HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 David Bowie Reissues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 33

PostSubject: David Bowie Reissues   Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:51 am

Ok, weird question for everyone:

I have most of the EMI reissues of the Bowie catalog up to Scary Monsters. Sound quality is good, no problem.

However... I'm aware that the Ryko reissues that came first had unreleased cuts on almost every album. Since they're out of print, it's down to tracking them down used, but none seem to be stupid expensive. Is it worth grabbing them up for the unreleased stuff or is most of it dispensable?

I used to have the Young Americans Ryko release and dug the bonus stuff on that, but I don't know if that was the odd man out in the catalog.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:16 pm

I got the EMI reissues. I'm happy with those. I'm not the biggest Bowie fan but I do enjoy his older stuff. I have a bunch of Ryko discs of Elvis Costello. Again I'm not a huge Elvis costello fan but I enjoy his older stuff and the ones I have that have extra bonus tracks I couldn't tell you anything about those extra songs because I rarely listen to them.

I really comes down to how big of a fan are you? A lot of time those extra tracks are extra tracks for a reason and are usually throw aways and shouldn't be heard by anyone haha. There are the rare occasions that those extra tracks are really worth listening to. I only got those Elvis Costello ones cause I found them cheap otherwise I probably would have gotten the originals.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 pm

When it comes to Costello, I'm a total junkie, so I'd be screaming at you to pick up the now OOP Rhino reissues that have an entire second DISC of extra tracks to accompany them. Keep in mind, even his "bad" albums tended to be awesome in demo form, so that second disc can salvage an entire body of songwriting.

With the Bowie stuff, my main allergy would be to having the EMI reissues and needing to keep them for the sound quality but also have the Ryko catalog for the bonus cuts. That would just be one of those "collectorisms" that make me feel like a bit of a tool (especially on moving day) unless there was some really strikingly good stuff on those discs.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19205
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:23 am

IMO if you find them cheap, worth picking up. His bonus material is by no means essential, but usually there are hidden gems on those Ryko discs.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Runicen wrote:
When it comes to Costello, I'm a total junkie, so I'd be screaming at you to pick up the now OOP Rhino reissues that have an entire second DISC of extra tracks to accompany them.  Keep in mind, even his "bad" albums tended to be awesome in demo form, so that second disc can salvage an entire body of songwriting.

With the Bowie stuff, my main allergy would be to having the EMI reissues and needing to keep them for the sound quality but also have the Ryko catalog for the bonus cuts.  That would just be one of those "collectorisms" that make me feel like a bit of a tool (especially on moving day) unless there was some really strikingly good stuff on those discs.   Smile 

Wait.... Sorry I confused myself. I actually have a mix of Rhino and Ryko reissues of Elvis Costello so you won't have to yell at me too much. haha

I know what you mean tho, but I only get that way about my favorite bands. Helloween, Iron Maiden (maybe not so much a collector of everything but I do have doubles), King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, theres a few others.

The thing I like about the EMI Bowie reissues is the spines where it has the small version of the album artwork. I actually have 2 or 3 I'd like to replace for those. One is Diamond dogs. I have a 2 cd of that one its in a slip case. The other is......damn I can't think at the moment but it was like one of his worst albums. I have the original but the booklet has a cut in it. Doesn't really bother me cause I honestly don't listen to it but I'd like to get the one that matches the rest haha. I think theres one more but I forget, I'd have to look.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Wait.... Sorry I confused myself. I actually have a mix of Rhino and Ryko reissues of Elvis Costello so you won't have to yell at me too much. haha

I know what you mean tho, but I only get that way about my favorite bands. Helloween, Iron Maiden (maybe not so much a collector of everything but I do have doubles), King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, theres a few others.

The thing I like about the EMI Bowie reissues is the spines where it has the small version of the album artwork. I actually have 2 or 3 I'd like to replace for those. One is Diamond dogs. I have a 2 cd of that one its in a slip case. The other is......damn I can't think at the moment but it was like one of his worst albums. I have the original but the booklet has a cut in it. Doesn't really bother me cause I honestly don't listen to it but I'd like to get the one that matches the rest haha. I think theres one more but I forget, I'd have to look.

I'm going to venture to guess that the double of one of "his worst" would be Black Tie White Noise. I picked up the deluxe ed of that a year or so back as a completist thing and only because it was dirt cheap through an Amazon seller. Admittedly, I've never heard anything on it that filled me with hate, but it didn't endear itself to me either.

I find that some bands' albums only tell part of the story. Nothing pleased me more than the Edsel reissues of the Jesus & Mary Chain discography. I mean, talk about a SILLY amount of extra stuff. You got the album usualy with some bonuses tacked on to the end (not super crazy about stuff at the end of the album, but it can't always be helped) and then a second disc with damn near EVERY period rarity or b-side and a DVD with the visuals to go along with it. It's less about the album itself and more a period of time for the band. When you dig the band, that's glorious to dig into. Now, not every band is that interesting to check under the hood with. Costello has been a hot mess for most of his career, so his off-cuts tended to be pretty fascinating. I mean, I HATED Punch the Clock, but the demos on the two disc Rhino version redeemed a lot of songs that lost punch via the really sugary production. Even albums I loved, like Imperial Bedroom (personal favorite) were amazing to hear in punkier incarnations before he went full art-rock later in the album's production.

My main sticking point with Bowie and the Ryko stuff is knowing it's far from exhaustive (his latest "deluxe" reissues are pretty embarassing - so-so content at deluxe ed prices). If the stuff included is worth it, I'll hunt them down. If not, I don't really feel like letting the thin white duke take up most of a shelf.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19205
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:00 pm

I must be a major fanboy because I liked (not loved) Black Tie/White Noise, the only album I saw as a complete dud was 'Tonight', talked about phoned in performance
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
avatar

Number of posts : 6796
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:40 pm

The two disc EMI releases have most of if not all the bonus tracks from the Ryko reissues I believe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Runicen wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Wait.... Sorry I confused myself. I actually have a mix of Rhino and Ryko reissues of Elvis Costello so you won't have to yell at me too much. haha

I know what you mean tho, but I only get that way about my favorite bands. Helloween, Iron Maiden (maybe not so much a collector of everything but I do have doubles), King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, theres a few others.

The thing I like about the EMI Bowie reissues is the spines where it has the small version of the album artwork. I actually have 2 or 3 I'd like to replace for those. One is Diamond dogs. I have a 2 cd of that one its in a slip case. The other is......damn I can't think at the moment but it was like one of his worst albums. I have the original but the booklet has a cut in it. Doesn't really bother me cause I honestly don't listen to it but I'd like to get the one that matches the rest haha. I think theres one more but I forget, I'd have to look.

I'm going to venture to guess that the double of one of "his worst" would be Black Tie White Noise.  I picked up the deluxe ed of that a year or so back as a completist thing and only because it was dirt cheap through an Amazon seller.  Admittedly, I've never heard anything on it that filled me with hate, but it didn't endear itself to me either.

I find that some bands' albums only tell part of the story.  Nothing pleased me more than the Edsel reissues of the Jesus & Mary Chain discography.  I mean, talk about a SILLY amount of extra stuff.  You got the album usualy with some bonuses tacked on to the end (not super crazy about stuff at the end of the album, but it can't always be helped) and then a second disc with damn near EVERY period rarity or b-side and a DVD with the visuals to go along with it.  It's less about the album itself and more a period of time for the band.  When you dig the band, that's glorious to dig into.  Now, not every band is that interesting to check under the hood with.  Costello has been a hot mess for most of his career, so his off-cuts tended to be pretty fascinating.  I mean, I HATED Punch the Clock, but the demos on the two disc Rhino version redeemed a lot of songs that lost punch via the really sugary production.  Even albums I loved, like Imperial Bedroom (personal favorite) were amazing to hear in punkier incarnations before he went full art-rock later in the album's production.

My main sticking point with Bowie and the Ryko stuff is knowing it's far from exhaustive (his latest "deluxe" reissues are pretty embarassing - so-so content at deluxe ed prices).  If the stuff included is worth it, I'll hunt them down.  If not, I don't really feel like letting the thin white duke take up most of a shelf.   Laughing 

Nope, it's Never Let Me Down. I have the original one of that one not that double cd or reissue.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:15 am

Well, it looks like the record industry is eliminating the need for me to track down the earliest stuff on Ryko. I'm just hoping that the new remaster job isn't a botched one.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/david-bowie-five-years-1969-1973-new-cd-and-vinyl-box-sets/#more-114346
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:32 pm

cool. I'll have to let my friend know. hes been waiting for a box set

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:45 am

Along with my hopes that they didn't totally bork the sound on these new remasters, there's the hope that it becomes a bit more reasonably priced (personally, at around $60, it'd be a "must buy" for me, but much above that and I'll probably pass).
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2954
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Runicen wrote:
Well, it looks like the record industry is eliminating the need for me to track down the earliest stuff on Ryko.  I'm just hoping that the new remaster job isn't a botched one.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/david-bowie-five-years-1969-1973-new-cd-and-vinyl-box-sets/#more-114346


I have been looking for a cheap way to get Bowie's early material, might just have to pick this up. Thanks for the link Cool
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:37 pm

No problem. If there's enough interest on the board, i can throw these out as I find them. As collector scum, I tend to follow a few blogs on new releases - particularly box sets - but I didn't want to put a hurt on anyone's wallet the way the hurt has been put on mine. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7550
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:53 pm

hahaha yea man put them up

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.phoenixreign.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3831
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I got the EMI reissues. I'm happy with those. I'm not the biggest Bowie fan but I do enjoy his older stuff. I have a bunch of Ryko discs of Elvis Costello. Again I'm not a huge Elvis costello fan but I enjoy his older stuff and the ones I have that have extra bonus tracks I couldn't tell you anything about those extra songs because I rarely listen to them.

I really comes down to how big of a fan are you? A lot of time those extra tracks are extra tracks for a reason and are usually throw aways and shouldn't be heard by anyone haha. There are the rare occasions that those extra tracks are really worth listening to. I only got those Elvis Costello ones cause I found them cheap otherwise I probably would have gotten the originals.  

I have the EMI reissues as well, but I do have one RYKO reissue I believe of Man Who Sold the World, its got some rough cuts of Moonage Daydream hehe
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: David Bowie Reissues   

Back to top Go down
 
David Bowie Reissues
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Iggy POP / David Bowie connection
» Iggy, Bowie, Berlin
» Bowie, Iggy, Underground on New Soundtrack to "Control&
» Iggy Pop and Davd Bowie in movie 'Lust for Life'
» Iggy & Bowie 1975 rare tracks

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: