AuthorMessage
Wrecked Neck
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 333

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

My favorite Pink Floyd album.  So dark and depressing...
I kind of lean towards wish you were here as my favorite. Seemed like they were all more involved with the music than on any other recordings. I love just about every Floyd album though. Only one I can do without is the final cut.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju

Number of posts : 25081

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Both are great albums and both feature iconic album covers. 

I prefer Animals and Wish You Were Here over the more popular Floyd albums like Dark Side and The Wall (although I think those are good too).  I think I have a soft spot for Animals in particular because that was the album where I discovered how much fun listening to Pink Floyd can be if you are in an "altered state".  The track "Dogs" is the one I remember hearing in a dark dorm room in the late 70s and going "wow....".

Wrecked Neck
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I prefer Animals and Wish You Were Here over the more popular Floyd albums like Dark Side and The Wall (although I think those are good too).  I think I have a soft spot for Animals in particular because that was the album where I discovered how much fun listening to Pink Floyd can be if you are in an "altered state".  The track "Dogs" is the one I remember hearing in a dark dorm room in the late 70s and going "wow....".
I hear ya their, although what got me fully into them was the movie The Wall. I was home alone getting drunk and finally got my hands on this pink floyd movie I heard so much about. I was buzzed, but not drunk and was mesmerized so much by the whole thing I forgot to finish my drinking. Been in love with them ever since, and are my favorite non metal band of all. I'd almost say favorite band of all, but I love metal too much lol

Edit: when I was younger, I did go out and buy a copy of dark side on cassette. I remember seeing it advertised as quadraphonic sound, and my grandmother had a quadraphonic sound system in her Lincoln, so I had to hear it. I was too young to appreciate the musical genius of the album, but liked it okay at the time. I was more impressed with the sound effects though back then lol
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1532

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I hear ya their, although what got me fully into them was the movie The Wall. I was home alone getting drunk and finally got my hands on this pink floyd movie I heard so much about. I was buzzed, but not drunk and was mesmerized so much by the whole thing I forgot to finish my drinking. Been in love with them ever since, and are my favorite non metal band of all. I'd almost say favorite band of all, but I love metal too much lol

Edit: when I was younger, I did go out and buy a copy of dark side on cassette. I remember seeing it advertised as quadraphonic sound, and my grandmother had a quadraphonic sound system in her Lincoln, so I had to hear it. I was too young to appreciate the musical genius of the album, but liked it okay at the time. I was more impressed with the sound effects though back then lol

I often wonder if Pink Floyd would stand a chance in hell if they were a new band starting out now. 

Their albums are meant to be listened to from beginning to end and generally didn't feature "singles".  Somehow I just can't imagine today's A.D.D. generation having the patience to actually sit down and listen to an entire album from start to finish.  Hell, they'd be texting someone 3 minutes in. 

Same thing with other classic "concept" albums like Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" or Blind Guardian's "Nightall In Middle Earth" .  IMO there's no way music like that would fly in today's general "3 minutes or less" attention span.

Wrecked Neck
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I often wonder if Pink Floyd would stand a chance in hell if they were a new band starting out now. 

Their albums are meant to be listened to from beginning to end and generally didn't feature "singles".  Somehow I just can't imagine today's A.D.D. generation having the patience to actually sit down and listen to an entire album from start to finish.  Hell, they'd be texting someone 3 minutes in. 

Same thing with other classic "concept" albums like Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" or Blind Guardian's "Nightall In Middle Earth" .  IMO there's no way music like that would fly in today's general "3 minutes or less" attention span.
I doubt they would be the mega stars they were, but I bet they would be about as big as a band like Porcupine Tree. Which isn't half as big as they were of course.

I can't understand NOT wanting to listen to an album in full. Even when I am listening to my ipod, I rarely just shuffle songs, and always pick out a album to listen to. Guess it's one more thing to be thankful for, growing up when I did.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 6368

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:42 am

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:48 am

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss

Number of posts : 19247

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:48 am

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 18191

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:02 am

On the elliptical today :

Black Sabbath - Lady Evil
Mercyful Fate - Lady In Black
Savatage - Lady In Disguise
Accept - Lady Lou
Journey - Lady Luck
Tesla - Lady Luck
Venom - Lady Lust
Dream Evil - Lady Of Pleasure
Crimson Glory - Lady Of Winter
Scorpions - Lady Starlight
Vicious Rumors - Lady Took A Chance
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 20526

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
akeldama
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 6461

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm amazed how much better that edition sounds.

akeldama
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I'm amazed how much better that edition sounds.

This is my first spin and I agree. Steven Wilson did an awesome job and after burning myself out on Tull about 15 years ago I feel a resurgence of Tull coming on.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Warrior - Fighting for the Earth
Opprobrium - Serpent Temptation
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:03 pm

More Bosstones today:

Warmer weather always makes me want to listen to this band for some reason.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King

Number of posts : 22209

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Brother Firetribe - False Metal
Brother Firetribe - Heart Full of Fire
Brother Firetribe - Diamond in the Firepit
Brother Firetribe - Sunbound

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:28 pm

^^Let me know what you think of Sunbound. I've listened to it twice, and it hasn't grabbed me as much as DitF. Heart Full of Fire is still my favorite.

Last edited by glassprison on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King

Number of posts : 22209

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:30 pm

glassprison wrote:
^^Let me know what you think of Sunbound. I've listened to it twice, and it hasn't grabbed me as much as DiiF. Heart Full of Fire is still my favorite.

i agree. sunbound is not quite as dynamic as I have come to expect from BF. Heart Full of Fire is still their best - it is a classic.

PostSubject: Re: PLAYLISTS 2017   

Back to top Go down

PLAYLISTS 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next