HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Albums with different covers for different formats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master


Number of posts : 707
Age : 38

PostSubject: Albums with different covers for different formats   Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:54 pm

What are some albums that have different album cover art for the different format? For example, Dokken's Tooth and Nail has this cover on the cassette version:



Also, while not quite the same thing, the cassette covers of Manowar's The Triumph of Steel and Louder Than Hell albums are simply the whole picture as opposed to the foldout cover (for obvious reasons). Any other covers where the different formats have different covers?


Last edited by Hadley on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Glower
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1404
Age : 53

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:28 pm

I saw a very cool slight difference -
in Motorhead's "Ace of Spades"
I LOVE that photo - classic - right time of day - the whole bit -
So I was buying the CD - on Ebay - one day
and I saw that some of the cds had a slightly different photo -
still, damn cool -  humble
same with DVDs - I've noticed different cover images -
and it does make you look twice - like a hot chick - in different clothes



Last edited by Glower on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6841
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:02 pm

Hadley wrote:
What are some albums that have different album cover art for the different format? For example, Dokken's Tooth and Nail has this cover on the cassette version:



Also, while not quite the same thing, the covers of Manowar's The Triumph of Steel and Louder Than Hell albums are simply the whole picture as opposed to the foldout cover (for obvious reasons). Any other covers where the different formats have different covers?

I mentioned this in my Dokken thread. I have never been able to find an answer to why these are different.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 890
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:07 am

I remember getting a cassette copy of Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet when I was a kid and it had a different cover in that it just showed the band name, not the "Slippery When Wet" writing. I was disappointed.


Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3256
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:53 am

Blind Guardian's latest had a blue cover for the regular version, and a red one for the earbook.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master


Number of posts : 707
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:05 am

Not metal, but the cassette of Boston's Third Stage only has the logo on a black background as opposed to the spaceship leaving Earth cover that the vinyl and cd had.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3256
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:54 am

Gamma Ray's Empire of the Undead had a special edition white cover. The regular one was black.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 637
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:07 am

Pink Floyd's The Division Bell had different art for CD/vinyl and cassette.



Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6841
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:52 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I remember getting a cassette copy of Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet when I was a kid and it had a different cover in that it just showed the band name, not the "Slippery When Wet" writing. I was disappointed.



Maybe it's a "space" thing where the cassette is smaller and it would be shrunken too much? I never liked it when they would shrink or crop a photo to the top half of the cassette and put the song titles below it. Arrgghh!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30918
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 am

the sentinel wrote:
Hadley wrote:
What are some albums that have different album cover art for the different format? For example, Dokken's Tooth and Nail has this cover on the cassette version:



Also, while not quite the same thing, the covers of Manowar's The Triumph of Steel and Louder Than Hell albums are simply the whole picture as opposed to the foldout cover (for obvious reasons). Any other covers where the different formats have different covers?

I mentioned this in my Dokken thread. I have never been able to find an answer to why these are different.

If memory serves, the image used for the front of the cassette was also on the inner sleeve/lyric sheet of the vinyl LP.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the reason was cuz the image used for the LP cover (the monster claw rising from the water) is very "square" and would've looked weird if they squashed it to fit a rectangular cassette cover. The other image worked better for that shape, so they used it for the cassettes.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master


Number of posts : 707
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:54 am

the sentinel wrote:
80s Metal Lady wrote:
I remember getting a cassette copy of Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet when I was a kid and it had a different cover in that it just showed the band name, not the "Slippery When Wet" writing. I was disappointed.



Maybe it's a "space" thing where the cassette is smaller and it would be shrunken too much? I never liked it when they would shrink or crop a photo to the top half of the cassette and put the song titles below it. Arrgghh!

Kiss Unmasked is the biggest "offender" in this case, the comic strip cover is unreadable on cassette.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1404
Age : 53

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:26 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorhead-Ace-of-Spades-Japan-CD-New-w-OBI-/162050494523?hash=item25baf6503b:g:NTIAAOSwSX9XBJlm

Here's the other - slightly different Motorhead -
Ace Of Spades CD outake photo - Lemmy just puts his cig. down,
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6841
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Hadley wrote:
What are some albums that have different album cover art for the different format? For example, Dokken's Tooth and Nail has this cover on the cassette version:



Also, while not quite the same thing, the covers of Manowar's The Triumph of Steel and Louder Than Hell albums are simply the whole picture as opposed to the foldout cover (for obvious reasons). Any other covers where the different formats have different covers?

I mentioned this in my Dokken thread. I have never been able to find an answer to why these are different.

If memory serves, the image used for the front of the cassette was also on the inner sleeve/lyric sheet of the vinyl LP.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the reason was cuz the image used for the LP cover (the monster claw rising from the water) is very "square" and would've looked weird if they squashed it to fit a rectangular cassette cover. The other image worked better for that shape, so they used it for the cassettes.

That makes sense to me. Smile Thanks, Keith.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Albums with different covers for different formats   

Back to top Go down
 
Albums with different covers for different formats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Weirdest album cover contest
» Carbon Copy Covers?
» Mahavishnu Covers
» Comedy Albums.
» The best album of Bloodgood (poll)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: