HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8255
Age : 43

PostSubject: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 am

I accidentally fell into an online rabbit hole recently...and I believe we are well and truly "effed" in the Western World.

I was introduced to the world of Fat Acceptance?! What?? That's right, fat acceptance!! And their favorite catch-phrase -  Healthy At Every Size!!?  I guess I've been too busy having a regular old life working, playing, raising the kids, hanging out with momma, watching sports, listening to metal, etc...to know what's going on in the World at large. I now know or have at least been introduced to the words or terms:

Fat Shaming
Trigger(ing)
Thin Privilege (!!??)
Fatphobia
Healthism
Rape culture
Rape-apologists
Patriarchy
mansplaining
safe spaces
slut shaming (??)...and the coup de grace??...

trigglypuff (I dare you to just type this one word into the internet)



Shocked  
scratch

Anyhow, I don't really know what to think or say, except that I'm going to continue to raise my girls to be strong well-adjusted young ladies, push them to succeed (and to fail in the trying!!) and to model for them what a healthy normal marriage looks like. My wife will model for them how to be both strong, aggressive, determined and feminine, nurturing, beautiful and lady-like. I'm going to continue to love God, sports, fitness, being a "manly" man, complimenting women (who are well-adjusted enough to recognize and accept a respectful compliment), exercising self-control, manners, logic, and courtesy, and I'm going to expect the same from those in my life.

Thanks for reading. I've been coming to this site for nearly a decade, and I've come to appreciate bouncing things off the fine folks here.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2051
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:10 pm

While some things can get out of hand, a lot of what you list are just labels that should almost be unnecessary because most of them have to do with people just not being shitty as hell to each other. People should just not be shitty as hell to other people. I know it will never change across the board, especially on the internet, but one can hope, right.

Whether someone is overweight or not is nobody else's business and people most certainly should not be made to feel shitty for it. Or shameful of it.

A lot of the things on your list, like rape culture and mansplaining...if you don't think they exist and occur and actually affect people, well you are just living in denial.

Whenever I hear people talk about (or post about, more likely) how political correctness--which you didn't specifically refer to, but I inferred--is "ruining our country" and other nonsense, all I hear is "I miss being able to make shitty racist, sexist and homophobic comments without someone calling me out for being an asshole."

If you continue exercising logic and courtesy, as you mentioned, and are setting an example of same for your daughters (as I am trying to do for my sons), you don't have anything to worry about anyway...aside from the complimenting women part (most women, well adjusted or not, do't give a f*** what you or I think), everything you listed devolves from a lack of logic and courtesy. Especially on this here internet we are all inhabiting now, where people get death threats for not liking the same movies or video games as other people.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8255
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Good and thoughtful response!

Quote :

Whether someone is overweight or not is nobody else's business

Since my job is in Fire/EMS (and I'm also on our department's Fitness team) the opposite of this is exactly the case. The majority of everything I do on-duty is directly tied to people's weight and health decisions, the impact said weight has on them and their health, their mobility (which puts their family in danger), their family (obesity puts great pressure/concern/stress on family and friends), the health care system,  special equipment we use, how we train and learn special lifting techniques because of obesity, etc...


Quote :
...aside from the complimenting women part (most women, well adjusted or not, do't give a f*** what you or I think)


Brother, I don't know you from Adam, but if you think women don't like being complimented, you're doing it wrong. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2051
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:31 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Good and thoughtful response!

Quote :

Whether someone is overweight or not is nobody else's business

Since my job is in Fire/EMS (and I'm also on our department's Fitness team) the opposite of this is exactly the case. The majority of everything I do on-duty is directly tied to people's weight and health decisions, the impact said weight has on them and their health, their mobility (which puts their family in danger), their family (obesity puts great pressure/concern/stress on family and friends), the health care system,  special equipment we use, how we train and learn special lifting techniques because of obesity, etc...

Okay, let me re-phrase or edit it, then. If someone is overweight, whether they choose to change that fact or not is nobody else's business. I agree with all of what you said, about the affects of being overweight and I am firmly pro-doing everything you can for your body and health, physically and mentally...but that does not change the fact that it the decision lies on the individual, and whatever the decision, nobody should, as said, be made to feel shitty or shameful about it. Hence, fatshaming. I would not consider family and friends trying to talk to or convince someone that they should change their unhealthy lifestyle as fatshaming, nor a doctor's concern or advise about weight gain or obesity. But people being shitty to other people on the internet or even in person...I don't think it should even take a hashtag to make people see that shit like is just...not cool, bro.

As for the complimenting part, well...keep on keepin' on.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8255
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:38 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
[ nobody should, as said, be made to feel shitty or shameful about it. Hence, fatshaming. I would not consider family and friends trying to talk to or convince someone that they should change their unhealthy lifestyle as fatshaming, nor a doctor's concern or advise about weight gain or obesity. But people being shitty to other people on the internet or even in person...I don't think it should even take a hashtag to make people see that shit like is just...not cool, bro.


I agree with this.

My concern/bewilderment is the heights to which the Fat Acceptance movements takes their movement. To them, everything that doesn't affirm/praise/coddle/conform to their obese lifestyle is "fat-shaming".
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2051
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:48 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
My concern/bewilderment is the heights to which the Fat Acceptance movements takes their movement. To them, everything that doesn't affirm/praise/coddle/conform to their obese lifestyle is "fat-shaming".

Well, I guess anything can be taken too far, though I've never really come across much in this arena that seemed that way to me. And your initial post came across, at least to me, more as...I don't know...just negative towards the idea of someone wanting to not be called names because they are obese.

For some people, losing weight or maintaining weight is easier than other people. I don't think I know personally many people who are overweight that don't want to lose weight or be at a healthier weight, but whether they succeed or not...we live in a society that has traditionally wanted to make people feel like pieces of shit if they were overweight. You, if inclined, can go to Amazon and pick up some "No Fat Chicks" gear for your car or chest. Just weird.

We also live in a society where a lot of f***ed up shit is going on, which sucks. Something that helps a group of people feel more positive and better about themselves when most of popular culture is telling them they suck, I'm okay with.

I'm also lefty liberal pinko scum, so, you know...take what you will.
Back to top Go down
007
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 22056
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:30 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

trigglypuff (I dare you to just type this one word into the internet)


Laughing very hard

I did. And thanks for introducing me to that !
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
avatar

Number of posts : 7939
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:21 am

I think things are getting more screwed up on a daily basis in this world. Political correctness, everyone's a victim, respect my rights while I walk all over yours. Terrorists killing Americans but it's the guns fault. It's crazy! I know everyone has their own beliefs and opinions, and so many look for ways to divide instead of uniting.I just wish we had more compassion for our fellow man.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31371
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:13 am

The internet has always been weird.

It certainly intensifies during election years, though.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2201
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:42 pm

Scott Mitchell has always been one of my internet favs.  I am a fat shit - wish I was not, but I drink all day, every day.  This is my choice.  Being gay or a skin that is not white or poverty-stricken [in most countries] or having freckles, etc, is not a choice.  Yet, and I am sorry SM, Christians in this country judge these people unfairly every single day, all day long.  And I say, EFF THEM.  The conservative right has chosen their path of hatred with nominating Trump.  You want political incorrectness?  Well, that piece of shit is spreading it across the country.  Or, at least, making what has already been here, acceptable.  Either way - your bed.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6267
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:41 pm

Speaking to no one directly here.

There's no reason for anyone to approach this topic in a political manner.

I'm pretty left and in compete agreement with Scott's perspective.

Perhaps it's because my mom, dad, and sis are obese and wreaking havoc on our family as a result.

Or maybe it's because i used to weigh 385 pounds and was completely miserable and almost lost my kids and wife. I now weigh 230 and am happier than ever.

But the Red and the Blue simply does not matter in a discussion like this. The whole reason I walked away from Facebook was because I grew so tired of practically every topic being politicized. Completely pointless.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2201
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:09 pm

You are wrong, corpl. Simply put - every single thing in American life has political implications. Hide behind that rock, if that is where you feel safe. Everything in our life come directly from the Reagan Trickle-down effect. Live and learn young cubby.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2201
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:12 pm

You obviously did not absorb the original post.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6600
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:46 pm

The right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

A good old fashioned American concept that should apply to ALL people. Including those whose idea of happiness include 15" pizzas, or banging dudes, or worshiping a different god or wearing a Wonder Woman outfit.................

I find that I generally avoid being called any of the listed things by not being a dick and generally minding my own business.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31371
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:57 pm

I find that this song works in most, if not all, internet-hostile situations.


_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 26489
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:30 pm

That always makes me chuckle.   This must be a remix version.  The last time I heard this song it didn't have nearly these production values.  lol!

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
avatar

Number of posts : 7939
Age : 44

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:53 am

Uncle Sax, I love you like a brother but You are wrong. Wink
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 2051
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:16 am

corplhicks wrote:
The whole reason I walked away from Facebook was because I grew so tired of practically every topic being politicized. Completely pointless.

The only thing Facebook seems to exist for is to let you know old friends from high school have become racist conspiracy theorists.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6250
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:50 am

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 12801
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Laughing very hard

Scott - I've heard/seen most of that stuff before. Trigglypuff was new to me!

I will keep my comments to myself, especially since I am not in either party and can comment and blast both parties, I will just piss everyone off!


Anyone wanna bet who long before this thread has to be locked down?


Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
avatar

Number of posts : 9151
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:52 pm

It seems that everything is offensive these days & everyone is a victim. I wonder how the kids these days pick & choose which hashtag they want to shield themselves with. So many choices.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31371
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:18 pm

"Triggly puff" would be an excellent name for a band.

Quote :
Anyone wanna bet who long before this thread has to be locked down?

I dunno...according to some guy on YouTube, we Admins are all drunk on power and do too much of that. So f*ck it, go nuts. (shrugs)

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/


Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8255
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Yeah, I didn't want to start anything. I was just saying that I'm amazed at the way the World is heading these days. No need for a fight!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 12801
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:22 pm

mc666 wrote:
It seems that everything is offensive these days & everyone is a victim. I wonder how the kids these days pick & choose which hashtag they want to shield themselves with. So many choices.

They go to their safe space

lol!
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal student
Metal student
avatar

Number of posts : 105
Age : 81

PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:32 am

We're never gonna win the Super Bowl unless we're a cohesive unit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...   

Back to top Go down
 
My Trip down the rabbit hole...I think we're "Effed"...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» My daughter's mission trip
» Canoe Trip
» Business trip - 2017-03-21 (RINA)
» REMO, Evans, & Aquarian, what do you use' and why ?
» Hi-hat stands

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: