HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Pink Floyd

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1137
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:05 pm

James B. wrote:
yeppers, Gilmore can express more with a few notes than alot of other players can do with alot of scales.

On the subject of guitarists that come close (sort-of) to the ability to capture the pure emotion of a song that Gilmour does is a short list indeed. I would have to say that Hendrix, Victor Griffin (Place of Skulls), Mike Ness (Social Distortion), Mark Knopfler, and Eric Johnson, are the ones that come close.

I know that Mike Ness plays very few solo's and not the technical variety at all, but when he plays, WOW, that guitar is a part of his soul.

Back to top Go down
gitters
Metal novice
Metal novice
avatar

Number of posts : 10
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Like the album "Wish You Were Here", other than that I don't really care for Pink Floyd that much.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3892
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:59 am

Ive been "exploring" this band alot lately and Ive been finding alot of other great tunes and albums, One album I really love is Meddle I think since this topic died out I had gotten both Meddle and Saucerful of Secrets. Next Floyd purchase I think is going to be Atom Heart Mother or Momentary Lapse of Reason. I really like Gilmore's style so I started listening to clips from his first solo album and now I want that too.... Anybody else dig some of the earlier stuff? One song I am really digging is "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6435
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:21 am

I like all Pink Floyd but I really love the early stuff. Piper at the Gates of Dawn was a life changing record for me.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6629
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:47 am

1. Meddle
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Live At Pompeii
4. More
5. Obscured By Clouds

I really dig any version of 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun'.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:52 am

I like all of Pink Floyd's albums in varying degrees, there are worthwhile moments on every album.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1578
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Love the Floyd!

Wish You Were Here and Animals are desert island discs.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:30 pm

The only Floyd that I can't listen to is The Final Cut(too much bitterness) and The Wall(too burnt out on it), otherwise I dig me some PF, especially in quad!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:54 pm

chewie wrote:
The only Floyd that I can't listen to is The Final Cut(too much bitterness) and The Wall(too burnt out on it), otherwise I dig me some PF, especially in quad!

We're exactly alike in that area. Plus I enjoy the Syd years more at this point in my life.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:32 pm

corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
The only Floyd that I can't listen to is The Final Cut(too much bitterness) and The Wall(too burnt out on it), otherwise I dig me some PF, especially in quad!

We're exactly alike in that area. Plus I enjoy the Syd years more at this point in my life.

The Syd years is more like a year, only 1 studio album and 1 track off another. As much as I love The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn it's essentially a different band from all the records that came out afterward, not just in personnel but in style. In fact I call the Syd band "The Pink Floyd" (as they were initially advertised) and the albums after as "Pink Floyd".

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
The only Floyd that I can't listen to is The Final Cut(too much bitterness) and The Wall(too burnt out on it), otherwise I dig me some PF, especially in quad!

We're exactly alike in that area. Plus I enjoy the Syd years more at this point in my life.

The Syd years is more like a year, only 1 studio album and 1 track off another.  As much as I love The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn it's essentially a different band from all the records that came out afterward, not just in personnel but in style.  In fact I call the Syd band "The Pink Floyd" (as they were initially advertised) and the albums after as "Pink Floyd".  


Weird, I've been really mixed up. For some reason I thought there were more albums I've heard with Syd involved, but I'm mistaken. Regardless, Piper is a fantastic album, and yes, very very different.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6435
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:17 pm

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
The only Floyd that I can't listen to is The Final Cut(too much bitterness) and The Wall(too burnt out on it), otherwise I dig me some PF, especially in quad!

We're exactly alike in that area. Plus I enjoy the Syd years more at this point in my life.

The Syd years is more like a year, only 1 studio album and 1 track off another.  As much as I love The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn it's essentially a different band from all the records that came out afterward, not just in personnel but in style.  In fact I call the Syd band "The Pink Floyd" (as they were initially advertised) and the albums after as "Pink Floyd".  


Weird, I've been really mixed up. For some reason I thought there were more albums I've heard with Syd involved, but I'm mistaken. Regardless, Piper is a fantastic album, and yes, very very different.

Nope, just Piper & Jugband Blues from the second record. I also really enjoy The Madcap Laughs and Barrett although I'll admit that they are patchy.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Pink Floyd discography:

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (with Syd) (1967)
A Saucerful Of Secrets (1 track with Syd, Jugband Blues, debut album with David Gilmour) (1968)
More (1969)
Ummagumma (1969)
Atom Heart Mother (1970)
Meddle (1971)
Obscured By Clouds (1972)
Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)
The Final Cut (without Rick Wright) (1983)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (without Waters) (1987)
The Division Bell (without Waters) (1994)

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25263
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:26 pm

I still say Animals is my favorite. The lyrics are dark, cynical but also weirdly hopeful (my favorite track, "Sheep").

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1578
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:29 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I still say Animals is my favorite.  The lyrics are dark, cynical but also weirdly hopeful (my favorite track, "Sheep").  

Animals is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4942
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Animals was my first Pink Floyd experience, but I'd say Meddle's my favorite nowadays. But then again, I've never heard a Pink Floyd album I didn't at least find something to enjoy on.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25263
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:13 pm

I think my love for "Animals" is at least somewhat "colored" by the circumstances under which I heard it for the first time.   If you know what I mean....

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4942
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I think my love for "Animals" is at least somewhat "colored" by the circumstances under which I heard it for the first time.   If you know what I mean....

I've got no idea what you could possibly be hinting at.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3892
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
The only Floyd that I can't listen to is The Final Cut(too much bitterness) and The Wall(too burnt out on it), otherwise I dig me some PF, especially in quad!

We're exactly alike in that area. Plus I enjoy the Syd years more at this point in my life.

The Syd years is more like a year, only 1 studio album and 1 track off another.  As much as I love The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn it's essentially a different band from all the records that came out afterward, not just in personnel but in style.  In fact I call the Syd band "The Pink Floyd" (as they were initially advertised) and the albums after as "Pink Floyd".  


Weird, I've been really mixed up. For some reason I thought there were more albums I've heard with Syd involved, but I'm mistaken. Regardless, Piper is a fantastic album, and yes, very very different.

Nope, just Piper & Jugband Blues from the second record. I also really enjoy The Madcap Laughs and Barrett although I'll admit that they are patchy.

He also played some of the guitar on Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun (studio version) at least according to the band in the documentary Ive seen on them.

There was another album maybe it was rehash of older material it was called Relics its got Arnold Layne and See Emily Play both Syd tunes.....
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Addy wrote:

There was another album maybe it was rehash of older material it was called Relics its got Arnold Layne and See Emily Play both Syd tunes.....

Those songs were taken from the Piper At The Gates of Dawn sessions. See Emily Play was on the US version of Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (it was a single in the UK). The other tracks not on the LP releases were Arnold Layne, Candy and a Currant Bun, Apples & Oranges and Paintbox, all of these songs were included on the 40th anniversary CD reissue.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19278
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
The only Floyd that I can't listen to is The Final Cut(too much bitterness) and The Wall(too burnt out on it), otherwise I dig me some PF, especially in quad!

We're exactly alike in that area. Plus I enjoy the Syd years more at this point in my life.

The Syd years is more like a year, only 1 studio album and 1 track off another.  As much as I love The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn it's essentially a different band from all the records that came out afterward, not just in personnel but in style.  In fact I call the Syd band "The Pink Floyd" (as they were initially advertised) and the albums after as "Pink Floyd".  


Weird, I've been really mixed up. For some reason I thought there were more albums I've heard with Syd involved, but I'm mistaken. Regardless, Piper is a fantastic album, and yes, very very different.

Nope, just Piper & Jugband Blues from the second record. I also really enjoy The Madcap Laughs and Barrett although I'll admit that they are patchy.

I love those two albums, whenever I post a Syd Barrett solo tune on FB, nobody expect two diehard Pink Floyd fans who he is, which too me is sad, despite his issues man was very talented
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3892
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:59 am

I think had Syd been able to better deal with fame and not done so many drugs and stayed in Floyd I think the band would have been very different today
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3892
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:27 am

Hope nobody minds me bumping this, I have been listening to ALOT of Pink Floyd, I finally sat and listened to the Piper at the Gates of Dawn through its entireity I really like it. Syd was such an original and awesome writer. I had liked a few Syd tunes prior, Arnold Layne and See Emily Play. but this album was a good album.

Im thinking for my next Floyd albums im thinking Momentary Lapse of Reason and or Atom Heart Mother.
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:39 pm

It's a little tricky to find on its own, but there was a cd of early singles released with the Shine On box set back in the 90s or thereabouts that has all of the non-album Syd songs. It's top-notch stuff and a great companion to Piper, even if the later singles are Syd-less.

I think you can also get them on that deluxe edition of Piper that came out a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Yes, the 40th anniversary (3 Disc version) has all the Shine On material plus a couple extras including the version of Interstellar Overdrive from the french TV show and also a rare stereo mix of Apples & Oranges.

http://amzn.com/B000T05R8Q
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Pink Floyd   

Back to top Go down
 
Pink Floyd
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Pink Floyd
» Rare version of "Wish You Were Here" to be released
» A Momentary Lapse of Reason remix, partial re-record coming...
» Floyd Sneed!
» kill city to be reissued on pink vinyl

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: