HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Modern Rock

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fav Modern Rock band of these
Nickelback
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Hinder
15%
 15% [ 2 ]
Chevelle
8%
 8% [ 1 ]
Rev Theory
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Coldplay
31%
 31% [ 4 ]
Puddle of Mudd
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Papa Roach
8%
 8% [ 1 ]
Shinedown
23%
 23% [ 3 ]
Buck Cherry
15%
 15% [ 2 ]
Trapt
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13
 

AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju


Number of posts : 24425
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:55 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I see Disturbed as more of a modern Metal band than Rock band.

That's a really fine distinction to make but I guess I understand your point. But now you're splitting hairs over what's hard rock and what's metal and we all know how futile that is.

But it's your poll so we'll play by your rules. \'arry \'eadbanger

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju


Number of posts : 24425
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:58 pm

I just will NEVER understand why Coldplay is so popular.  I used to say the same thing about Radiohead when they were the critics' darlings.  

I'm not trying to slam anyone; I just seriously do not hear anything appealing in their music. And I can usually find something to like in most music.  It must be me though because they sure do make a lot of money.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever


Number of posts : 6841
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I'm a big fan of Shinedown, so they got my vote.

+1 The lead singer has an amazing voice.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate


Number of posts : 479
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:25 am

The term 'Modern Rock' seems to be synonymous with post-grunge. I never got into these artists. It's like Creed or Tonic making music for the aftermarket.

I also don't understand the popularity of Coldplay either. I find their melodies to be very mediocre and boring.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami


Number of posts : 23354
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:41 am

tohostudios wrote:
I just will NEVER understand why Coldplay is so popular.  I used to say the same thing about Radiohead when they were the critics' darlings.  

I'm not trying to slam anyone; I just seriously do not hear anything appealing in their music. And I can usually find something to like in most music.   It must be me though because they sure do make a lot of money.

I worked with a gal who was (is?) a huge Coldplay fan and she once described them to me as "a less pretentious U2". True or not? I dunno as I don't listen to either.

As for the poll, Buckcherry got the vote by default because I owned 2 of their discs once. They seemed like a breath of fresh air at the time of their debut, but got stale real quick.

Not real familiar with the rest of that lot.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami


Number of posts : 23354
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 am

tohostudios wrote:
If we're going to start naming favorite modern rock bands that aren't in the list I would probably go with Charm City Devils.  Their first album was more of a sleaze rock style but they've been modern rock ever since.

Those guys ain't too bad. I have Let's Rock n Roll. I like it well enough but I never followed up with anything else.

Hey Unc, have you checked out The Damned Things? It's a Scott Ian side-project, but I think it would fall into the modern rock category...




I really enjoy their album.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal


Number of posts : 1946
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:55 am

Is that the thing he did with his wifey, MG? I never really looked into it after those rehearsal vids were going around.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal


Number of posts : 1946
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:57 am

Don't sound too bad.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever


Number of posts : 6105
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 pm

See, I don't really understand the Coldplay hate. They have lost touch over the years, for sure, and their past few albums have been pretty tasteless, but those first few albums are a bit phenomenal, especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

There is a lot of U2 going on (and I wouldn't say less pretentious; U2 shifted from zero pretense to complete mainstream pretense throughout their career) but also some Rush, Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen, Radiohead, yet more accessible compositions and melodies. And the atmosphere they create on X&Y is very nice indeed. So I'm not sure what's to hate about them.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami


Number of posts : 23354
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:02 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Is that the thing he did with his wifey, MG?  I never really looked into it after those rehearsal vids were going around.

No, that was Motor Sister. That's good too though. Scott plays on his wife Pearl's solo debut, Immaculate White Fox, which isn't half bad neither.

This was a side project he did back a few years ago with the guys from Fall Out Boy and former Anthrax guitarist Rob Caggianno. I dismissed it early on, but after I read Scott's book, I decided to give it a shot (it's dirt cheap on-line) and found it to be quite enjoyable.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami


Number of posts : 23354
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:05 pm

corplhicks wrote:
especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

I'm out.


_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever


Number of posts : 6105
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:17 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

I'm out.


lol!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life


Number of posts : 12786
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:33 pm

"None of the above please"!

Actually a couple of the bands are OK, Buckcherry and Chevelle aren't too bad. Nickleback suck. I am surprised at the love for Coldplay - not my cup of tea. Plus, they cemented their suck factor during the horrid super bowl half time show.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever


Number of posts : 6105
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:09 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
"None of the above please"!

Actually a couple of the bands are OK, Buckcherry and Chevelle aren't too bad. Nickleback suck. I am surprised at the love for Coldplay - not my cup of tea. Plus, they cemented their suck factor during the horrid super bowl half time show.

Yeah, that was a total embarrassment for them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's


Number of posts : 30190
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:18 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
"None of the above please"!

^^ Whut he sez.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju


Number of posts : 24425
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:20 pm

corplhicks wrote:
See, I don't really understand the Coldplay hate. They have lost touch over the years, for sure, and their past few albums have been pretty tasteless, but those first few albums are a bit phenomenal, especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

There is a lot of U2 going on (and I wouldn't say less pretentious; U2 shifted from zero pretense to complete mainstream pretense throughout their career) but also some Rush, Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen, Radiohead, yet more accessible compositions and melodies. And the atmosphere they create on X&Y is very nice indeed. So I'm not sure what's to hate about them.


I like Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen are OK...but it's that last band you list that I most think of when I hear Coldplay. And I hate Radiohead too.... lol!

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever


Number of posts : 6105
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:27 pm

tohostudios wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
See, I don't really understand the Coldplay hate. They have lost touch over the years, for sure, and their past few albums have been pretty tasteless, but those first few albums are a bit phenomenal, especially for anyone with a love for 80's New Wave.

There is a lot of U2 going on (and I wouldn't say less pretentious; U2 shifted from zero pretense to complete mainstream pretense throughout their career) but also some Rush, Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen, Radiohead, yet more accessible compositions and melodies. And the atmosphere they create on X&Y is very nice indeed. So I'm not sure what's to hate about them.


I like Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen are OK...but it's that last band you list that I most think of when I hear Coldplay.  And I hate Radiohead too.... lol!

I do completely understand those that are not into Radiohead; talk about an eclectic group that changed genres every single album. Although I always encourage people to give The Bends a chance before completely dismissing them.

Also I would say that Coldplay is mildly influenced by Radiohead, but their music is miles apart. While Coldplay is pleasantly catchy and accessible, Radiohead is jarringly irreverent and unorthodox.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju


Number of posts : 24425
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 pm

But at least Radiohead had "Creep"; that's one more song than I like by Coldplay.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever


Number of posts : 6105
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:
But at least Radiohead had "Creep"; that's one more song than I like by Coldplay.

Funny story about Creep; that's the one song that the band completely hates. It was their breakthrough hit, to be sure (and it is a damn fine tune) but Thom Yorke couldn't escape its popularity. Suddenly, according to the radio and MTV, that was the only song they ever recorded. So on the follow-up album The Bends, this song was written as Thom's dismissal of Creep. It's also why the band became less and less commercial with each album.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju


Number of posts : 24425
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:40 pm

That's funny; I didn't know that.

I remember the first time I heard Coldplay.  I was listening to the local alternative station when this song came on and my first thought was 'Oh great, a new Radiohead song...yawn".  Then the DJ announced it was the first single by a band called Coldplay and I thought "That's even worse!  Now we have two Radioheads!"

Wish I could remember what song it was but you know how the human mind tries to block out traumatic memories...I think it was from that album with the weird half-a-head on the cover.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood


Number of posts : 2765
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:58 pm

corplhicks wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
But at least Radiohead had "Creep"; that's one more song than I like by Coldplay.

Funny story about Creep; that's the one song that the band completely hates. It was their breakthrough hit, to be sure (and it is a damn fine tune) but Thom Yorke couldn't escape its popularity. Suddenly, according to the radio and MTV, that was the only song they ever recorded. So on the follow-up album The Bends, this song was written as Thom's dismissal of Creep. It's also why the band became less and less commercial with each album.


I HATE the song "Creep" and due to hating that song, I never gave that band a chance. Some time in the late 90's, I'm sitting over at my buddies having a few cocktails and "Fake Plastic Trees" starts to play. Maybe it was the atmosphere that night, but I loved that song and it renewed my interest in the band. I love The Bends, BUT I still hate "Creep"! I have to be in a certain mood when it comes to listening to Radiohead, but I enjoy "Pablo Honey", love "The Bends" & "O.K Computer". The band started to lose me with "Kid A", which Chuck Klosterman loves! I think that was his go to album at the start of the millennium. "Amnesiac" was decent along with "In Rainbows".

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju


Number of posts : 24425
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:16 pm

"Fake Plastic Trees" is actually not a bad song but it's that whiny voice combined with the angsty lyrics that just make me want to hurl.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever


Number of posts : 6235
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Radiohead are absolute brilliance.

That is all.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood


Number of posts : 4832
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:13 pm

I have only familiarized myself with OK Computer, but I can easily call that album a masterpiece of music as an artform. That damn album never sounds exactly the same from listen to listen. New nuances in layering, structure, and instrumentation are discovered every time I queue that album up. It's a perfect album for just throwing on some headphones and shutting the world out.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever


Number of posts : 6235
Age : 45

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:38 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I have only familiarized myself with OK Computer, but I can easily call that album a masterpiece of music as an artform. That damn album never sounds exactly the same from listen to listen. New nuances in layering, structure, and instrumentation are discovered every time I queue that album up. It's a perfect album for just throwing on some headphones and shutting the world out.

In Rainbows next, then Kid A
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock   

Back to top Go down
 
Modern Rock
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The modern rock music poll
» Modern rock help
» Rock Classic - Fighter "Bang the Drum"
» HERO's Challenge - Christian Rock & Metal Collage #2
» An interview with Rob Rock.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: