HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:05 pm

I've noticed over the years that Doug seems to be a hard sell for many people, not really sure why as I think he's one of the best rock vocalists of the past 30 years, but I hear that again and again.  He's basically a soul singer in a heavy rock band, some people I think have a hard time with that combination.  I've heard similar things about Phil Lynott, Jimi Hendrix, James Dewar (Robin Trower's vocalist), etc.  It's cool though, everyone has different tastes.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6151
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Yeah like MC Doug is tough for me as well. It's not really the soul factor though, considering I enjoy similar types. Can't really put my finger on it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23835
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
He's basically a soul singer in a heavy rock band, some people I think have a hard time with that combination.

I think that could be the issue with me. I'm not sure I'm wording this right, but he sometimes "over-emotes" with the songs. He goes too over-the-top with the "whoa-oh-OHHHHHHH" stuff. I pretty much have the same opinion of Glenn Hughes too (another soul singer in rock).

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6348
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
He's basically a soul singer in a heavy rock band, some people I think have a hard time with that combination.

I think that could be the issue with me. I'm not sure I'm wording this right, but he sometimes "over-emotes" with the songs. He goes too over-the-top with the "whoa-oh-OHHHHHHH" stuff. I pretty much have the same opinion of Glenn Hughes too (another soul singer in rock).

You soulless son of a bitch...

 lol! 

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Well, Doug isn't nearly as unrestrained as Glenn Hughes has the tendency to be, Glenn goes farther than any white guy ever should.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23835
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
He's basically a soul singer in a heavy rock band, some people I think have a hard time with that combination.

I think that could be the issue with me. I'm not sure I'm wording this right, but he sometimes "over-emotes" with the songs. He goes too over-the-top with the "whoa-oh-OHHHHHHH" stuff. I pretty much have the same opinion of Glenn Hughes too (another soul singer in rock).

You soulless son of a bitch...

 lol! 

It's there. It's just hard to see next to my cold, blackened heart.  Twisted Evil 

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6348
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:57 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
He's basically a soul singer in a heavy rock band, some people I think have a hard time with that combination.

I think that could be the issue with me. I'm not sure I'm wording this right, but he sometimes "over-emotes" with the songs. He goes too over-the-top with the "whoa-oh-OHHHHHHH" stuff. I pretty much have the same opinion of Glenn Hughes too (another soul singer in rock).

You soulless son of a bitch...

 lol! 

It's there. It's just hard to see next to my cold, blackened heart.  Twisted Evil 


_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2096
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:00 am

mc666 wrote:
I just wish I could get into Doug's voice. I try & I try & I just can't get into it.

Could it be that you are just not used to actually understanding the words that are coming out of his mouth? Unlike, say, Chris Barnes or Carl Schultz?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
avatar

Number of posts : 4831
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:57 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
mc666 wrote:
I just wish I could get into Doug's voice. I try & I try & I just can't get into it.

Could it be that you are just not used to actually understanding the words that are coming out of his mouth?  Unlike, say, Chris Barnes or Carl Schultz?

Chris Barnes is actually pretty easy to undestand  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11084
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:41 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
mc666 wrote:
I just wish I could get into Doug's voice. I try & I try & I just can't get into it.

Could it be that you are just not used to actually understanding the words that are coming out of his mouth?  Unlike, say, Chris Barnes or Carl Schultz?

Chris Barnes is actually pretty easy to undestand  Laughing 

Yeah, when he's not "singing."

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6151
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:15 am

First video is up. I'm withholding any opinion for now since, well, laptop speakers. It looks like Doug is pounding out some incredible lines but I can't hear it at all at the moment. Looks good, at least.

Question: has Lynch been dialing it back lately? Pretty understated solo (that's a neutral comment btw).

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6151
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Weird. I thought everyone would be all over this.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6348
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:14 pm

I love it...it's not even out yet, and I'm naming it my AOTY. Smile

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm waiting until I can hear the entire album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11084
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:26 am

corplhicks wrote:
Weird. I thought everyone would be all over this.

Pity reply.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6151
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:54 am

Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Weird. I thought everyone would be all over this.

Pity reply.

Perhaps, but I did have a good question left unanswered. :p

EDIT: Razz.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6348
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 am

I don't think Lynch is "dialing it back" as much as "showcasing other strengths". He's not playing like it;s 1987 anymore, he doesn't seem to have the desire to be a Satriani or Vai, and his playing is still spot on and fiery.

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1720
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am

The trailer videos sounded better than this single; I don't care much for this song but I'm still very interested in this project.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
avatar

Number of posts : 4638
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm

The song is good, i'm actually glad they kept it understated, sometimes that shows more emotion then wailing full tilt all the time.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2096
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:31 pm

My copy shipped today. Hope to have it by Thurs.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1720
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 pm

"Stars" and "Gunfight" are my favorite so far. Just started listening to it, but so far this album is very multidimensional. Some of it is kind of bizarre and unexpected, but this is the most interesting songwriting I've heard on a hard rock album this year. I don't anticipate getting bored with this album anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 967
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 pm

I have to say as big of a King's X, (and Dug ,Ty and Jerry individually), fan as I am I really hadn't paid too much attention to this project. I appreciate some of George Lynch's work but I'm no real fan and I'm not a big Korn fan either so I haven't paid attention to Ray, (and not familiar with his previous work).

I've gotta say though after listening to that lead song I really like it. I like Ray's drumming on this and I really like George's guitar playing a lot here as it seems well.. "just right". Dug is great as usual and I think I'll be picking this up. Smile
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1720
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 pm

When this was first announced I was pretty skeptical. Just finished the album though, and I'd give it 9/10 on first listen with the single being the only song that I don't like (aside from the bonus track, but that's mainly because I rarely listen to instrumentals).

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

My favorite tracks for now are:
Stars
Gunfight
I'll Be OK
Sleep
Love
Human Friction

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6151
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I don't think Lynch is "dialing it back" as much as "showcasing other strengths". He's not playing like it;s 1987 anymore, he doesn't seem to have the desire to be a Satriani or Vai, and his playing is still spot on and fiery.

That's a better way to put it. I kind of dig it. I will say that his guest spots on That Metal Show were surprisingly sloppy when he went for broke, but whenever he slowed it down there was a lot of passion and precision. One wonders if he's just plain tired of the whole shred thing. I can see where a guitarist can get tired of it.

I like what I'm hearing so far from this group. Strong stuff, somewhat unconventional yet catchy.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2096
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58 pm

OH - WE CAN SAY "KORN" NOW? Sad....just sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)   

Back to top Go down
 
KXM George Lynch, Doug Pinnick & Ray Luzier (Korn)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» New DTS 5.1 & CD George Benson 'Songs and Stories'
» Upsetter ft Linval Thompson & George Nooks 1983
» Slip knot bassist dead at 38
» Here's my gear (most of it )
» The Car (1977)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: