HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Is the retro thrash revival over?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
avatar

Number of posts : 12181
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:53 pm

I think the main problem with the young retro bands is that most of them are not good at songwriting like the originals. Some of them are excellent musicians, but that doesn't mean anything if the songs are generic.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5372
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I think the main problem with the young retro bands is that most of them are not good at songwriting like the originals. Some of them are excellent musicians, but that doesn't mean anything if the songs are generic.

I couldn't agree more!

Songwriting is the #1 most important skill and the one discussed and emphasized the least in metal circles.

I am glad however that young musicians can actually play nowadays. In the 90s it seemed like no one could play an instrument decently any more.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
avatar

Number of posts : 12181
Age : 42

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I think the main problem with the young retro bands is that most of them are not good at songwriting like the originals. Some of them are excellent musicians, but that doesn't mean anything if the songs are generic.

I couldn't agree more!

Songwriting is the #1 most important skill and the one discussed and emphasized the least in metal circles.

I am glad however that young musicians can actually play nowadays. In the 90s it seemed like no one could play an instrument decently any more.

It was bound to happen sooner or later...


Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
avatar

Number of posts : 22259
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The hype was driven by big labels and the audience gravitated to the wrong bands, for the most part. I'd be hard-pressed to name 10 retro thrash band songs that I enjoy, but I could probably do it.

Masquerader is brilliant technical thrash though. Like some of the best modern bands, they broke up too soon and got virtually no recognition.




I'll have to check them out. This slipped my radar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
avatar

Number of posts : 5607
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Suicidal angels and dust bolt are too top thrash metal bands from the new era. Still love to buy their releases.
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
avatar

Number of posts : 337
Age : 49

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 am

Not by a damn sight
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal novice
Metal novice
avatar

Number of posts : 45
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I think its going strong . At least here where I live (this lost S.A. country , with the strongest Metal Scene of the entire 3rd World) 80s Thrash and Heavy Metal are whats really "in" for the youth . They even try to use the cheesy 80s looks on their clothes , make ups and hair .

Here from our "jungle" , Id like to recommend Woslom , Nervosa and Violator , really great stuff from this field
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 31914
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Quote :
Woslom

I have their Time To Rise album ... it's badass headbanger

_________________
"I am reluctant to get too deep into politics, and I dont expect politicians to get too deep into music."
- Paul Stanley

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal novice
Metal novice
avatar

Number of posts : 45
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 pm

These bands are the ones who will keep Metal alive in the future . They must be cherished , not dismissed . I am personally a big fan of Suicidal Angels and Havok .
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal master
Metal master
avatar

Number of posts : 733
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 am

anthrax_fan wrote:
These bands are the ones who will keep Metal alive in the future . They must be cherished , not dismissed . I am personally a big fan of Suicidal Angels and Havok .
suicidal angels are awesome! Been really digging their sound a lot lately. Them and Destroye666 along with power trip are some of my favorite newish bands out there right now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   

Back to top Go down
 
Is the retro thrash revival over?
Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» SOUTH AMERICAN THRASH ATTACK!!!
» Big Tent Revival - "Hope For America"
» Best Thrash Albums Of The '90's
» Tighten Up crew present Trash & Ready: Catch, Shoreditch. 17 January 2010
» Asher G: The Dub Club, London. 1992

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: