HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Godzilla (2014)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6230
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Good Lord.
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 21082
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:07 pm

That looks absolutely phenomenal. I will see this opening day.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31114
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:56 pm

THAT. LOOKS. AWESOME.

...I need a towel.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6163
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm in.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 26082
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:04 pm

I need to see a good still of The Big G before I'm in.  I'm still thinking "Pacific Rim"-style obfuscation tactics (night, smoke, water, etc...anything to avoid a clear shot of the monster).  I will admit the sets for this one look spectacular; I especially liked the mangled Statue of Liberty.

I admit I'm just looking for reasons to rip this movie to shreds because I'm convinced today's "Hollywood" can't possibly get a Godzilla film right.  If I'm wrong I'll admit it but somehow I doubt I will be.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 967
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:19 pm

I don't think any remake of the original film could ever take its place in my mind but from everything I've seen and heard about this one I'm genuinely excited to see it.
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 21082
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:22 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I need to see a good still of The Big G before I'm in.  I'm still thinking "Pacific Rim"-style obfuscation tactics (night, smoke, water, etc...anything to avoid a clear shot of the monster).  I will admit the sets for this one look spectacular; I especially liked the mangled Statue of Liberty.

I admit I'm just looking for reasons to rip this movie to shreds because I'm convinced today's "Hollywood" can't possibly get a Godzilla film right.  If I'm wrong I'll admit it but somehow I doubt I will be.


I know how you feel but there's something about this one that just feels right. I hope

At least it's gotta be better than that 1998 debacle

 Cool
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 26082
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 pm

007 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I need to see a good still of The Big G before I'm in.  I'm still thinking "Pacific Rim"-style obfuscation tactics (night, smoke, water, etc...anything to avoid a clear shot of the monster).  I will admit the sets for this one look spectacular; I especially liked the mangled Statue of Liberty.

I admit I'm just looking for reasons to rip this movie to shreds because I'm convinced today's "Hollywood" can't possibly get a Godzilla film right.  If I'm wrong I'll admit it but somehow I doubt I will be.


I know how you feel but there's something about this one that just feels right. I hope

At least it's gotta be better than that 1998 debacle

 Cool

Anything has to be better than that fiasco and it's "Jay Leno Monster".

I do like the dark tone this one seems to be taking; that's much more like the original.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 26082
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Svengo wrote:
I don't think any remake of the original film could ever take its place in my mind but from everything I've seen and heard about this one I'm genuinely excited to see it.
Yeah, that's where I'm coming from too. If you have ever seen the original Japanese version of "Gojira" (the one WITHOUT Raymond Burr), there's a whole lot more going on in the subtext of that movie than just "giant monster stomps on Tokyo".

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2866
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:56 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I especially liked the mangled Statue of Liberty.

The shot right before that is clearly Vegas. It looks like that is supposed to be the Statue of Liberty that sits out in front of New York New York.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6230
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:28 pm

If I have any doubts at all it would be in the writing team--an amateur co-scripting with the writer of the Expendable series and Doom. Not to say those movies are bad, and I haven't seen them, but the main issues with each that I've read is poor narrative and incoherent story arcs. Plus they aren't really known for their insightful dialogue (witty one-liners, perhaps). Going into Godzilla with Edwards directing, I would expect an intelligent formula with credible dialogue and thematic strengths--not just an orgy of visual spectacle. I'm hoping the writers upped their game in penning this. Otherwise we may have a good looking yet empty headed movie. And those are the worst, for me at least.

Also I don't ever take a whole lot away from trailers, but the bits of dialogue in here sound pretty pedestrian. But that's not saying much. It's just the trailer.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Yes, it is the Vegas statue of liberty.

There are other monsters in the film (you see a claw of one of them in the second trailer) so it's possible some of the destruction shots in the trailer aren't necessarily caused by Godzilla. Because of the filmmaker involved this is more like a big budget indie film than your normal major studio Hollywood film, I think doubters are going to be pleasantly surprised by this one.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 26082
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:34 pm

S.D. wrote:
Yes, it is the Vegas statue of liberty.  

There are other monsters in the film (you see a claw of one of them in the second trailer) so it's possible some of the destruction shots in the trailer aren't necessarily caused by Godzilla.  Because of the filmmaker involved this is more like a big budget indie film than your normal major studio Hollywood film, I think doubters are going to be pleasantly surprised by this one.

Quote :
I think doubters are going to be pleasantly surprised by this one

I sure as hell hope so because I'm firmly in the "doubter's camp" on this one. After all, Hollywood is messing with the "god" of my monster movie pantheon here so they better not screw it up....

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6230
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Reading through this thread I again I realized I had forgotten what S.D. said a while back: "In reading interviews with Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Olsen they've both stated to expect a very serious film that focuses on the human characters coping with the disaster. And they have both said to expect actual characters, not the 2-dimensional caricatures that most action and horror films rely on these days." That's refreshing, albeit unexpected from the chosen writing team.

Toho, you may be interested to know that Yoshimitsu Banno is exec producer on this project. Wondering if you're familiar with him. Brings a little more promise to Gojira fans.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 pm

All the creature designs were approved by Toho as acceptable for a 60th anniversary Godzilla film.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4201
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:03 pm

JUST SAW TRAILER


TAKE MY MONEY TAKE MY MONEY TAKE MY MONEY


also yay for largely non "cool/warm" treatment crap in the colors...I like to see what's actually there and not feel like I'm watching a film through blue aviators.
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 21082
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 pm

And there is supposedly (according to IMDB) that there is a cameo by Akira Takarada, a veteran of several Godzilla films, including the lead in the original Godzilla. I thought that was cool.


And Banno was involved with one of the goofiest of Godzilla films, Godzilla vs Hedorah (the Smog Monster over here). That makes me a bit leery but not too much.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
avatar

Number of posts : 4029
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:05 am

I am getting more and more excited for this one!

_________________
What a strange, strange freedom. Only free to choose my chains.

http://www.freewebs.com/sideshowdisaster
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sideshowdisaster
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 12801
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 am

Looks great - I'm in!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1578
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 am

The only way I would not see this is if Michael Bay was directing and Shia Lebouf was the main star.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 13843
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:38 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Looks great - I'm in!

Me too!!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4201
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
The only way I would not see this is if Michael Bay was directing and Shia Lebouf was the main star.

What if Shia Lebouf was directing and Michael Bay starred?
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1578
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
The only way I would not see this is if Michael Bay was directing and Shia Lebouf was the main star.

What if Shia Lebouf was directing and Michael Bay starred?


Maybe if it was: Godzilla vs. Michael Bay
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 21082
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 pm

It would look something like this:



Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1578
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:47 pm

007 wrote:
It would look something like this:




I had that cartoon on an old VHS copy of Godzilla 1985
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Godzilla (2014)   

Back to top Go down
 
Godzilla (2014)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Similar topics
-
» 2014 Cameron Airshow
» Table tennis tournament for 2014
» Road to #MikuExpo 2014
» Evrovizija 2014 (snimci)
» Evrovizija 2014

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: