HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond

Go down 
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1484
Age : 52

PostSubject: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 am

So if I'm going to start buying stuff by these guys where do I start?
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
avatar

Number of posts : 343
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 am

From the beginning...

MF- Melissa & Don't Break the Oath
KD - Fatal Portrait & Abigail
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6617
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 am

CRIMSONMASK wrote:
From the beginning...

MF- Melissa & Don't Break the Oath
KD - Fatal Portrait & Abigail

This

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5775
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

I only own the 1986-1990 roadrunner box set which, as i recall, contains the first five KD albums. I remember my favourites being fatal portrait, abigail and them.

I own nothing by mercyful fate yet, so i too am open for any suggestions here.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24608
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:38 am

My first introduction to the man/band was this comp...



Nice combination of MF/King Diamond tunes.I'll assume you're already familiar with what they sound like, so this might be kinda pointless for you if you want the full albums. But for a beginner, it's a nice place to start.

Otherwise, I'd agree with Crimsonmask.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 32182
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am

CRIMSONMASK wrote:
From the beginning...

MF- Melissa & Don't Break the Oath
KD - Fatal Portrait & Abigail

^^ what he said.

_________________
"I am reluctant to get too deep into politics, and I donít expect politicians to get too deep into music."
- Paul Stanley

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 3663
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:14 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
My first introduction to the man/band was this comp...



Nice combination of MF/King Diamond tunes.I'll assume you're already familiar with what they sound like, so this might be kinda pointless for you if you want the full albums. But for a beginner, it's a nice place to start.

Otherwise, I'd agree with Crimsonmask.

I have this, too. And never bought more, though I've heard them all.

If I had a chance to do it again, I'd do chronological order. Well, I guess I still could. But I've discovered I don't like it all that much to begin with to invest in individual Fate/Diamond albums.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
avatar

Number of posts : 1523
Age : 54

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 am

MERCYFUL FATE - " TIME " CD is his best

I have most of King's releases. Seen him in concert.
I have various bootleg concert dvds too.
It just sort of happened. He's not in my top ten.
I bought " Don't Break the Oath " album when it first came out.
I thought that was very - black metal - at the time. Great sound.
In fact, I recently bought Denner and Shermman CD " Angel's Blood "
The cover looks quite similar....and much more sinister.
I've watched many YouTube interviews also.
I have no idea how he writes these outrageously complex songs
After all these years - there's still a shroud of mystery about him.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24608
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am

Lari wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
My first introduction to the man/band was this comp...



Nice combination of MF/King Diamond tunes.I'll assume you're already familiar with what they sound like, so this might be kinda pointless for you if you want the full albums. But for a beginner, it's a nice place to start.

Otherwise, I'd agree with Crimsonmask.

I have this, too. And never bought more, though I've heard them all.

If I had a chance to do it again, I'd do chronological order. Well, I guess I still could. But I've discovered I don't like it all that much to begin with to invest in individual Fate/Diamond albums.

For a long time, this comp was all I needed too. Since then, I never got much more into the King Diamond discography, but I have added quite a few MF discs to my collection.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6538
Age : 50

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Buy Melissa. If you like that buy the rest of the Mercyful Fate & King Diamond albums chronologically.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wrecked Neck
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 798
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:39 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
So if I'm going to start buying stuff by these guys where do I start?
Well whenever I get into a new band, I try to start at the beginning of their career, and get them in order of release. So if you are planning on going deep, then start out with Melissa, DBTO, Fatal Portrait, Abigail. Somewhere along the line you might wanna pick up The Beginning, which has their debut self titled ep on it, and other songs from the Melissa era, but different versions of the songs.

If you're only testing the waters, then I would go with that compilation CD A Dangerous Meeting, or maybe the live King Diamond album, Deadly Lullabyes. Both will give you an idea of what you're in for.

Welcome to the coven.
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
avatar

Number of posts : 343
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:
So if I'm going to start buying stuff by these guys where do I start?
Well whenever I get into a new band, I try to start at the beginning of their career, and get them in order of release. So if you are planning on going deep, then start out with Melissa, DBTO, Fatal Portrait, Abigail. Somewhere along the line you might wanna pick up The Beginning, which has their debut self titled ep on it, and other songs from the Melissa era, but different versions of the songs.

If you're only testing the waters, then I would go with that compilation CD A Dangerous Meeting, or maybe the live King Diamond album, Deadly Lullabyes. Both will give you an idea of what you're in for.

Welcome to the coven.


Along those same lines, Roadrunner has a best of King comp out there as well
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6617
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Be warned: a lot of the early King Diamond and Mercyful Fate albums are currently OOP

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 15787
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 pm

CRIMSONMASK wrote:
From the beginning...

MF- Melissa & Don't Break the Oath
KD - Fatal Portrait & Abigail

Follow these instructions1 Laughing
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2959
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Mellissa & Don't Break the Oath, then Fatal Portrait. Fatal Portrait sound a lot like Mercyful Fate, but Abagail, not so much. I had a hard time getting into Abagail.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 798
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:45 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
I had a hard time getting into Abagail.
So did I. I was actually kind of pissed off about it, because it was so much different than the early MF stuff. Absolutely love that album now, but back then I almost started to hate King Diamond for it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6843
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:11 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Be warned: a lot of the early King Diamond and Mercyful Fate albums are currently OOP

I kind of doubted this as Melissa, Don't Break the Oath and Fatal Portrait are about as essential as it gets but sure enough they are really expensive to get on CD! With just about every half decent metal album from the '80s getting a reissue these classics must be due.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6617
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Be warned: a lot of the early King Diamond and Mercyful Fate albums are currently OOP

I kind of doubted this as Melissa, Don't Break the Oath and Fatal Portrait are about as essential as it gets but sure enough they are really expensive to get on CD! With just about every half decent metal album from the '80s getting a reissue these classics must be due.

Roadrunnder did the Complete Roadrunner Collection for KD a few years back...so it may be a while. But even that now is OOP. They also just did a 2-CD collection of KD...so it may be a while.

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 24608
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:04 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Be warned: a lot of the early King Diamond and Mercyful Fate albums are currently OOP

I kind of doubted this as Melissa, Don't Break the Oath and Fatal Portrait are about as essential as it gets but sure enough they are really expensive to get on CD! With just about every half decent metal album from the '80s getting a reissue these classics must be due.

Roadrunnder did the Complete Roadrunner Collection for KD a few years back...so it may be a while. But even that now is OOP. They also just did a 2-CD collection of KD...so it may be a while.

I was able to get the last 2 MF albums I needed (Into the Unknown and Dead Again) without breaking the bank. But yea, some Amazon/ebay sellers want ridiculous amounts, but if you search around you can find bargains.

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 6617
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Be warned: a lot of the early King Diamond and Mercyful Fate albums are currently OOP

I kind of doubted this as Melissa, Don't Break the Oath and Fatal Portrait are about as essential as it gets but sure enough they are really expensive to get on CD! With just about every half decent metal album from the '80s getting a reissue these classics must be due.

Roadrunnder did the Complete Roadrunner Collection for KD a few years back...so it may be a while. But even that now is OOP. They also just did a 2-CD collection of KD...so it may be a while.

I was able to get the last 2 MF albums I needed (Into the Unknown and Dead Again) without breaking the bank. But yea, some Amazon/ebay sellers want ridiculous amounts, but if you search around you can find bargains.

The Metal Blade era isn't too hard to come by....it's the Roadrunner stuff that's deleted at this point.

_________________
FINAL SIGN
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5459
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am

That collection that MG71 referred to is the best place to start IMHO because it can be bought for like 5 bucks. Keep in mind though that both bands have a ton of other good songs that didn't make it on that comp though.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 974
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 am

For me, Mercyful Fate has always been much preferable to King Diamond. In KD, there is just a little too much theatrics for my taste.

Melissa is mesmerizing. It is a perfect album IMO. Hearing Melissa back when it came out was just amazing! Don't Break the Oath is great, as are some other MF albums, but nothing tops Melissa for me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 32182
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Quote :
For me, Mercyful Fate has always been much preferable to King Diamond.

Ditto. There's just something about the combo of King's vox and the Shermann/Denner guitar team.

Even those last couple of MF albums, when Denner was replaced by Mike Wead, didn't quite have that same "somethin' somethin'" IMO

_________________
"I am reluctant to get too deep into politics, and I donít expect politicians to get too deep into music."
- Paul Stanley

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5459
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Mercyful Fate had the best riffs by far. VERY influential band. One of the people that helped (inadvertently) inspire thrash. King's riffs that he writes himself tend to be generic and bland, comparatively. But KD does have LaRoque, one of the best metal soloists ever.

"Melissa" is amazing, and I absolutely love "In the Shadows".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond   

Back to top Go down
 
Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Preview of "THE FLOWER KING" performed by Supernal Endgame
» Black Scorpio v King Jammy's v Arrows v Youth Promotion: Cinema 2, Kingston. 1985. "Shock of the century clash!"
» King Jammy's Superpower - 38 St Lucia, Waterhouse, Kingston 11, May 1985
» King Stur Gav: October 1982, Red Hills Rd Kingston (Featuring Josey, Chaplin, U Brown, Junior Reid, Don Carlos, Half Pint)
» King Jammy's: 1986 (2 hours!)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: