HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 The Warrior Soul Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8174
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:06 am

I gave it one good listen but then that one was a "skipper" for the other two spins.

It is what it is. I feel almost guiltly are like Judas somehow because I know how much you guys like it.

Well, 9 times out of 10 you guys have steered me the right way. One clunker out of 10 ain't bad. (and clunker is too strong a word, but you get my point I hope)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30789
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 am

Well, you can't win'em all I guess... maybe you can trade that CD to MetalGuy71. I hear he's been having trouble finding Warrior Soul stuff and he wants to check'em out too after all the raving we've been doing about'em around here. Smile

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8174
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:16 am

I'll trade with him. I'd like it to have a good home.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25711
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:26 am

I'm gonna bring this back with me after lunch and play it in your honor Scott! :metal:

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8174
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:48 am

Play it twice!



On a side note, I was so excited when it came in the mail. Maybe my expectations were too high? However, life's too short. I no longer give bands "grow on me" time.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25711
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:52 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Play it twice!



On a side note, I was so excited when it came in the mail. Maybe my expectations were too high? However, life's too short. I no longer give bands "grow on me" time.

I seldom do either. I have too many other CDs to listen to to give a disc more than one or two spins.

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2682
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Warrior Soul are more than just another band that is judged on a nice melody or good hook.

Their way more than that, as good as the music is the lyrics and the way Kory says them is what does it for me. Cuts right through the music. Something to internalize, lyrics to go over and over again and obsess about.

Warrior Soul are way more important than the music.

Well that's how i see 'em and think how they should be judged.

Warrior Soul aren't an ordinary band, that can't be taken at face value or a few spins. If any band is a grower it's these guys, they deserve your ears a few more times Scott. Laughing
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23768
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Well, you can't win'em all I guess... maybe you can trade that CD to MetalGuy71. I hear he's been having trouble finding Warrior Soul stuff and he wants to check'em out too after all the raving we've been doing about'em around here. Smile

I tapped out on this Warrior Soul Fan-Boy A$$-Lathering a few pages back, so I missed this part of the discussion. Scotty, if you still have that disc to trade, holla!

As for me, I picked up my 1st Warrior Soul disc Last Decade Dead Century and I like it allot (except for that one weird track where he's just talking/ranting in a weird voice). While I'm not quite up to the staus of Freddy & Spec, I definately want to hear more from these guys. They slipped under my radar back in the day. I guess back when they were new, I was into my hair/glam/party metal phase and these guys were too "serious" or "political" for my tastes. Now that's I've expanded my musical horizons, these guys fit the bill nicely. In fact, I'm gonna spin it again today while I eat lunch.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8174
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Sorry Metalguy, it's long gone. I would have traded with you!


Quote :
Warrior Soul are more than just another band that is judged on a nice melody or good hook.

Their way more than that, as good as the music is the lyrics and the way Kory says them is what does it for me. Cuts right through the music. Something to internalize, lyrics to go over and over again and obsess about.

Warrior Soul are way more important than the music.

Well that's how i see 'em and think how they should be judged.

Warrior Soul aren't an ordinary band, that can't be taken at face value or a few spins. If any band is a grower it's these guys, they deserve your ears a few more times Scott. Laughing


I'm in it for the music! Lyrics add value only if the music is already something I dig. The highlighted part is especially silly. If I want important words, I'll read the Bible. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23768
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:46 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Sorry Metalguy, it's long gone. I would have traded with you!

Oh well, serves me right. I snoozed, therfore I loozed. No problem.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8174
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:51 pm

I thought maybe you were blowing me off!! Didn't want my stuff. Very Happy Somehow, this thread got buried for a while.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
avatar

Number of posts : 23768
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:42 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I thought maybe you were blowing me off!! Didn't want my stuff. Very Happy Somehow, this thread got buried for a while.

Perrish the thought. It's my own fault for waiting too long. I'm 0 fer 2 lately with you and your trades (this one and that Cage cd).

Actually, I'm gonna push the blame onto Freddy & Spec. Really guys, 6 pages on Warrior Soul? Maiden and Priest threads usually run out of steam after 3 or 4 pages, but you 2 moe's just kept this train rolling on and on. Even nu-metal bashing looses it's fun after 5 pages. 6 pages!?! How can a person be expected to read through all of this? angry
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8174
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:57 pm

It is their fault! Burn them! :montypython:
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
6 pages!?! How can a person be expected to read through all of this? angry

Yep. Get the fish stick out of your behind and get to perusing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30789
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:


Actually, I'm gonna push the blame onto Freddy & Spec. Really guys, 6 pages on Warrior Soul? Maiden and Priest threads usually run out of steam after 3 or 4 pages, but you 2 moe's just kept this train rolling on and on. Even nu-metal bashing looses it's fun after 5 pages. 6 pages!?! How can a person be expected to read through all of this? angry

Can I help it if they're such an interesting band?? lol!

Seriously though, you're right. This is madness. From now on all of my threads will ask for your ten favorite Metallica guitar solos, or what your favorite Pantera song is, or about old school shoes... all of which are guaranteed to garner maybe five or six repsonses, tops.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30789
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

As for me, I picked up my 1st Warrior Soul disc Last Decade Dead Century and I like it allot (except for that one weird track where he's just talking/ranting in a weird voice).

Ahhh yes, "Four More Years" -- I gotta be in the right mood for that one, otherwise that's usually a "skip button" moment for me too. Although once in a while if I'm in the right mood for it I'll listen to it and get creeped out. I've also been known to e-mail the lyrics to everyone in my address book on Election Day. Laughing

That rant is a hold over from Kory's days as a performance artist in NYC, he'd go to poetry slams, get up onstage and hold a gun to his head while ranting about the state of the world. Somebody at one of those performances told him that he should get a band together to put those rants to music. Thus Warrior Soul was born.

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2682
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
Warrior Soul are more than just another band that is judged on a nice melody or good hook.

Their way more than that, as good as the music is the lyrics and the way Kory says them is what does it for me. Cuts right through the music. Something to internalize, lyrics to go over and over again and obsess about.

Warrior Soul are way more important than the music.

Well that's how i see 'em and think how they should be judged.

Warrior Soul aren't an ordinary band, that can't be taken at face value or a few spins. If any band is a grower it's these guys, they deserve your ears a few more times Scott. Laughing


I'm in it for the music! Lyrics add value only if the music is already something I dig. The highlighted part is especially silly. If I want important words, I'll read the Bible. Very Happy


I guess were coming from different angles which is cool, i'm more the opposite.

I don't think the line "Warrior Soul are way more important than the music" is really that silly.

I was trying to say that Warrior Soul is an attitude, something to believe in and that Kory's words and the way he delivers them transcends the simple trappings of regular bands such as music based on a nice hook or guitar riff.

I can't really articulate it properly but Warrior Soul lifers kinda know what i'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
avatar

Number of posts : 2682
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:24 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

As for me, I picked up my 1st Warrior Soul disc Last Decade Dead Century and I like it allot (except for that one weird track where he's just talking/ranting in a weird voice).

Ahhh yes, "Four More Years" -- I gotta be in the right mood for that one, otherwise that's usually a "skip button" moment for me too. Although once in a while if I'm in the right mood for it I'll listen to it and get creeped out. I've also been known to e-mail the lyrics to everyone in my address book on Election Day. Laughing

That rant is a hold over from Kory's days as a performance artist in NYC, he'd go to poetry slams, get up onstage and hold a gun to his head while ranting about the state of the world. Somebody at one of those performances told him that he should get a band together to put those rants to music. Thus Warrior Soul was born.


I like that, it kind of reminds me of thee punk poet John Cooper Clarke who himself did that type of thing. Would in a rapid fire delivery report on the stink of the earth in the form of poetry. (I'm sure he was an influence on Kory).

I recently got Last Decade Dead Century on wax for a nice price from used record store. Great with the big lyrics sleeve. But it definately is different from the CD release i'm used to, i checked and it's the German pressing. Different cover and 4 more years isn't on it. Replaced by what appears to be an instrumental track called One Minute Year (I haven't played it so i'm not sure what it is).

German Press





Oh and just for fun, 4 More Years. Brilliant i say.


Playing wild, the dying children
From the gutter they spawn
A life created of indignation
Pride and seeker pause
Pig city, oil creation
Over sex-dosed the junk machine crawls
Missing is the laughter, from the death bus
While the eternal human war rages on

Can you believe how little you care?
The friendly face of the empire leader
Conquest of style, ego hate
Walk amongst the dogs
While the violence kills the declined state

Have you eaten today?
Iam glad
Your digestion is the sorrow of the hungry
So tired of rejection and stupidity

Cut away to Grey man
Isolation room, a crowd gathers
Fade to riot, As the furor screams deliverance
The claws of the predatory corporation dig deep
into the niave religion culture
Acceptance, blind virtue
their reason taunts the absurd
The beggar, he feeds the anger
As you burn sorrow's last word

Pain create the answer holy
Learn the lesson passion learned
Hate the teachers, oh so saintly
I kiss the pyre as it burned

Our need flows on, but we feel nothing
While emotion kills with no remorseful deathblow from Jesus
Only you can turn the key
to unlock the tortured riches inside your soul
And find the reason we live

Like some sort of God rejection
Place the blame on heads that turn
You watch the dagger rip through masses
As wheat and grain and corn
dry into a hatred reality,
screaming into a vengeful pit
Pitiful scream!!

The heart goes forward hating
Wanting life that cannot be attained
Justice seeker, pray for vengeance
The purist life is marred and staind

I want the World to heal
Iwant the world to love
But it cannot

4 More Years
4 More Years
4 More Years
4 More Years
4 More Years
4 More Years
4 More Years...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
avatar

Number of posts : 8174
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:50 am

Quote :
I was trying to say that Warrior Soul is an attitude, something to believe in and that Kory's words and the way he delivers them transcends the simple trappings of regular bands such as music based on a nice hook or guitar riff.

I know what you're saying. I'm saying that's not what drives me.

Quote :
I can't really articulate it properly but Warrior Soul lifers kinda know what i'm talking about

I'm not down. I don't dig.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30789
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:06 am

That's a way cool vinyl LP of LAST DECADE there, Rattpoison. Never seen one of those before. You should post that pic in the Vinyl Collecting Thread!!

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:08 am

Last Decade is my least favorite WS disc. I hope you get others MG so you can appreciate the entire spectrum of Warrior Soul goodness.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's
avatar

Number of posts : 30789
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:09 am

spectrefate wrote:
Last Decade is my least favorite WS disc. I hope you get others MG so you can appreciate the entire spectrum of Warrior Soul goodness.

I'd say he's gotta get SALUTATIONS FROM THE GHETTO NATION next, wouldn't you, Spec?

_________________
""We would absolutely love to put out a new record and get lumped in with all of the other '80s bands out there that still record and put out records that nobody really buys."
- Jeff LaBar, CINDERELLA

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on HubPages: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
NEW IN 2017: for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:11 am

..........Or he should get Drugs, God.... I fear he will reach the summit prematurely if he goes for the mighty Salutations next.

Wow, I do sound like a WS fanboy. Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
avatar

Number of posts : 25711
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:17 am

Just stay away from Chill Pill

_________________
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 am

tohostudios wrote:
Just stay away from Chill Pill

Wrong. Chill Pill is a good album. It just may not be instantious gratification.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   

Back to top Go down
 
The Warrior Soul Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next
 Similar topics
-
» ASHER WORLD v BASS ODYSSEY v SOUL II SOUL v DOWNBEAT: CANADA. 1994
» Modern Soul selection
» 80s & 90s Soul mix
» Wicked Soul Mix
» Loose Ends v Soul II Soul

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: