HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Albums You Loved Years Ago...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7461
Age : 44

PostSubject: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:53 pm



This is an album I remember getting as a new release on cassette when it came out in '87. I loved it, Played the heck out of it. Fast forward to 2010 and I finally score a reasonably priced remaster and cross it off the want list. I play it through a few times and enjoy it; but I can't see/ hear what I was crazy about back in the day. This album was in regular rotation in my Walkman along with Ratt, Whitesnake, Dokken, and QR; and I still love and go back to those albums all the time.I played "Perfect Timing" this morning and it's still the same conundrum. I just don't get it.

Any albums you guys (and gal) feel fit this category for you?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 27524
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Carmen - Fandangos In Space

I had this on vinyl in the early 70s. I think I liked the combination of flamenco and progressive vibes. But listening to it now, not only does it sound pretty dated but it's also quite boring after a while. This track still isn't half bad though.


_________________
"From what Iím gleaning, the problem in America isnít guns, itís stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6824
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Not going to be a popular choice but.



Not saying that I don't like it but at the time it came out it was my favorite IM album, now I think it's inferior by some margin to the four that preceded it
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6493
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:54 pm

I was a huge fan of Extreme's S/T and Pornografitti when they came out. I recently listened to both albums and neither did anything for me.


Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 27524
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:54 pm

I still like some of Pornografitti (Get The Funk Out!), but I totally agree that their music has not aged well.

_________________
"From what Iím gleaning, the problem in America isnít guns, itís stupid people."
- Ginger Wildheart
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6296
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:27 pm

A ton of 80's commercial metal does little to nothing for me anymore.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 896
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:31 pm

the sentinel wrote:


This is an album I remember getting as a new release on cassette when it came out in '87. I loved it, Played the heck out of it. .


Same for me! I also bought this album close to when it came out (on cassette). I bought it after seeing "Gimme Your Love" on MTV (probably Headbanger's Ball). Played it to death on my walkman. A few years ago, when I was transferring cassettes to mp3s, I found that I had wore it out. I bought it on vinyl from eBay. I still love the two singles ("Gimme Your Love" and "Love Is Not A Game") but not so much the rest. "Follow the Night" is downright cheesy.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
avatar

Number of posts : 19840
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:55 pm

I have to agree with the choice of MSG 'Perfect Timing which is perfectly titled album, at the time of its release I loved it, now adays still a decent album but it has not aged very well
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 7461
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:34 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Not going to be a popular choice but.



Not saying that I don't like it but at the time it came out it was my favorite IM album, now I think it's inferior by some margin to the four that preceded it

I have found that I have a new appreciation for this one (and No Prayer) as I didn't play the heck out of it back in the day. I had this one cranking while I was lifting the other day.

Thanks for the contributions everyone. Smile
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:30 am

I would guess that 60% to 70% of the music I bought between 1984 and 1996 I no longer listen to.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3618
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:59 am

I took a listen to Flick Of The Switch - and though I still enjoyed it, it certainly is not as great as I remember it being. I love it and at one point in my teens it was one of my favorite AC/DC albums, now not so much.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5012
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:24 am

Thelemech wrote:
I took a listen to Flick Of The Switch - and though I still enjoyed it, it certainly is not as great as I remember it being. I love it and at one point in my teens it was one of my favorite AC/DC albums, now not so much.

That is still my favorite Brian Johnson era album.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2955
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 am

chewie wrote:
Thelemech wrote:
I took a listen to Flick Of The Switch - and though I still enjoyed it, it certainly is not as great as I remember it being. I love it and at one point in my teens it was one of my favorite AC/DC albums, now not so much.

That is still my favorite Brian Johnson era album.

Yeah, mine too and by a wide margin. Here's an album where you the listener have to press play to here this, because radio stations are sure as hell not going to play anything from it. My two favorite AC/DC albums to go to are Flick of the Switch and Powerage, because they are for the most part completely ignored.

Now an obvious choice for me regarding AC/DC would be "Back In Black". I want to vomit when I hear half of those songs. I seriously don't care if I hear the likes of "Hells Bells" or "Back In Black" for a decade and I don't ever want to hear "You Shook Me All Night Long" again. I'm tired of the likes of "Shoot to Thrill" and "Have a Drink On Me" as well, as those are all songs that are considered safe AC/DC songs for radio stations to play. I don't mind the other songs on the album, but the heavy rotation of those other songs doesn't make me ever gravitate towards this album.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:56 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:


Now an obvious choice for me regarding AC/DC would be "Back In Black". I want to vomit when I hear half of those songs. I seriously don't care if I hear the likes of "Hells Bells" or "Back In Black" for a decade and I don't ever want to hear "You Shook Me All Night Long" again. I'm tired of the likes of "Shoot to Thrill" and "Have a Drink On Me" as well, as those are all songs that are considered safe AC/DC songs for radio stations to play. I don't mind the other songs on the album, but the heavy rotation of those other songs doesn't make me ever gravitate towards this album.

I have been unable to listen to Back In Black for about 20 years now. About a year ago I attempted it and said "nope, this is STILL so ragged out, I just can't stomach it". Maybe in another 20 years. Razz
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1589
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:38 am

I really don't think there's anything that I can point to and say, "Ugh, how was I into that?"

Even stuff that doesn't rank at the top of my list now can be enjoyable because it takes me back to where I was when I was sex nuts for whatever album we're talking about. Music becomes tied to people and places and just eras and it's sometimes fun to fire up the wayback machine and go back.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Albums You Loved Years Ago...   

Back to top Go down
 
Albums You Loved Years Ago...
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Blue Oyster Cult - The Complete Columbia Albums Box Set
» Lebrew Jones Free after 22 years in prison
» 84 Years OLD?!? Gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag
» Comedy Albums.
» King Crimson, 40 Years Later

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: