Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's

Number of posts : 32186

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:31 pm

^^ Yikes. Somebody poke Don, I think he fell asleep.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 6539

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:50 pm

Terrible!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker

Number of posts : 5012

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:41 am

Makes me sad.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:39 am

I saw Dokken in what I'll label some swashbuckling saloon in 2009 or 2010, somewhere around the Cincinnati area and it was really sad then. During "In My Dreams" that night, he held the microphone out into the crowd during the parts where he would have had to hit all the high notes. I turned to my buddy Chris and just sort of sunk my head. It was fairly obvious back then that his voice was shot. Don is really like the athlete, who has stuck around way TOO long. With all these embarrassing moments, we begin to forget the accomplishments that he should be remembered for and are now left with these moments.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 2246

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 pm

Quote :
I saw Dokken in what I'll label some swashbuckling saloon in 2009 or 2010, somewhere around the Cincinnati area and it was really sad then. During "In My Dreams" that night, he held the microphone out into the crowd during the parts where he would have had to hit all the high notes. I turned to my buddy Chris and just sort of sunk my head. It was fairly obvious back then that his voice was shot. Don is really like the athlete, who has stuck around way TOO long. With all these embarrassing moments, we begin to forget the accomplishments that he should be remembered for and are now left with these moments.

To be fair I think he was dealing with stomach cancer around that time. He gained a ton of weight and sounded dreadful. I think he improved somewhat after Broken Bones came out. I didn't even think he was that bad at M3 last year. The early 2000s was probably the last time that he was able to sing songs like Kiss of Death without dropping them down an octave though. He started doing that on the 2003 tour after Reb Beach left the band.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1484

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:46 pm

I have mixed feelings about getting the upcoming live album... I am a huge fan but I don want to be disappointed the way I was with Van Halens DLR live disaster a few years ago. I have heard the rerecorded Dokken's greatest hits and wasn't impressed with Don at all... The newer songs are ok because they were written for his current range but hearing the old hits tuned down was horrible to me...
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Quote :
Van Halens DLR live disaster

I still haven't listened to that. I imagine it must be one of the worst live albums ever released.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 7544

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:52 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :
Van Halens DLR live disaster

I still haven't listened to that. I imagine it must be one of the worst live albums ever released.

Yeah, that about sums it up. The boot I have from that tour is only marginally better.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 pm

I just listened to the first verse of Dance the Night Away on youtube... how did they ever let this see the light of day!!?? It makes the Dokken live track seem above seem listenable!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 6539

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Well this is much better than the awful live tracks:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:30 pm

The main riff and George's solo sound great! However the vocal melodies and especially the chorus are quite dull. And not just because Don is singing in a lower register. I think Dokken's past three albums have all had much better songs than this.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's

Number of posts : 32186

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 pm

New track is OK, but not good enough to justify buying the sub-par live album.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 5461

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:07 am

I am pleasantly surprised by the new song. I think it's very good. I did really cringe at the beginning of the video though. They would've been wise to leave that part off.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1484

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:02 pm

The thing is if you are expecting the glory days Dokken you wont find it.. Don is just incapable of doing it... When this show and album was made it was for the money alone...not the music and not the fans...All 4 members made that clear from the beginning....and they still make that clear. That being said I like what I am hearing. I like the new song a lot. And I like the newer Dokken albums in general. I am leaning to buying this album...
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:25 am

Some things about this album are just plain puzzling. For example, the dvd and cd have different track orderings, which seems pointless.

It's especially annoying on the cd with the fade-outs. For example, "The Hunter" is the second song of the live show on the cd. But, then six songs later at the end of "Tooth and Nail" you can hear them break into "The Hunter" again during the fade-out.

Then they put the elongated intro to "Alone Again" and the actual song as separate tracks...and there is a super awkward fade-out separating them! Who on earth thought that was a good idea? You can't tell me there was no way to simply bleed them together.

Taken on their own, the songs don't actually sound that bad, especially compared to what Don *actually* sounded like on the tour. Listening to them without having to see Don's listless demeanor and pouty facial expressions like on the DVD helps some. The exceptions would be "Unchain the Night," which is so downtuned that it sounds like you are listening to it under water, and "Kiss of Death," where Don changes the chorus melody each time he sings it.

I do really like the guitar solo on the new song "Just Another Day," and the acoustic versions of "Heaven Sent" and "Will the Sun Rise" are nice to have.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN   

Back to top Go down

DOKKEN
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13