters to work with. Collin Farrel played a HORRIBLE Bullseye and Jennifer Garner was an ATROCIOUS Elektra. Kingpin was an ok character at best, but none of those bad casting spots are the fault of Ben Affleck. Collin Farrel is genuinely a good actor, and he made SWAT a great movie, but his Bullseye character was an abomination.

On the subject of past Batmans, my favorite is still Christian Bale, but my favorite Joker by far has been the Jack Nicholson remix. His acting style and portrayal of the Joker was absolutely perfect of that Batman remix and Heath Ledger's portrayal of the character was bizarre. Jack Nicholson brought the crazy but was still corny enough to make the movie a little less dark. I think he added a little of the Cesar Romero nuttiness. I have been told that both Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson both read The Killing Joke in order to study the character of the Joker, as they are similar in many ways, Jack just did it better. Michael Keaton as well played a great Batman.
Dead-on, jetta. Nicholson was the classic Joker, pulled right from the page.

Sorry but I for one felt Nicholson was playing himself only himself and not the Joker. He was okay in the role but not the definitve portrayal. But then again I am NOT a Nicholson fan.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:19 pm

007 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I think several of these films have been very entertaining, I don't expect anything resembling art so I go in with low expectations and just let myself be carried away by the product on display.  If the film has good dialogue and some actual character development amid all the cliches then I consider myself lucky.  
This is my POV as well. I have not seen the any of the Hulk movies and I thought that Superman was total crap. I am comparing them to the Christopher Reeve series though, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

On the subject of Dare Devil, I don't think that Ben Affleck played a bad character. I think he was saddled with a weak plot, lame script, and horrible characters to work with. Collin Farrel played a HORRIBLE Bullseye and Jennifer Garner was an ATROCIOUS Elektra. Kingpin was an ok character at best, but none of those bad casting spots are the fault of Ben Affleck. Collin Farrel is genuinely a good actor, and he made SWAT a great movie, but his Bullseye character was an abomination.

On the subject of past Batmans, my favorite is still Christian Bale, but my favorite Joker by far has been the Jack Nicholson remix. His acting style and portrayal of the Joker was absolutely perfect of that Batman remix and Heath Ledger's portrayal of the character was bizarre. Jack Nicholson brought the crazy but was still corny enough to make the movie a little less dark. I think he added a little of the Cesar Romero nuttiness. I have been told that both Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson both read The Killing Joke in order to study the character of the Joker, as they are similar in many ways, Jack just did it better. Michael Keaton as well played a great Batman.
Dead-on, jetta. Nicholson was the classic Joker, pulled right from the page.
Sorry but I for one felt Nicholson was playing himself only himself and not the Joker. He was okay in the role but not the definitve portrayal. But then again I am NOT a Nicholson fan.
I would agree with this when Nicholson plays Jack Napier (a name conceived by the film only), but as Joker he has the psychopathic edge of the silver age on, and the campy gag we see in the earlier issues. Nicholson does best in feigning aloofness, which was a typical gesture of the Joker, shrugging as if to say, "who gives a F*ck? Not this guy." It was very well-rounded as a nice summary of all the Batman material that had been released up to that point.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2000
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:15 am

corplhicks wrote:
so big lie that no one believe it.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2000
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:16 am

btw. Affleck as batman ?! ... one disaster.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Portrait of the Affleck complainers...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23618
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:09 pm

AHHHHHH-HA-Ha-ha!!!
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=824542&ocid=ansent11

Laughing very hard Losers Laughing very hard 

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4201
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
AHHHHHH-HA-Ha-ha!!!
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=824542&ocid=ansent11

Laughing very hard Losers Laughing very hard 
No doubt. Crybaby fanboy morons, a bunch of adults acting like kids whose nuts haven't dropped yet. I hope they sign Affleck to a 5 picture deal to play Batman, just to piss these people off.

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30433
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Quote :
The petition has garnered over 30,000 signatures since launched on Thursday.
... or Comic Book Guy signed it 30,000 times under assumed names.




"WORST! Casting decision! EVER! I was registering my displeasure via the Internet within MOMENTS! What's next, Shia LaBoeuf as Galactus?? Don't make me laugh."

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4201
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Did anybody else read that out loud in the CBG voice?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22212
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
The petition has garnered over 30,000 signatures since launched on Thursday.
... or Comic Book Guy signed it 30,000 times under assumed names.




"WORST! Casting decision! EVER! I was registering my displeasure via the Internet within MOMENTS! What's next, Shia LaBoeuf as Galactus?? Don't make me laugh."
now i can use all my fake posting names to do something other than make fun of The Geoff!!! I knew all that work would come in handy!

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ben Affleck is the new Batman.   

Back to top Go down
 
Ben Affleck is the new Batman.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Batman.
» 1960s "BATMAN" TV show
» random/favorite pHOtO thread

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: