HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 All things Metallica

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
avatar

Number of posts : 4831
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sun May 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Metallica might have been influenced by Diamond Head and NWOBHM, but they certainly never sounded like those bands.

They don't sound the same because Sean Harris is actually a real singer.

I win.

I thought I won?
 surprised
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sun May 25, 2014 8:29 pm

.


Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 11062
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sun May 25, 2014 9:03 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Metallica might have been influenced by Diamond Head and NWOBHM, but they certainly never sounded like those bands.

They don't sound the same because Sean Harris is actually a real singer.

I win.

I thought I won?
 surprised

You never win.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
avatar

Number of posts : 4831
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sun May 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Metallica might have been influenced by Diamond Head and NWOBHM, but they certainly never sounded like those bands.

They don't sound the same because Sean Harris is actually a real singer.

I win.

I thought I won?
 surprised

You never win.

Even when I'm losing, I'm winning Wink
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 19809
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sun May 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Time for a little absurdity in this argument.



Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
avatar

Number of posts : 421
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:55 pm

After selling a bunch of my music years ago to pay the bills, I finally started reacquiring my Metallica catalog. Of course after getting the first 3 albums back, my vehicle craps out on me.   
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5210
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 am

The Metal Massacre version of Hit the Lights sounds A LOT like DIAMOND HEAD.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:51 pm

If Foo Fighters can do it...so can Metallica evidently.

Metallica will be performing a week-long residency on the Craig Ferguson show starting November 17th. The celebration is a send-off for Craig, coinciding with his final week hosting The Late Late Show.

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-10-29/metallica-the-late-late-show-residency/
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
avatar

Number of posts : 6817
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The Metal Massacre version of Hit the Lights sounds A LOT like DIAMOND HEAD.

Yes, indeed it does. Part of the reason I liked it so much initially.

S.D. wrote:
If Foo Fighters can do it...so can Metallica evidently.

Metallica will be performing a week-long residency on the Craig Ferguson show starting November 17th.  The celebration is a send-off for Craig, coinciding with his final week hosting The Late Late Show.  

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-10-29/metallica-the-late-late-show-residency/

I thought this was pretty cool when I heard about it. I already watch the Late Late show, so it's just a nice added bonus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23768
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 am

S.D. wrote:
If Foo Fighters can do it...so can Metallica evidently.

Metallica will be performing a week-long residency on the Craig Ferguson show starting November 17th.  The celebration is a send-off for Craig, coinciding with his final week hosting The Late Late Show.  

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-10-29/metallica-the-late-late-show-residency/

I look forward to watching their performances the next day on YouTube and posting them here for everyone to criticize Razz

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6130
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:58 am

Looks like we're finally getting deluxe remasters of the first two albums, and they're asking for fan-submitted content for inclusion, which is kind of neat. Questions of sound quality come to mind. From Blabbermouth:

Quote :
METALLICA is seeking help from the band's fans while preparing remastered, deluxe editions of their first two albums, 1983's "Kill 'Em All" and 1984's "Ride The Lightning", which they hope to put out in 2015. Anyone who has photos of the group and memorabilia or audio of concerts METALLICA played between 1983 and 1985 is being asked to submit them for possible inclusion in the reissues.

"We want it all," the band wrote on its web site. "Did you manage to sneak a video camera into a show long before they fit in your pocket? Maybe your old instamatic camera for some snapshots? A cassette Walkman with a microphone? We're looking for anything and everything...audio, video, photos, fliers, ticket stubs, the set list you picked up off the floor and in general any mementos you may have from that around that time."

Fans with items of interest, including stories, can e-mail METALLICA at submissions@metclub.com. The band added, "By submitting it, you're saying we can use it should your piece of history land on a release (yes, the lawyers made us add this part!)."

Originally issued on July 25, 1983 through the independent label Megaforce Records, "Kill 'Em All" was recorded in two weeks on a miniscule budget in upstate New York. Although only 1,500 copies were initially pressed, the album was reissued by Elektra Records after the band signed to that label in 1984 and has since been certified triple platinum for sales of more than three million copies.

The varied sounds of "Ride The Lightning", which included the first METALLICA ballad in "Fade To Black", drew mixed responses from some fans. The band's drummer, Lars Ulrich, told Rolling Stone magazine: "It did surprise us a little bit, I guess. People started calling us sellouts and all that type of stuff. Some people were a little bit bewildered by the fact that there was a song that had acoustic guitars."

Noting that at least four songs from the album are still part of METALLICA's live set today, Ulrich said that "Ride The Lightning" "holds up very well," adding, "There's kind of a youthful energy that runs through the record."

To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the release of METALLICA's six-time-platinum third album, "Master Of Puppets" — the band's last record with bassist Cliff Burton — in 2016, the group is collaborating with an author named Matt Taylor on a book about the making of the LP.

Taylor, who wrote an acclaimed and extensively detailed book on the making of the movie "Jaws", contacted the band with a proposal to create a definitive history of "Master Of Puppets". The band explained: "When we took a spin through 'Jaws: Memories From Martha's Vineyard', we were so blown away by the presentation, thorough coverage, and attention to detail that went into it, we knew he was the man to help us celebrate the upcoming 30th anniversary of that release."

The group stated that Taylor "has been very busy doing extensive interviews with all of us, our managers, record company staff, people we hung with then and Cliff's dad Ray," but added, "Matt's plan for the 'Master Of Puppets' book is to lean heavily on amateur, fan-taken photos and stories reflecting the grassroots vibe of the time."


Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-to-release-remastered-deluxe-editions-of-kill-em-all-and-ride-the-lightning/#DdOFR0q7CsFoSLvk.99
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
avatar

Number of posts : 22347
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:09 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Looks like we're finally getting deluxe remasters of the first two albums, and they're asking for fan-submitted content for inclusion, which is kind of neat. Questions of sound quality come to mind. From Blabbermouth:

Quote :
METALLICA is seeking help from the band's fans while preparing remastered, deluxe editions of their first two albums, 1983's "Kill 'Em All" and 1984's "Ride The Lightning", which they hope to put out in 2015. Anyone who has photos of the group and memorabilia or audio of concerts METALLICA played between 1983 and 1985 is being asked to submit them for possible inclusion in the reissues.

"We want it all," the band wrote on its web site. "Did you manage to sneak a video camera into a show long before they fit in your pocket? Maybe your old instamatic camera for some snapshots? A cassette Walkman with a microphone? We're looking for anything and everything...audio, video, photos, fliers, ticket stubs, the set list you picked up off the floor and in general any mementos you may have from that around that time."

Fans with items of interest, including stories, can e-mail METALLICA at submissions@metclub.com. The band added, "By submitting it, you're saying we can use it should your piece of history land on a release (yes, the lawyers made us add this part!)."

Originally issued on July 25, 1983 through the independent label Megaforce Records, "Kill 'Em All" was recorded in two weeks on a miniscule budget in upstate New York. Although only 1,500 copies were initially pressed, the album was reissued by Elektra Records after the band signed to that label in 1984 and has since been certified triple platinum for sales of more than three million copies.

The varied sounds of "Ride The Lightning", which included the first METALLICA ballad in "Fade To Black", drew mixed responses from some fans. The band's drummer, Lars Ulrich, told Rolling Stone magazine: "It did surprise us a little bit, I guess. People started calling us sellouts and all that type of stuff. Some people were a little bit bewildered by the fact that there was a song that had acoustic guitars."

Noting that at least four songs from the album are still part of METALLICA's live set today, Ulrich said that "Ride The Lightning" "holds up very well," adding, "There's kind of a youthful energy that runs through the record."

To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the release of METALLICA's six-time-platinum third album, "Master Of Puppets" — the band's last record with bassist Cliff Burton — in 2016, the group is collaborating with an author named Matt Taylor on a book about the making of the LP.

Taylor, who wrote an acclaimed and extensively detailed book on the making of the movie "Jaws", contacted the band with a proposal to create a definitive history of "Master Of Puppets". The band explained: "When we took a spin through 'Jaws: Memories From Martha's Vineyard', we were so blown away by the presentation, thorough coverage, and attention to detail that went into it, we knew he was the man to help us celebrate the upcoming 30th anniversary of that release."

The group stated that Taylor "has been very busy doing extensive interviews with all of us, our managers, record company staff, people we hung with then and Cliff's dad Ray," but added, "Matt's plan for the 'Master Of Puppets' book is to lean heavily on amateur, fan-taken photos and stories reflecting the grassroots vibe of the time."


Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-to-release-remastered-deluxe-editions-of-kill-em-all-and-ride-the-lightning/#DdOFR0q7CsFoSLvk.99

this is a plot by Metallica to sue everyone who has cheated them out of profits. Gene Simmons is now kicking himself for not thinking of this first.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6020
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:23 pm

I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30783
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Over the past 30+ years I have bought those two Metallica albums several times on vinyl, cassette, and CD. To get me to re-buy them yet again they'd have to resurrect Cliff Burton from the dead and have him deliver them to my house personally!

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 4772
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:47 pm

There are two metallica albums I still hesitate to pick up: load and st anger.

even if it is to complete my collection. I always hold them in my hand and place them back on the store shelves.

Hopefully I will not regret it the day they are out of print.
Back to top Go down
GUEST
R.I.P.
R.I.P.


Number of posts : 22086

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back.  Ugh.

That was my first thought, but I'm glad you posted it instead because if I say anything about mastering I generally get the third degree.

I'm pretty much burned out on those albums right now, maybe in another 5 years or so they'll start to sound good to me again.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2042
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:37 am

If they have unreleased tracks, even one unreleased track, from the time period, I will buy them in a heartbeat.

Are there unused tracks running around from those sessions? I have no idea. Metallica and GNR, I'm always hoping that one day someone drops an album of unused tracks, GNR from any time in their proper lifespan and Metallica any time up to Black Album.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:17 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back.  Ugh.

cool
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 12799
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back.  Ugh.
 

That was my first thought too.........
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 920
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:08 am

More ridiculous BS to further stall work on the new album. I figure hell will freeze over before these lazy old pricks put out anything new.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
avatar

Number of posts : 9085
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:31 am

When they do put out something new, everyone will bitch & whine that it doesn't sound like the first 4. They would probably fair better to just keep reissuing those.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6507
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:58 am

I don't think I've ever seen the slightest bit of criticism when Iron Maiden steamroller through their never ending cycle of fan fleecing (those picture discs sold well, bet they will lap up the back catalogue on 180grm vinyl! Very Happy $$$$ Very Happy )

I've got the Metallica records in a format I'm happy with (the same goes for Iron Maiden) so I won't bother with these, but they aren't doing anything that just about every other major band does so I don't get the hate other than the fact that they suck a bit these days.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 12799
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:15 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen the slightest bit of criticism when Iron Maiden steamroller through their never ending cycle of fan fleecing (those picture discs sold well, bet they will lap up the back catalogue on 180grm vinyl! Very Happy $$$$ Very Happy )


The picture discs and 180 gram vinyl are limited edition and not a major release targeted at the collectors..... BTW - i bought the 180 GM vinyl (they sound FANTASTIC) and not the picture discs...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6507
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen the slightest bit of criticism when Iron Maiden steamroller through their never ending cycle of fan fleecing (those picture discs sold well, bet they will lap up the back catalogue on 180grm vinyl! Very Happy $$$$ Very Happy )


The picture discs and 180 gram vinyl are limited edition and not a major release targeted at the collectors..... BTW - i bought the 180 GM vinyl (they sound FANTASTIC) and not the picture discs...

I don't really have a problem with it, just pointing out the different attitudes shown towards different bands.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 920
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:21 am

mc666 wrote:
When they do put out something new, everyone will bitch & whine that it doesn't sound like the first 4. They would probably fair better to just keep reissuing those.

In a world where people non-jokingly defend travesties such as "St. Anger" and "Lulu," I don't think that really matters much to the devout fanboys that make up 75% of Metallica's fanbase.

I'd also like to meet the person who actually anticipates the next album to be anything close to the greatness of their first four.


Last edited by DakotaRogers on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OCD)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   

Back to top Go down
 
All things Metallica
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
 Similar topics
-
» DAVE MUSTAINE Wants To Form 'Supergroup' With METALLICA's HETFIELD, ULRICH - Aug. 10, 2011
» Megadeth Frontman Issues Open Letter To Metallica
» Metallica's new stage...
» Metallica
» What are the things you like the most?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: