HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6461
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:24 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Speaking of leg drops, Axelmania is back, at least at house shows. Axel is also using the big leg drop as a finisher.

WWE sure knows how to waste good talent. They need to take lessons from mid to late 80s World Championship Wrestling. I preferred that over WWF and still do.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:41 pm

You know what the best part of WCW was for me?  Gordon Solie.  I loved the way he called matches.  He was understated but enthusiastic at the same time.  I've heard Solie is credited with coining the terms "Pier 6 brawl" and "crimson mask" for wrestling.  And of course for calling a suplex a "suplay". 

Gordon Solie and Jim Ross are the best announcers pro wrestling has ever seen IMO.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1381
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:12 pm

tohostudios wrote:
You know what the best part of WCW was for me?  Gordon Solie.  I loved the way he called matches.  He was understated but enthusiastic at the same time.  I've heard Solie is credited with coining the terms "Pier 6 brawl" and "crimson mask" for wrestling.  And of course for calling a suplex a "suplay". 

Gordon Solie and Jim Ross are the best announcers pro wrestling has ever seen IMO.

Miss those guys. In the 80's I was WWF only. Eventually I started watching Smoky Mnt. Wrestling. As the years have passed I have enjoyed those WWE DVD's on the AWA, WCW and WCCW. Some great stuff on those DVD's I really wish I would have given them the time back in the day. Love to see old clips of Solie when I can find them. I also enjoyed Tony.

Several years ago we used to get ESPN Classics and I started recording the AWA shows. Some great moments, some bad ones, but all enjoyable.

Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 18198
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Ahhhh, Mssy Hyatt. I had such a thing for her back in the day.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Who didn't?  I remember her being with Eddie Gilbert.

Didn't she end up doing porn?

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 18198
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Who didn't?  I remember her being with Eddie Gilbert.

Didn't she end up doing porn?

I believe so. Not that I ever watched, of course.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1381
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I went back and found an AWA match. Watch this botched move around 1:58. Ouch!



Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Didn't Lee Marshall also announce for Global Wrestling (or whatever Fritz Von Erich's promotion was called)?

If you want to see some classic wrestling segments, look up Lance Russell on YouTube.  He was the main announcer for Memphis wrestling the whole time I lived in Tennessee.  WMC had a live in-studio wrestling show every Saturday morning.  The main purpose was usually to promote whatever wrestling event was coming up next at the Memphis Fairgrounds using squashes, run-ins and beatdowns but everybody who is anybody came through that promotion.  Ric Flair, Randy Savage, Soultaker (aka "The Godfather" in WWF), Austin Idol, Eddie Gilbert, Terry Funk, Cactus Jack...you name it.  And of course the promotion was always anchored by Jerry Lawler.  I was there for the classic Lawler vs Andy Kauffman feud.  It was truly great.   And they never skimped on blood on that show.  Man, those were the days...


Stuff like this:


_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1381
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Cool! Will look for those old clips. I recently saw the hilarious Batman interview with Lawler.

Not sure where else Lee worked. He is also on that full show above that Andre showed up to (Clash I think?). I have seen the full show and lots.of greats showed up for that event. Never understood why Lee never went to the WWF. Some interesting trivia he was also the voice of Tony The Tiger after the oeoriginal guy died. I think Lee passed away a couple of years ago?

There was also a guy on AWA called "The Big K" that always used to talk bad about the Midnight Rockers. I liked Larry Nelson as well.

If you like podcasts there is a good on that talks all classic wresting called the 6:05 podcast, the only podcast on Turner Time. Some great stuff on there.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:36 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Cool! Will look for those old clips. I recently saw the hilarious Batman interview with Lawler.

Not sure where else Lee worked. He is also on that full show above that Andre showed up to (Clash I think?). I have seen the full show and lots.of greats showed up for that event. Never understood why Lee never went to the WWF. Some interesting trivia he was also the voice of Tony The Tiger after the oeoriginal guy died. I think Lee passed away a couple of years ago?

There was also a guy on AWA called "The Big K" that always used to talk bad about the Midnight Rockers. I liked Larry Nelson as well.

If you like podcasts there is a good on that talks all classic wresting called the 6:05 podcast, the only podcast on Turner Time. Some great stuff on there.



Yeah I watched that clip and that's what made me recognize the name of Lee Marshall.  I knew as soon as the guy with the deep voice started talking that that was him.

EDIT: I looked him up and he used to also announce for WCW.   I knew I recognized the name and the voice from somewhere.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6461
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:55 pm

If there's ANYBODY I can't stand more than Reigns, Cena or Zayn it's Goldberg.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1381
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:00 am

Something I didn't know about Lee Marshall:

Marshall was knocked down and repeatedly kicked legitimately to the head and chest by the Faces of Fear (Meng and The Barbarian) while on the floor. After the fight moved back toward the locker room, Marshall managed to get himself up and, after some difficulty (and questioning why Zbyzsko didn't come to his aid), finished commentating the match from his designated announcing position.

As for Goldberg, I don't mind him too much. The ones I cannot stand at all are Enzo and Big Caz. I absolutely hate those guys
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:03 pm

akeldama wrote:
If there's ANYBODY I can't stand more than Reigns, Cena or Zayn it's Goldberg.


I'm with ya on Zayn.  I loved watching Strowman beat the snot out of him.  And I agree on Reigns and Cena too.  But I have a soft spot for Goldberg because of Santa's Slay.  I can't see him and not think of something amusing from that movie.

The one I absolutely can't stand more than anyone else though is Bayley.  I just want to see everyone beat the crap out of her.  From her stupid entrance with those tube people, to her music, to the stupid hairdo...and even the smarmy look on her face.  I want Nia Jax to leave her as a stain on the mat.  I knew it wouldn't happen though because the winner of that match is facing Charlotte.  So help me if they have Bayley beat Charlotte for the title...and they're just liable to.  A) Charlotte's held the title for a couple weeks so it's time for a change and B) Bayley is so insanely over with the teeny bopper demographic WWE just covets so much.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:32 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
As for Goldberg, I don't mind him too much. The ones I cannot stand at all are Enzo and Big Caz. I absolutely hate those guys


"Whadda we got heyah?  Cuppla hatahs?"

Seriously though, while I enjoyed their schtick initially it's getting old now and that's mainly WWE creative's fault IMO.  They keep having Enzo get the hell beat out of him every week and meanwhile Cass isn't really doing anything.  Creative hasn't advanced their characters at all since they debuted.  Unless they're planning to split them up. which might not be a bad thing.  Send Enzo to 205 Live and let Cass be a face or heel (whichever they need) on Raw. 

Here's an idea.  How about splitting them up and letting Cass feud with Strowman on Raw?  That might be interesting if they book it right.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Holy crap.  So Ziggles is a heel again?

I'm watching Smackdown and Baron Corbin just beat Ziggler and was going to do more until Kalisto "saved" him.  Then Ziggles hit Kalisto. 

Let's face it, the Smackdown writing is better than Raw's but they need more people.  Bring up some of the NXT guys and give them a shot on Smackdown.  This turning people face/heel every other week is getting old.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:12 pm

That promo from Cena during the signing of the match with Styles for Royal Rumble was the best promo I've seen him cut in years.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6461
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:07 am

SD was good and I kinda like the shorter roster so less people get lost in the mix. Since before the split AJ has needed to tell Cena if he'd be just as passionate about the biz and lasted so long if he had to bust his ass in the indies/foreign scene.

The plan has been to split up Enzo and Cass ever since Enzo got KO'd at that PPV. Creative was so impressed with how he carried on in Enzo's absence.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1381
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:47 am

tohostudios wrote:
Holy crap.  So Ziggles is a heel again?

I'm watching Smackdown and Baron Corbin just beat Ziggler and was going to do more until Kalisto "saved" him.  Then Ziggles hit Kalisto. 

Let's face it, the Smackdown writing is better than Raw's but they need more people.  Bring up some of the NXT guys and give them a shot on Smackdown.  This turning people face/heel every other week is getting old.

I felt this was predictable.... But when Kalisto came out and grabbed the chair I thought HE was the one that would go heel and whack Ziggles with the chair. Somehow I just felt it. Went to bed after he attacked Apollo Creed (Crews!) so I'll have to watch the rest later today.
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 18198
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Evidently homicide charges against Jimmy Snuka have been dropped. What a strange case.


http://sports.yahoo.com/news/homicide-charges-against-jimmy-superfly-snuka-dismissed-230128096.html
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 pm

007 wrote:
Evidently homicide charges against Jimmy Snuka have been dropped. What a strange case.


http://sports.yahoo.com/news/homicide-charges-against-jimmy-superfly-snuka-dismissed-230128096.html


I saw that.  The whole case was weird.  The event was over 30 years ago, Snuka is even more batshit crazy than he was in his prime and it's taking place where I was born, Allentown PA.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6461
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:24 pm

The Mr. Ziggles heel turn was great too and not the usual heel turn. I like Kallisto but why isn't he in the CWD and on 205 Live along with Chin?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25081
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm

The Ziggles turn was OK except that he's already flipped several times.  He's not quite in the Big Show or Flair territory of flipping but he's well on his way.


He is much better as a heel though.  He just has a face you want to punch.  Couple it with an attitude and you get a good heel.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
avatar

Number of posts : 15481
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The Ziggles turn was OK except that he's already flipped several times.  He's not quite in the Big Show or Flair territory of flipping but he's well on his way.


He is much better as a heel though.  He just has a face you want to punch.  Couple it with an attitude and you get a good heel.

Plus he started his career as a heel. With talk about him getting close to hanging it up, it'd only be appropriate to go out as a heel.

Speaking of heels, I like how Jericho has gone back to his roots as a whinny over the top ridiculous heel. He perfected that type and continues to do so.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 18198
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:39 am

Quick question for all that still watch wrestling. I happened to catch the very beginning of either Raw or Smackdown the other night and noticed that Mick Foley was in the ring. Didn't he retire?
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6461
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:32 am

007 wrote:
Quick question for all that still watch wrestling. I happened to catch the very beginning of either Raw or Smackdown the other night and noticed that Mick Foley was in the ring. Didn't he retire?

Yes, he's retired from in-ring competition but he is now the RAW GM and IMO he's falling flat on his face.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW   

Back to top Go down
 
WWF/WWE/ECW/WCW
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Gutterbox-
Jump to: